• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft prospects other than QB

DaveThePanther2008

18 minutes ago, SazmoRanger said:

“I think he has immense skill but just not good at the position of QB.”

What????? So because he’s big, strong, fast, etc we(or any team) should draft him in the top 10? Sh*t, I’m desperate for a QB as much as the next guy, but that just sounds dumb. I look at Fields and he’s not polished as a thrower, but he came out of college 20x the thrower that Richardson is. You’re talking about drafting a guy in the top 10 where our coaches have to actually teach him how to throw a football? Pass

I am not disagreeing with you here but I am just connecting the dots IMO.  We are going to win enough that we are hovering around picks 6-9.  So the top 3 presumably will be gone.   We will have a new offensive coaching staff on a brand new timetable with a minimum 3 years to operate (probably more if they show any sign of improvement).  AR is going to blow people away in the underwear olympics and his coaches are going to give rave reviews about him as a leader etc.   Some team (IE us) with time to invest in him is going to gamble on the prospect.  I have said many times before I just dont know if I have the stomach for such a project given we havent won jack poo in so long.   However in the rare case that he hits we are in business.

I have watched him and I have said about 2 out of every 10 or so plays he makes a jaw dropping throw.  That at least shows there is something there to hang your hat on

I dont agree with it 100%, I will be on board if thats the case, all I am saying is I could easily see the above scenario playing out.

that is off course if we dont sell the farm to move up to #2. which I also have mixed feelings about

Edited by mrcompletely11
  • Beer 1

This isn't as loaded of a WR as in years past but Jordan Addison and Quinten Johnson are both awesome.  I'm quite satisfied we landed Horn in 21 and Icky to have a future LT, but I would be lying if I wasn't jealous of what Garrett Wilson and Justin Jefferson have been doing and did have a strong spider sense with both.  I just don't see how Addison doesn't come into the NFL and is a hit off the bat.

Not to mention a whole group of others in recent years that have been propelling teams into the playoffs and beyond.  Chase, Higgins, G Davis, Brown, Deebo, Smith, Jefferson, CeeDee, Metcalf, the list goes on.  The best teams have these arsenals of weapons and you just can't stop stocking up.  

I'm not going to be content with DJ & the potential of TMJ after this year.  We need to keep adding for a new QB.  But yes, of course the QB is the greater priority.

It's why in the likely case of us going QB first, would love to grab Zay Flowers/Hyatt/Hutchinson in the 2nd.  This class starts to drop off IMO after about WR 5ish.  

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I am not disagreeing with you here but I am just connecting the dots IMO.  We are going to win enough that we are hovering around picks 6-9.  So the top 3 presumably will be gone.   We will have a new offensive coaching staff on a brand new timetable with a minimum 3 years to operate (probably more if they show any sign of improvement).  AR is going to blow people away in the underwear olympics and his coaches are going to give rave reviews about him as a leader etc.   Some team (IE us) with time to invest in him is going to gamble on the prospect.  I have said many times before I just dont know if I have the stomach for such a project given we havent won jack poo in so long.   However in the rare case that he hits we are in business.

I have watched him and I have said about 2 out of every 10 or so plays he makes a jaw dropping throw.  That at least shows there is something there to hang your hat on

I dont agree with it 100%, I will be on board if thats the case, all I am saying is I could easily see the above scenario playing out.

that is off course if we dont sell the farm to move up to #2. which I also have mixed feelings about

Like I said, I’m as desperate as they come for a QB, but no thank you. If we’re willing to spend a top 10 pick on a project QB like Richardson, you should go up and get Bryce Young. As much as we need a QB, I can’t think of a QB that’s gone in the top 10 that’s as much of a project as Richardson that has panned out. Hell, I MIGHT. MIGHT, use our 2nd, 2nd round pick on him, but I’m not confident about it. 

I don’t think teams are as desperate for a QB as they use to be either. Look at last year and the QBs. Going into the draft Willis was seen as a top 15 picks based on potential. He fell like crazy. Sure, Richardson is a hell of a lot more physically gifted, but Malik’s, actual production was through the roof in comparison. 

I think drafting AR would depend on if we hire the right coach.  Eagles OC, or Harbaugh would increase the odds of him developing.  Definitely pass on him if we keep Wilks.  The Eagles OC has Hurts throwing 68% with 20 TDs and 3 INTS from 52% 6 and 4 just 2 seasons ago.  Harbaugh of course had Colin K playing at a much better level.  

• Pie 1

Just now, SazmoRanger said:

Like I said, I’m as desperate as they come for a QB, but no thank you. If we’re willing to spend a top 10 pick on a project QB like Richardson, you should go up and get Bryce Young. As much as we need a QB, I can’t think of a QB that’s gone in the top 10 that’s as much of a project as Richardson that has panned out. Hell, I MIGHT. MIGHT, use our 2nd, 2nd round pick on him, but I’m not confident about it. 

I don’t think teams are as desperate for a QB as they use to be either. Look at last year and the QBs. Going into the draft Willis was seen as a top 15 picks based on potential. He fell like crazy. Sure, Richardson is a hell of a lot more physically gifted, but Malik’s, actual production was through the roof in comparison. 

Maliks offense was more elementary then even corrals.   Thats why he dropped.   But I get your point about projects and I am on your side, I am just laying out a scenario that I could easily see happening.   Once the top 3 are gone and nobody falls to us I honestly dont know another way on how to address the qb issue.  We are going to overdraft somebody and just hope it works out. 

• Pie 1

Just now, ForJimmy said:

I think drafting AR would depend on if we hire the right coach.  Eagles OC, or Harbaugh would increase the odds of him developing.  Definitely pass on him if we keep Wilks.  The Eagles OC has Hurts throwing 68% with 20 TDs and 3 INTS from 52% 6 and 4 just 2 seasons ago.  Harbaugh of course had Colin K playing at a much better level.  

There is no way in hell we can keep wilks and draft AR.   Its got to be Eagles guy, harbaugh or maybe dorsey.  It has to be an offensive mastermind

• Pie 2

I'm still on the Michael Mayer bandwagon if we are hovering around pick 10.  It's hard for me to justify a TE in the middle of the top 10, but the end of the top 10?  Yes, do it. 

Look, it's no secret that a rookie QBs security blanket is a TE.  Can you imagine Ian Thomas as our rookie's go-to guy?  😵  Mayer can be a Gronk type of guy.  TB12 is even stuggling this year since Gronk decided to stay retire (like Tom should  have).

Mayer is a borderline generational TE.  I get the glamorous positions QB, WR, ER, but when a guy is that good at his craft even at a lesser profile spot, you still have to take him.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Unless the Panthers go on a suicide quest to the playoffs and proceed to get blown out by the Cowboys and fall down to 19, they are picking top 10 and they will pick a QB. Anthony Richardson will be top 10, he'll blow people away at combine and pro days. Plus if the bears pick 2 they will try to trade out.

Panthers WILL draft a QB with their first pick next season.

And then you turn on the tape...

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, saX man said:

This isn't as loaded of a WR as in years past but Jordan Addison and Quinten Johnson are both awesome.  I'm quite satisfied we landed Horn in 21 and Icky to have a future LT, but I would be lying if I wasn't jealous of what Garrett Wilson and Justin Jefferson have been doing and did have a strong spider sense with both.  I just don't see how Addison doesn't come into the NFL and is a hit off the bat.

Not to mention a whole group of others in recent years that have been propelling teams into the playoffs and beyond.  Chase, Higgins, G Davis, Brown, Deebo, Smith, Jefferson, CeeDee, Metcalf, the list goes on.  The best teams have these arsenals of weapons and you just can't stop stocking up.  

I'm not going to be content with DJ & the potential of TMJ after this year.  We need to keep adding for a new QB.  But yes, of course the QB is the greater priority.

It's why in the likely case of us going QB first, would love to grab Zay Flowers/Hyatt/Hutchinson in the 2nd.  This class starts to drop off IMO after about WR 5ish.  

I've been thinking about this and I've gotten on and off the WR train several times this year.  I'd love a stud WR like Johnson, but the Panthers like to play conservative.  I think they want to ground and pound, meaning a game manager type QB and a strong ball-control running attack.  I think we'll be picking around 9-12, which is the perfect place to draft the TE Mayer.  Then grab another developmental QB in the second, maybe McKee. 

I think the QBs will fall. The only teams that will be looking at QB first round are Houston, Carolina, Indy, TB, and maybe Atlanta.  I think Houston will take Young.  Indy will give up everything to move up for Stroud.  Atlanta has Ridder and Mariota is still under contract next year.  Tampa Bay will probably sign a vet - not sure they are ready to rebuild.  Everyone else is probably ok with who they have.

I think Levis, Richardson, or McKee will be around if we want them late in the first/early in the second.  Risk reward is better there.

• Pie 1