• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Anderson and (insert pick #17-36 QB selection) more bang for the buck?

thunderraiden

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Who is your mid-tier sleeper?  Penix is getting overlooked IMO, Richardson has the crazy ceiling, but is raw as a passer....

I'm still bullish on McCall.  Dude just doesn't make many errors.  I think his draft stock will jump after it is all said and done.  Not first rounder, as high as the second.  He gives me Russell Wilson vibes, but not as short. Wilson just made plays even though he was never really viewed a true gunslinger.  I get it, he doesn't have the biggest arm, but right now we have dudes with big arms that are turnover machines.

Edited by 45catfan

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I'm still bullish on McCall.  Dude just doesn't make many errors.  I think his draft stock will jump after it is all said and done.  Not first rounder, as high as the second.  He gives me Russell Wilson vibes, but not as short. Wilson just made plays even though he was never really viewed a true gunslinger.  I get it, he doesn't have the biggest arm, but right now we have dudes with big arms that are turnover machines.

I haven't watched much McCall so I can't really be a fair judge of him.  From what I read it will be a big change in the offense he runs to a NFL offense (like Hooker and Corral).  That's not really a negative for him, just a question mark.  Competition might be held against him, but if he is putting up those numbers who cares.  

1 minute ago, firefox1234 said:

No more this obsession with defense. If you don’t have a QB you should either be picking a QB or at the very least setting up whichever QB you do pick to succeed. That’s how we end up wasting Cam or find ourself in the current mess we are in now.

Yeah once you have your QB you can really sit back and let BPAs fall to you while other teams are trying to trade up and draft one.  It's the most important step in building a solid roster.  

21 minutes ago, Icege said:

I think that the biggest bang for buck will be trading down.

The best QB in this draft is 5'10" 190lbs. Even with a solid OL, that's going to be a big point of concern (especially for a team that's had injuries rack up at the QB position). If the team moved on from Burns, then yea go get Anderson but unless the team is looking to move to a 3-4 base I don't see it being a good fit.

With all of the clamoring over the importance of picks for rebuilding after Burns wasn't traded, the lack of a clear #1 franchise QB, and the #1 player basically being a copy of our current premiere pass rusher, making a trade similar to what was made for Trey Lance would net the team those beloved draft picks and give the coach that "free year" with Matt Corral at QB to see what he's got (he'd be in the discussion for QB1 in this year's draft if he stayed for his Sr year). If he's ass trash, then there's ammo to move up to #1 for Drake Maye 👀

I think the mistake many are making is this assumption that Anderson is some far and away #1.  Jalen Carter & Myles Murphy could very well be above him in many team's eyes, just like Walker was last year.  Heck, Nolan Smith is the same size and a better run-defender.  And then Tyree Wilson's size and abilities are tantalizing.  The top of this DL class is not set by any means, especially with how inconsistent Anderson has been.  He is simply not a #1 Pick as things stand.  

And you just never can put your eyes on a single QB prospect this early before their draft. There is so much that can happen between now and then.  We made that mistake with Luck as a fanbase.  At least then, we got lucky with Cam, but this time Caleb Williams is the other prominent name, who honestly has similar frame/size concerns as Bryce for those nervous on that front. 

Just think this whole Maye idea flirting in the back of minds needs to fizzle and it begins with this test run idea for Corral with a new coach.   You get the coach, figure out what he wants, get that QB room together.  And a lot of the time, it usually doesn't involve mid-round picks from a previous regime.  And it doesn't involve wishing for the next draft.  Get the best QBs you can find in the position you're in whether be trade market, FA or draft.  In our instance, we've soured on the first two fronts, so it's top of draft time.  Just see no way it's otherwise for a new coach.  

If we miss out on a QB, and are sitting here next year with a few rookies looking great and we're out of reach for that 1 guy we wanted, then well, continue the purgatory.  I prefer swinging for the fences.  Never settle.  

1 hour ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Get a QB better than Corral. Period.

Didn’t you see his talent jump off the screen throwing balls in a net he’s better than all the QBs in this draft. Even though the NFL told us his pre draft talent was barely 3rd round, he’s made of glass plus he looked horrible against 4th string players in preseason