• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Harbaugh to Carolina Makes Too Much Sense...

chknwing

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I think something we all need to immediately throw out the window is what he did in college. That applies to his previous and current college head coaching gigs. College football so vastly different that you may as well consider it Major League Soccer. It genuinely has absolutely nothing to do with NFL success(or lack thereof).

Hell, I look at him in a better light because of college. His postseason record isn’t great but at least he’s built Michigan into a defensive powerhouse (excluding the TCU game). I still have a lot of concerns about his offensive coaching philosophy though. When the 49ers were going through a lot of their issues, Rapoport reported that a lot of the dysfunction had to do with an offense that was led by an offensive coach, had 10 coaches dedicated to the offensive side of the ball, yet was 19th in scoring.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

14 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Coaching contracts aren't in the billions, they're in the millions, and relatively low millions at that. Any NFL owner can pay Harbaugh big money. It's not a matter of money, it's a matter of will. It's a matter of other things like control, power and length of contract. The owners will be thinking about perception and value as well. They don't want to look like fools by overpaying. They'll only go so far. Tepper has already proven that he's willing to go outside the norms to get his guy. 

Yeah and he was reportedly skewered by other owners for the Rhule contract. Also reportedly embarrassed he made the decision.

IF that is true, he might be a little gun shy this time.

We will see. Harbaugh is a very intriguing option. The whale in the head coaching market, really.

Edited by kungfoodude

The most proven head coach candidate out there.

I tell you this, if we had Harbaugh with Cam and Luke, we would have won multiple superbowls. And he damn sure wouldn't have benched Cam for some stupid ass tie.

If it came down to money and situation, we are BY FAR the leaders amongst other teams. Easy ass division (could be frontrunners for many years), a lot of draft picks and decent draft position, decent players to build around, etc. It's all in Tepper's court. It's already being said Harbaugh to the NFL is a "done deal" if a team offers up a contract. But who are we kidding? Tepper will find a way to screw this up just like he has everything else. He'll probably hire Dan Quinn or some sh*t lol

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Coaching contracts aren't in the billions, they're in the millions, and relatively low millions at that. Any NFL owner can pay Harbaugh big money. It's not a matter of money, it's a matter of will. It's a matter of other things like control, power and length of contract. The owners will be thinking about perception and value as well. They don't want to look like fools by overpaying. They'll only go so far. Tepper has already proven that he's willing to go outside the norms to get his guy. 

Yes and Tepper got burned with a large contract last time too.  The things I've been hearing/reading about Denver is they are going to VERY aggressive and will get their guy.  Money is no object.  So it's a matter of how big will Tepper go in order to not get outbid.  Again, if Harbaugh is their guy, Tepper is going to have to counter offer...probably more than once.  While other factors are baked into the deal, amount, incentives and duration all come into play. Personnel matters, while important, are secondary to the money aspect.

54 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

He may want full control and as Tepper is ‘once burned’ , that may be a deal breaker 

I don’t know how I feel about him   I know it doesn’t matter how I feel but it is cautious   

also, the nfl has changed since his time in it

saying he is ‘odd’ is an understatement and that oddness or quirkiness, as I understand it, grated on players and staff alike in San Fran   

oh well 

I am against full control but it worked out for the Niners so maybe it will work out for us. I am more comfortable giving a guy like Harbaugh control than Rhule. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

At the end of the day, whatever happens, happens. I’ll support the next head coach until they give me a reason not to; I can’t imagine anyone could cause me to lose faith as quickly as Matt Rhule did, but I’ve been wrong many times before…

I mean....if we set a floor lower than Rhule with our next hire.....buckle up, it's gonna be a long, long next decade or two.

He would undoubtedly wear out his welcome in 5-6 years. But DAMN would those be a fun 5-6 years.

That said I feel like we just saw this same song and dance last year where it was a "Will he? Wont he?" with the Vikings if I recall correctly. I would not be surprised at all if this is once again Harbaugh and his agent working on getting him another pay raise. 

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I mean....if we set a floor lower than Rhule with our next hire.....buckle up, it's gonna be a long, long next decade or two.

It's gonna be a long next decade or two, regardless. Tepper can't hire good people because he has no ability to identify talent, so anyone hoping for a Super Bowl or even a division title can forget it. 2022 was the closest we'll come to that for another 15-20 years.

1 minute ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

He would undoubtedly wear out his welcome in 5-6 years. But DAMN would those be a fun 5-6 years.

That said I feel like we just saw this same song and dance last year where it was a "Will he? Wont he?" with the Vikings if I recall correctly. I would not be surprised at all if this is once again Harbaugh and his agent working on getting him another pay raise. 

Jim "Kenny Atkinson" Harbaugh type vibe

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

It's gonna be a long next decade or two, regardless. Tepper can't hire good people because he has no ability to identify talent, so anyone hoping for a Super Bowl or even a division title can forget it. 2022 was the closest we'll come to that for another 15-20 years.

I haven't reached that point yet. I am seeing how this next coaching hire works out.

3 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

The floor has to be Rhule, I just refuse to believe there is someone worse out there. If there is, they need to look for another career path.

I want that to be the case but I know it can get worse. There is more than one example of that in NFL history. 

We just have to hope Tepper is capable of understanding his weaknesses and correcting them. If not....we are fuged until he sells us or passes away. Neither of those being something that is likely to happen quickly.