• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bring Cam back for playoff run?

Dingo_ate_Babies

12 hours ago, CL1022 said:

If he would work in a Taysom Hill type of Swiss Army knife role, absolutely. As a QB, he’s done. But as an Athlete….he’s got a few good ones in him per week. 

Plus the intangible bonus that he would add some crowd energy for our one home playoff game. 

Not the worst idea the franchise would have ever had. It won’t happen and I’m not sure it should. But damn it would be cool to see. 

Plotting The Simpsons GIF

8 minutes ago, Green-Ghost said:

As a Panthers fan, I would love to see him come back. But, he is not the same Superman.  It would be very risky.  He would have to re orient to the current Panthers offense.  Darnold seems to be the best chance, right now.

We wouldn't have to re-orient the offense too much to accommodate him in a reserve role. If we use him in a similar role when we beat Arizona last year, he would be an asset. 10-15 situational and gadget plays and that's all he does.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Green-Ghost said:

As a Panthers fan, I would love to see him come back. But, he is not the same Superman.  It would be very risky.  He would have to re orient to the current Panthers offense.  Darnold seems to be the best chance, right now.

Darnold doesn't even do that much, the same thing Darnold does, Cam can do. 

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, Byrdman4real said:

Darnold doesn't even do that much, the same thing Darnold does, Cam can do. 

If that is the case, why would we make the change?  Having two guys on the roster that can't get the ball downfield (even if for very different reasons) when we finally need to is not a step up.

Not to mention that the one we already have has been taking the practice reps, has a rapport with the center, etc.  We are talking about bringing a guy in, just for the hellofit, who has not taken a snap all year, anywhere. 

I loved watching what Cam here did.  What happened to him was excruciating to watch.  But that does not mean we should try to bring him back (and my guess is he would not be interested) and upset whatever chemistry exists between Darnold, the OL, and his receivers just because it would be fun to watch him run in the red zone.  Especially when our rushing game does not look like it needs a whole lot of help right now.

IF we were going to bring somebody in, which is dubious at this point in the year, anyway, it needs to be somebody that can address a weakness, like the ability to get the ball to our receivers downfield, without getting the ball into the hands of DBs in the process of trying.

11 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

If that is the case, why would we make the change?  Having two guys on the roster that can't get the ball downfield (even if for very different reasons) when we finally need to is not a step up.

Not to mention that the one we already have has been taking the practice reps, has a rapport with the center, etc.  We are talking about bringing a guy in, just for the hellofit, who has not taken a snap all year, anywhere. 

I loved watching what Cam here did.  What happened to him was excruciating to watch.  But that does not mean we should try to bring him back (and my guess is he would not be interested) and upset whatever chemistry exists between Darnold, the OL, and his receivers just because it would be fun to watch him run in the red zone.  Especially when our rushing game does not look like it needs a whole lot of help right now.

IF we were going to bring somebody in, which is dubious at this point in the year, anyway, it needs to be somebody that can address a weakness, like the ability to get the ball to our receivers downfield, without getting the ball into the hands of DBs in the process of trying.

We ran a lot of RPO vs the Seahawks. While it worked, nobody is scared of Darnold tucking and running.

Edited by Dingo_ate_Babies

Just now, Dingo_ate_Babies said:

We can a lot of RPO vs the Seahawks. While it worked, nobody is scared of Darnold tucking and running.

If it worked, who cares if the opponent is afraid Darnold taking off with the ball.  Regardless of their level of fear, they still could not stop the run.  The goal is for it to work, not strike fear in the hearts of the opponent.  Our OL gets the credit for that.

Second, you are assuming anybody would be of Cam at this point.  The RPO works a lot better when there is a legitimate threat of the ball being thrown downfield.  Prior to 2018, that was Cam.  Since, not so much.

7 minutes ago, Dingo_ate_Babies said:

Check my join date bro. I've been die hard since 2003.

Well that makes it a bit more scary.  Cam cannot run nearly as strong as the big back we have now.

We have an oline and a bruising runner having success.  Bringing Cam back will take the wind out of their sails.  No way would I spoil the thing they have going