• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College Games

Shocker

10 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I already did a  write in one of these college QB threads breaking his throwing motion down. He has a lot to work on when he joins the NFL.  He has the Tebo "wind up" issue. He starts his throw from his hip and drives the ball up before getting to his release point. Image below.  

That throw starting point is going to be a big problem in the NFL. 

strou release.PNG

Yeah it starts low but takes .3 seconds to get out of his hands for an average pass. I don’t consider that an issue. Sure he can clean it up more, but that is more than adequate for the NFL IMO.

3 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

That’s why I asked, who are you judging?

By that reasoning, we should be looking at teams and players from teams that you can apparently judge.

As Ohio State has the 12th ranked SOS, it would leave me to believe that we can only judge teams that have a better SOS than them.

So which teams can we say… yeah, they are legit… Bama and Tennessee? Maybe Oklahoma State?

How should we take this strength of opponent situation into context when Kentucky and Tenn play later? 

2 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

That’s why I asked, who are you judging?

By that reasoning, we should be looking at teams and players from teams that you can apparently judge.

As Ohio State has the 12th ranked SOS, it would leave me to believe that we can only judge teams that have a better SOS than them.

So which teams can we say… yeah, they are legit… Bama and Tennessee? Maybe Oklahoma State?

I think the piece that I did a poor job of communicating is that calling a team the best in the nation before they have to play the best in the nation, is premature. Thats the issue with college football. It's also why I am a fan of the super conference concept. Similiar to how FIFA runs the Premiere ship. You earn and lose your spot in a super conference. 

College football is a sport where the talent outweighs schemes and coaches. 

1 minute ago, Jackie Lee said:

How should we take this strength of opponent situation into context when Kentucky and Tenn play later? 

Hell I don’t know, I don’t pay too much attention to that. I like the advanced stats but at the end of the day I trust my eyes more than a computer.

I think OSU is a very good team regardless of who they are playing.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah it starts low but takes .3 seconds to get out of his hands for an average pass. I don’t consider that an issue. Sure he can clean it up more, but that is more than adequate for the NFL IMO.

Where the balls starts and ends in the throwing motion is EVERYTHING. Time to throw is a good attribute, but if that ball starts low, a defender can knock it out of their hand before they can even exercise that .3 TTT.

This is one of the HUGE issues with Fields and why he led the NFL in turnovers last year. The Bears QB staff spent the entire offseason coaching him to bring his starting motion hire. However, he still goes bac to his habits, much like what we saw with Cam when our coaches tried to help compact his throwing motion.

4 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I am having the conversation around schedules with @MillionDollarCam- not sure how that made its way into this convo since we are talking about Stroud as a QB.

Levis has already proven he has the tangibles to carry a team. KY is b rated talent in college and they are maintaining position ina  tough conference.He isnt the focus here though. You dont draft QBs because of where their team finishes, but rather their tangibles and ability to lead football teams. 

Stroud is just a cog in the OSU machine. What I am holding against Stroud is that he hasnt had to show the true tangibles of an NFL ready QB. He has okay mechanics, and he is the most athletic person on the field, so he wont be able to use his deet to separate himself. He also doesnt have the arm strength you would want from a QB that is taken #1 overall. He is comfortbale behind Young, Levis and Hooker when it comes to arm strength. 

Put Stroud on another program, say KY? He isnt even up for discussion as #1. 

Again this is my perspective and from my studies of film review and reddit/message boards.

“They have yet to play a competitive offense. OSU has such an easy schedule. This is their only ranked opponent on the year before they end the season with Michigan. PSU offense is really bad because their QB cant throw the ball. If their run game is stopped, they are nothing”

Thats where the conversation started about schedule.

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I think the piece that I did a poor job of communicating is that calling a team the best in the nation before they have to play the best in the nation, is premature. Thats the issue with college football. It's also why I am a fan of the super conference concept. Similiar to how FIFA runs the Premiere ship. You earn and lose your spot in a super conference. 

College football is a sport where the talent outweighs schemes and coaches. 

Eventually I think we will see a super conference. That’s why I think all the independents (outside of Notre Dame) joined a conference. On the downside of that, a super conference could destroy college basketball.

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

Where the balls starts and ends in the throwing motion is EVERYTHING. Time to throw is a good attribute, but if that ball starts low, a defender can knock it out of their hand before they can even exercise that .3 TTT.

This is one of the HUGE issues with Fields and why he led the NFL in turnovers last year. The Bears QB staff spent the entire offseason coaching him to bring his starting motion hire. However, he still goes bac to his habits, much like what we saw with Cam when our coaches tried to help compact his throwing motion.

Definitely not everything. The ball pats (Baker, Howell) and time it takes definitely goes into play for CBs and pass rushers to see where/when the pass is happening/going. Holding it low is definitely a weakness that needs to be cleaned up, but it’s not uncommon to see that at the next level. His footwork is another positive. That’s a pretty good video on what makes him a good thrower. If you get a moment you should check it out. 

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

“They have yet to play a competitive offense. OSU has such an easy schedule. This is their only ranked opponent on the year before they end the season with Michigan. PSU offense is really bad because their QB cant throw the ball. If their run game is stopped, they are nothing”

Thats where the conversation started about schedule.

gotcha okay then. I thought were talking about Stroud.