• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jonathan Jones looks at Tepper and Wilks

Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The Colts job is considered a strong possibility. Arizona is becoming increasingly possible too.

Speculation that the Lions job could open up but I wouldn't bet on it. Ditto the Broncos but with a new owner, who can say Mike McCarthy could wind up on the outs also because Jerry Jones.

Beyond that, there's almost always at least one surprise firing.

Irsay is bat poo crazy with how he acts so there is always a risk with ownerships. Sean’s not coming here but he’s right with the there is no perfect situation comment.

Edited by Panthercougar68

Yeah it sucks that Tepper is an A-hole, but that’s true of many owners.

Hell, the eagles won a SB with a $hit show of a front office and they are undefeated so far this year.

I think Tepper’s desire to win means he is willing to learn and change. It will probably take him a while though. 

• Pie 3

16 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

Again, year over year it gets said "x is not a desirable job, no one will take it," and year over year said team gets their top 1 or 2 choice. I'm not worried in the least, we will get a good set of coaches to choose from, we just can't screw it up.

Disagree. I've never seen anyone but some fans say nobody will take a coaching job, but I have seen it said better coaches will not take certain jobs.

Also, just because a team says they got their top 1 or 2 choice, doesn't make that true. Do you really expect them to say all the good coaches refused to take the job so we had to settle for this guy?

12 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Yeah it sucks that Tepper is an A-hole, but that’s true of many owners.

Hell, the eagles won a SB with a $hit show of a front office and they are undefeated so far this year.

I think Tepper’s desire to win means he is willing to learn and change. It will probably take him a while though. 

I don't think Tepper cares about winning as much as he has claimed. This is a guy that said the NFL was designed to be a .500 league when it has always been a league of haves and have nots. That's not the sort of thing I guy that wants to win should say. It sounds like the sort of thing a guy that is fine with hovering around .500 every year so he keeps making money off the team says.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Disagree. I've never seen anyone but some fans say nobody will take a coaching job, but I have seen it said better coaches will not take certain jobs.

Also, just because a team says they got their top 1 or 2 choice, doesn't make that true. Do you really expect them to say all the good coaches refused to take the job so we had to settle for this guy?

It's not like this hasn't already happened to us.

Ed Dodds was considered one of the better candidates for our GM job. Right after he interviewed, he dropped out of the search.

We can theorize that was because of Matt Rhule, but who's to say there wasn't more to it than just that?

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's not like this hasn't already happened to us.

Ed Dodds was considered one of the better candidates for our GM job. Right after he interviewed, he dropped out of the search.

We can theorize that was because of Matt Rhule, but who's to say there wasn't more to it than just that?

It's not the NFL, but there was also the guy the Hornets were going to hire as coach that backed out after getting the job and staying as a Golden State assistant instead. The Hornets settled on repeating the Steve Clifford show.

18 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

I don't think Tepper cares about winning as much as he has claimed. This is a guy that said the NFL was designed to be a .500 league when it has always been a league of haves and have nots. That's not the sort of thing I guy that wants to win should say. It sounds like the sort of thing a guy that is fine with hovering around .500 every year so he keeps making money off the team says.

I don’t buy the whole ‘he just wants to make money’ thing. 

This is a guy who made 10 billion in just one year once. He could make a lot more by selling the team and focusing on trading again.

He does want to win. He was just acknowledging reality. He said that because he was saying the only way to consistently win is to have a consistent advantage. Which is true.

The guy has only ever won in his life so far. He wants to win he just doesn’t know how yet.

4 minutes ago, Tbe said:

This is a guy who made 10 billion in just one year once. He could make a lot more by selling the team and focusing on trading again.

He does want to win. He was just acknowledging reality. He said that because he was saying the only way to consistently win is to have a consistent advantage. Which is true.

The guy has only ever won in his life so far. He wants to win he just doesn’t know how yet.

He was a minority owner of the Steelers for years. If he didn't take notes and learn while there, he won't learn on his own.

11 minutes ago, Tbe said:

I never bought the idea that Jerry Richardson didn’t care about winning. Like Tepper, he just didn’t know how.

What’s most unfortunate is Tepper’s biggest issue is the same as Richardson’s. He trusts the wrong people.

38 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I never bought the idea that Jerry Richardson didn’t care about winning. Like Tepper, he just didn’t know how.

What’s most unfortunate is Tepper’s biggest issue is the same as Richardson’s. He trusts the wrong people.

Jerry had a better idea of how to win. He just hung onto players and staff he loved too long. 

He was also a bit cheap.

1 hour ago, jayboogieman said:

He does want the team to win but all the things we've seen to this point signal he can't get out of his own way and that just isn't going to change knowing how he has been in business all his life. The only thing that would make me feel better about the long term prospects of this franchise is if he hires a consultant and let's someone else take the reigns this go around. But I do not see that happening based on his personality.

2 hours ago, Panthercougar68 said:

What other coaching spots are actually gonna be open this offseason? Half the NFL had a new coach within the last 2 years.

Washington and Houston?

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

The Colts job is considered a strong possibility. Arizona is becoming increasingly possible too.

Speculation that the Lions job could open up but I wouldn't bet on it. Ditto the Broncos but with a new owner, who can say? Mike McCarthy could wind up on the outs also because Jerry Jones.

Beyond that, there's almost always at least one surprise firing.

I'd keep an eye on LA (Chargers). I know they just won so everything is all sunshine and rainbows, but he's not getting the most out of his talent, and even in a win last week, he made a questionable call.