• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Mcadoo developing Darnold??

WOW!!

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

It’s step 1 2 3 4.   It’s literally the only thing that matters now   

until we get a franchise guy all of this “winning” is all for naught.

That's cap!

49ers, Texans, Chiefs before Mahomes, Rams before Stafford, hell even the recent Eagles if you look at it from a certain angle all show that the team supporting the QB is just as important to winning. Hell we're learning that Russ was more a product of that run game and the LOB rather than being "the guy", his trick was he just was really good at improv, which fit the rest of that teams strengths. You're gonna tell me that winning didn't matter for those teams, especially since that winning laid the ground work for franchises like the 9ers and Chiefs. Likely the Titans too.

Guys like Herbert show that even if you get your guy, it doesn't solve everything. And guys like Watson and Wilson show us that sometimes your situation makes your guy. Kirk and J.J. teach us that sometimes all a QB needs is that guy.

What I've learned this season is that Winning is winning, and you have to build on that. That's how you carve an identity. Yes, passer is still a question mark, but we're not in a situation where we can likely get that franchise guy right now, but we're winning. Instead of trying to hard pivot to the extremely difficult task of finding that franchise, plug n play QB (note: this does not mean skip out on a QB in the first round if we like one) to get an elite passing game, we build on the strengths of our team. That way it's easier for a LOT of qbs to look better. 

Edited by Rags
  • Pie 2

Are you comfortable rolling with bc and darnold into next season?   That’s a yes or no question 

At this point yes.. essentially as a bridge so your not throwing Richardson, Levi or Corral on the field day 1 because I don’t believe anybody after Young or Stroud are day 1 ready.. And at this point if you’re keeping Wilkes I don’t see us getting anybody to develop QB’s better then Mcadoo..

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

It's not how anyone who wants to compete for Super Bowls would do it. That's what I want to do.

Ravens, 49ers, Titans are all both playoff teams and super bowl contending teams. Rams got to their first super bowl on the arthritten knees of Todd Gurley, and have a much better shot of wining it if his hereditary, degenerative condition doesn't take him out. Seahawks won 1 and made it to another off the back of a strong D and run game. We made it to the playoffs several times and a Super Bowl with a heavy focus on the run game. Vikings made it to numerous playoffs and took the corpse of Farve to the NFCCG off of the same formula. 

Sooooo

• Pie 1

Great post

how about this.   Say he balls the fug out the rest of the way.   Is anyone going to be comfortable rolling into next year with a new deal for darnold, mcadoo as the oc and wilks as the hc?   fug that we need to be thinking long term here.   

I would be. Would be sitting in the best spot from a preseason perspective in a long time and can add even more talent to the offense via the draft.

7 minutes ago, Rags said:

Ravens, 49ers, Titans are all both playoff teams and super bowl contending teams. Rams got to their first super bowl on the arthritten knees of Todd Gurley, and have a much better shot of wining it if his hereditary, degenerative condition doesn't take him out. Seahawks won 1 and made it to another off the back of a strong D and run game. We made it to the playoffs several times and a Super Bowl with a heavy focus on the run game. Vikings made it to numerous playoffs and took the corpse of Farve to the NFCCG off of the same formula. 

Sooooo

If you want to delude yourself into thinking we can compete for Super Bowls with Sam Darnold and an offensive game plan of throwing just enough to keep the D honest, then go for it. But it's delusional.

15 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If you want to delude yourself into thinking we can compete for Super Bowls with Sam Darnold and an offensive game plan of throwing just enough to keep the D honest, then go for it. But it's delusional.

I'm not gonna lie and say I don't see some optimism for Sam's future development based on what he's shown me this stint. But it'd be foolish to bank solely on this. Two birds, one stone would be great. But I'm not gonna act like 1. That's feasible 2. His ceiling is super high. 

However at this point I also realize unless we add in some elite and solid offensive talent in general, this offense is gonna be stagnant, and any QB prospect at this point has as much boom or bust as Sam did coming out.

Yes, a Mahomes tier talent would take us from Playoff contender to playoff Dark Horse, but you can argue an Derrick Henry or Justin Jefferson tier talent would do the same. It's faaaaaaaar harder to find a Mahomes tier talent.  

I will say I do like the potential of Levis and Richardson (the latter especially in our offense) but to act like they don't carry significant bust risk is delusional, and Wilsion shows us what having stagnant, bust QB does to a locker room. 

Edited by Rags

3 minutes ago, Rags said:

I'm not gonna lie and say I don't see some optimism for Sam's future development based on what he's shown me this stint. But it'd be foolish to bank solely on this. Two birds, one stone would be great. But I'm not gonna act like 1. That's feasible 2. His ceiling is super high. 

However at this point I also realize unless we luck up into some elite offensive talent in general, this offense is gonna be stagnant, and any QB prospect at this point has as much boom or bust as Sam did coming out.

Yes, a Mahomes tier talent would take us from Playoff contender to playoff Dark Horse, but you can argue an Derrick Henry or Justin Jefferson tier talent would do the same. It's faaaaaaaar harder to find a Mahomes tier talent.  

I will say I do like the potential of Levis and Richardson (the latter especially in our offense) but to act like they don't carry significant bust risk is delusional, and Wilsion shows us what having stagnant, bust QB does to a locker room. 

I'd be all for drafting Anthony Richardson and retaining Darnold as a bridge QB to ensure we're not forced to try to play Richardson before he's ready.

• Pie 2

19 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'd be all for drafting Anthony Richardson and retaining Darnold as a bridge QB to ensure we're not forced to try to play Richardson before he's ready.

I like Richardson a ton, he's kinda who I'm leaning towards because honestly I think he might end up a R1 (mid-late realistically but if DJ can go top 10...) and if he does, you gotta play him sooner rather than later, and I can envision a future where he hits in this offense we have right now. 

However like I said, to act like his or Levis' floor arent insanely low is wild. They're both lower than Sam's based on the fact they have no NFL experience, let alone success, and already have bigger question marks than Sam did coming out.  Even if even if my most optimistic ceiling for him is "Better Ryan Tannehill", it's still something you can win with, you just have to improve your offense around him, because you're not always gonna be playing the Broncos, Seahawks and Lions.

Edited by Rags

19 hours ago, WOW!! said:

Geno Smith??

With the 5th year option there are 2 or 3 quarterbacks that will be in the draft that are at Sams age or approaching it. Then if they “sit and learn” they will be as old or older than Sam before they take their first snap. Something to think about. I hope Corral has been taking notes this year. 

• Pie 1