• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

An analysis of what went wrong between Tepper and Rhule by Charles Robinson

Mr. Scot

Couple of things I gathered from those excerpts:

People want to pain Tepper as a Jerry Jones or Snyder (very controlling) kind of owner, but that really isn't the case.  If anything he is a bit too patient and lets people do their Job.

Sounds like he was actually right about the Bridgewater deal, if anything he should have pulled rank and acted more like Jones or Snyder.

Looking back was Rhule a mistake, of course.  Was Rhule a first choice for most of us here on the board?  No, but regardless of what people think around here, Rhule was actually on the radar of NFL people.  Even the author states the decision made sense on some levels.  Fact is hiring a coach is hard, more times than not they don't work.  I'll be curious how the next search goes.

Was passing on Stafford wise?  He won a super bowl so in hindsight it looks like it wasn't but even the author said a lot of owners would have been cautious in that regard.

Just like every other bad franchise in the league we need a good coach and a good QB.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I know it was ugly.  I watched all the games 😂

I'm just saying it was a foregone conclusion after last season.  There was no chance Rhule turned it around.  I think we all saw that except Tepper.

I think the "Year 3" mantra from rhule and Teppers not wanting to churn over coaches every few years played a part.  Oh yeah and the contract......

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I think the "Year 3" mantra from rhule and Teppers not wanting to churn over coaches every few years played a part.  Oh yeah and the contract......

One person with inside sources (I forget who) said Tepper genuinely believed the fabled magical year three turnaround was a real possibility.

An y such belief of that kind obviously disappeared pretty quick once the season started.

1 hour ago, thennek said:

Not a fan of his.    

Good call. I have never felt he would build a successful team. He has done nothing to change my mind to date and that includes firing Rhule which was the right move. He’s got a huge hill to climb and I’m not confident he can reach the top, or even close. 

It’s both coaching and lack of QB. The giants are winning with Daniel Jones. Baker looked better in Cleveland. John Fox went 7-9 with 90 year old Rodney Peete under center in 2002. A marginal starter may not get you to the super bowl but they can damn sure make the team a lot more competitive with good coaching than what we have witnessed from Rhule. 

• Pie 2

I'd echo the notion that Matt Stafford wasn't going to magically transform Matt Rhule into an actual NFL coach.

Would things have been different? Yeah.

Maybe even better? Possibly somewhat.

But the true bottom line is that Rhule was hired to a job he wasn't even remotely qualified for.

And while better personnel can mitigate that, they can't fix it.

4 hours ago, Jaxel said:

Sounds like a big point of failure was a lack of trust between everybody. Scary thing for a new coach, they better get the QB right, right away.

What I got out of it is that there was never the "adult in the room" so to speak.  There was no veteran NFL guy at the top to tell these 3 rookie bozos that what they are doing is idiotic, and is not going to work in the NFL.  A rookie owner, rookie GM and rookie HC is a recipe for disaster, and that is exactly what happened.  Hopefully Tepper has learned from this mistake and will do the opposite this time around.  Also, I don't think Fitterer deserves much of the blame in this whole mess.  I think by in large he has been a very aggressive, good GM.  So, hopefully Tepper decides to keep Fitterer and let him have a big hand in choosing our next coach.  

3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/10/13/23401627/carolina-panthers-fire-matt-rhule-david-tepper-next-steps

The ringer ways in.

Since Rhule’s hiring, the Panthers haven’t been anything other than a bad football team—a bad football team with a bad quarterback and a bad coach. Rhule was given free reign to mold the roster to his liking and multiple shots at finding a long-term solution at quarterback. But the roster isn’t any better today than it was when Rhule took over in 2020, and the quarterback situation is arguably worse. As the face of the whole operation, Rhule was an obvious scapegoat.

Damn

IDK if I agree with that.  I think overall the roster IS better than when Rhule took over.  Especially on the defensive side, and on the o-line.  We were a real mess by the end of Riveras tenure. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, joemac said:

What I got out of it is that there was never the "adult in the room" so to speak.  There was no veteran NFL guy at the top to tell these 3 rookie bozos that what they are doing is idiotic, and is not going to work in the NFL.  A rookie owner, rookie GM and rookie HC is a recipe for disaster, and that is exactly what happened.  Hopefully Tepper has learned from this mistake and will do the opposite this time around.  Also, I don't think Fitterer deserves much of the blame in this whole mess.  I think by in large he has been a very aggressive, good GM.  So, hopefully Tepper decides to keep Fitterer and let him have a big hand in choosing our next coach.  

Again, I respect the hell that tepper got out of the way initially and let hurney/rhule sign teddy even if it seems like he was apprehensive about it.  But then he went completely the other way and shipped teddy out and nixed Stafford.  There needs to be a balance and its painfully clear he didnt/doesnt trust Rhule and Fitt in building this team.

Sounds like Fitt is gone so hopefully he gets a new tandem and lets them work without his meddling

• Pie 1

52 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Just trying to prepare others for the inevitable. There's a lot of dreaming going on. Teppers next move will be much more pragmatic and less cutting edge hopefulness. He's looking for a lock.

If Wilks isn't it. I know a guy. I'll drive up to Michigan myself and help him pack.

It's probably gonna be somebody like Dan Quinn.  Honestly I don't know how I feel about that...

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Again, I respect the hell that tepper got out of the way initially and let hurney/rhule sign teddy even if it seems like he was apprehensive about it.  But then he went completely the other way and shipped teddy out and nixed Stafford.  There needs to be a balance and its painfully clear he didnt/doesnt trust Rhule and Fitt in building this team.

Sounds like Fitt is gone so hopefully he gets a new tandem and lets them work without his meddling

Is it really sounding like Fitt is gone too?  Where did you see that at?  I haven't seen anything that indicated that.

45 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

One person with inside sources (I forget who) said Tepper genuinely believed the fabled magical year three turnaround was a real possibility.

An y such belief of that kind obviously disappeared pretty quick once the season started.

What was always an incorrect/incomplete take since the 'year 3' outcome always just continued tracking what happened from year 1 to year 2, and we all know how that went in Carolina.

Edited by KSpan