• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why I feel Wilks needs another season to win his job.

Snake

3 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

connections: Cameron Turner, Mike Mccoy, byron Leftwich

oof

Technically Scott Turner also through Norv, plus Freddie Kitchens and Rob Chudzinski.

(granted that doesn't necessarily lessen the "oof")

I don't count McCoy because he fired him in Arizona, but you never know.

3 hours ago, Pakmeng said:

There's more than half a season left. No reason to make a judgement about this now.

I dont think we will have problems attracting candidates. It's an NFL team. Just forget about Payton as that's a waste of resources and the saints aren't trading us his rights.

I also don't think we are devoid of talent anywhere near the extent to which a first time coach would not want the job. That's only a concern with the retreads.

They will free up cap space. 

Pretty much. He has ample time to audition and show he is the guy the remainder of the year.

The cap has proven to be a mirage. If we are smart we will be fine.

29 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He has the rest of this season. Plenty of football left to play for him to show he can be the guy or possibly crash and burn. No need to make any decisions now.

Does he though? I mean McAdoo is his OC and I really don't even know who is the DC. Not a great situation to prosper in. Then again next year is pretty bleek too. 

Even if he can hire a great OC he will have a lot of trouble keeping said OC. Just hire the offensive HC and make an offer to Wilks as a DC. Wilks is not the future of the NFL, he is the past. What makes him limited as a HC is what makes him ideal as an interim HC, good culture and conservative with zero expectations. I don't like much of his coaching connections so I doubt I would be impressed with his staff. I don't like his desire to play zone coverage. Run first this year is fine, next year with a rookie is expected for at least a while and after that is a failure in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Interim coaches don't get two seasons to prove themselves.

If he wins the job, it's going to be this season. They're not going to put off hiring a new coach for another whole year just to "make sure" about Wilks.

To be fair normally they don't but really what would show in this season he can rebuild this team correctly? He hasn't exactly got a great group of coaches around him. 

1 hour ago, poundaway said:

Any time you are in "prove it" mode, its a bad situation.  For Tepper  to tell Wilks he has to prove it, again, wouldn't be fair to Wilks or the Panthers.  Having Wilks bring in new staff next year only to let them go because they didn't "prove it" the  makes no sense.

If Wilks coaches next year, its for at least two seasons.

It's not a punishment to be a HC in the NFL in any capacity. Going by this logic it would be suicide to be a interim coach to begin with. Because absolutely nothing is promised. 

1 hour ago, Sgt Schultz said:

There is a logic to that. 

Normally, when teams go through a disaster of a HC, their next hire is a guy who can provide stability.  Think John Fox at Denver as an example.  Somebody has to come in, sweep up that ashes, and put the furniture back in place.

The Eagles proved that does not have to be done, and that Denver team proved stability does not have to come at the expense of winning. 

I think we walked out of the Rhule debacle younger and maybe in better shape than both of those teams.  And maybe canning The Process early allows this year to be the year the ashes are swept up and the furniture starts to get put in place.  We still have work to do, though.

This would be the ideal situation. My point is if those guys go to other teams do we roll with a retread, just a guy, or give wilks a little more time to see what happens. I mean it's not anyone's best case scenario. Just like giving Wilks a 3 year deal wouldn't be either. 

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

To be fair normally they don't but really what would show in this season he can rebuild this team correctly? He hasn't exactly got a great group of coaches around him. 

That's every interim coach.

Sorry dude but he either gets the job or he doesn't. There's just no such thing as a second year interim coach.

(granted there was a second year interim GM but that was because Richardson was trying to duck the Rooney Rule; no such thing applies here)

4 hours ago, Snake said:

We are not even promised that this year. We win one more game and we are picking 5 through 7. Do you think we are going to be able to outsuck the Lions and Texans? Do you feel Fitt isn't capable of drafting a QB? Thought? 

I don’t see us finishing worse than the Texans but I do think we could finish worse than the Lions. They are somewhat unlucky to not have more wins right now and they are really scoring a ton of points. They get a healthy Swift back and St Brown at 100% and they’ll win more than us in the end imo. I think we end up picking #2 when it’s all said and done. 

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You gotta make a call. He's the guy or he isn't. You can't get playing hot potato with head coaches year after year.

To my original question. This would be if we can't land a top prospect. Do you play hot potato with a retread? Is Dangerous Quinn better choice than wilks. Raheem Morris? If we can't get a hot talent which most OCs are do we settle for those guys? Or kick the can down the road a bit and build our team with Fitt at the helm. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's every interim coach.

Sorry dude but he either gets the job or he doesn't. There's just no such thing as a second year interim coach.

(granted there was a second year interim GM but that was because Richardson was trying to duck the Rooney Rule; no such thing applies here)

It would look more like a two year deal. Not that drastic from what most new coaches get from owners. Well I guess unless you're David Tepper. 😕

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's my turn now......I would caution against absolutes when the guy ultimately making this decision is David "the Trailblazer" Tepper.

It really hurt to type that.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Snake said:

To my original question. This would be if we can't land a top prospect. Do you play hot potato with a retread? Is Dangerous Quinn better choice than wilks. Raheem Morris? If we can't get a hot talent which most OCs are do we settle for those guys? Or kick the can down the road a bit and build our team with Fitt at the helm. 

Are we pretending Wilks isn't a retread?

If Tepper can't land a top candidate then I hate to say it but we're fuged. It basically means guys with other options don't wanna work for him.