• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Inside the Carolina Panthers' three seasons of quarterback failure

Vox

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't think Rhule wanted the job of developing a QB. He preferred to go with veterans that were already "finished products" so to speak.

Unfortunately for him, his evaluation of those finished products sucked.

It's a QB league and we hired a head coach with no interest in coaching one.  Genius.

• Pie 4

21 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

It's a QB league and we hired a head coach with no interest in coaching one.  Genius.

And look at what he did when we drafted one.

In college, you get a guy you recruited as a freshman, he practices for a couple of years then starts as a junior or senior (sophomore if he's special). Heck, you can even red shirt him if you want to.

That seemed to be how Rhule viewed Corral, but obviously things are very different in the NFL.

Mind you, Rhule being in "save me ass" mode certainly didn't help matters.

5 hours ago, Snake said:

Boy how I don't want to read that. Not only did we pick 3 dud QBs, run off our franchise QB, but also not take Fields who is looking more and more like a franchise QB. Complete failure in the QB department. 

Let's pump the brakes on Fields just a bit. I'm still not sold on him or Lance. That crop of QBs just hasn't looked right at all yet. 

• Pie 4

That was a very well written and insightful article by Fowler..........

I get this out of it..........

Tepper's hedge funding risk mentally was in full bloom hiring Rhule as an untested NFL coach from the college ranks...........

Rhule......seemed to trust his college coaching gut and didn't listen to more seasoned NFL personnel within the organization when it came to the hunt and negotiating QB deals. 

Finally, Tepper is a bit too much Jerry Jones like for me as an NFL owner through this QB saga and one must wonder what the long term implications of that might be for this franchise. 

• Pie 3

20 minutes ago, PghPanther said:

That was a very well written and insightful article by Fowler..........

I get this out of it..........

Tepper's hedge funding risk mentally was in full bloom hiring Rhule as an untested NFL coach from the college ranks...........

Rhule......seemed to trust his college coaching gut and didn't listen to more seasoned NFL personnel within the organization when it came to the hunt and negotiating QB deals. 

Finally, Tepper is a bit too much Jerry Jones like for me as an NFL owner through this QB saga and one must wonder what the long term implications of that might be for this franchise. 

This one line...

"He expects football guys to be 100% right, like they are evaluating a balance sheet, and sometimes they are flat-out wrong," the source said.

...chills my soul.

Dear Lord, I hope he's gotten that idea out of his head by now 😖

• Pie 4

3 hours ago, top dawg said:

I guess people see it differently. I see it as Fitt catering to Rhule who was beating a drum for Darnold and Mayfield (but especially Darnold).

Seeing how much of a spazz Rhule was during the Draft Confidentials it must have been a nightmare trying to work with him on any roster moves. You could also see in Fitts post season/off season pressers this year he was pretty confidently contradicting numerous Rhule-isms. I imagine his first year he was like alright we'll try it your way and slowly began to realize the guy was a moron throwing poo at the wall hoping some random players would cover up his lack of coaching skills

6 hours ago, Santee_Panther said:

Re Sam, that was Rhule’s boy. Rhule was Fitt’s boss, so Fitt secured Sam for two years.

Re Baker, Fitt was “open to it” at the right (low price), but he also wanted Corral. 

Fitt has said from day one you keep swinging on QBs until you hit. Nothing he has done has mortgaged our future beyond one year. 

Sounds too like Rhule completely soured on Darnold like he soured on Bridgewater.

I didn't think Mayfield won the pre-season battle and I'm yet to be proven wrong.

• Pie 3

48 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

This one line...

"He expects football guys to be 100% right, like they are evaluating a balance sheet, and sometimes they are flat-out wrong," the source said.

...chills my soul.

Dear Lord, I hope he's gotten that idea out of his head by now 😖

Very well stated................

I thoroughly enjoyed that article.  Thank you for posting it!

Of the "factions" we have in this thread, I'll go with those that are not sold on Fields yet and that the article paints a bad picture of Rhule but not of Fitterer.

Unpopular view: Although Darnold's 5th year option was a bad decision in hindsight, it seems like simple math to me.  Fitterer couldn't see the future, so he had to go with the math. 

Here were the possibilities if he waits:

(1) SD is the answer at QB but we either lose him to FA or have to bid against a host of other teams to keep him at a huge price.  LOSE

(2) We don't see enough in one-year to know if he's the answer, so we either lose him or pay too much to see him for another year.  LOSE

(3) He sucks and I look brilliant for not exercising the 5th year option. WIN

If he exercises the option:

(1) SD's the answer and I look brilliant.  WIN

(2) We don't know yet, but I've given us the 2nd year we need to make the call. WIN

(3) He sucks and I cost us an average of $11 million on the attempt and use him as #2 in year 2, or possibly as a mentor and stopgap for a drafted rookie's 1st year. LOSE

Again, we NOW know.  But the risk of losing your answer at QB vs. paying a bit too much for a backup/mentor seems like an easy decision.  I think he took the correct risk even though it didn't turn out the way we wanted.

• Pie 6

16 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Sounds too like Rhule completely soured on Darnold like he soured on Bridgewater.

I didn't think Mayfield won the pre-season battle and I'm yet to be proven wrong.

All I know is that a lot of people said Darnold looked good. Technically he was supposed to have looked good in camp last year as well, so how seriously do you take it?

What I ultimately take from the story though is this question: If Rhule had no intention of starting anybody but Baker, why the hell did he have that dumbass quarterback competition in the first place?

Was it just so he could look like he gave Darnold a chance? Great. That means you sacrificed reps that could have been used to get the starter ready just to bolster your own image.

And then after all that, he came out saying that the quarterback competition "really brought the locker room together". Good grief 🙄

I think that statement is the one shining moment in the entire dung pile where he looked the most like a complete clown.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1