• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"We should have traded Burns" - a rebuttal

Ricky Spanish

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Well, until we get back to winning more than 5-7 games a year, there’s not much to talk about except how do we improve the team. 

That's why my biggest concern is what they do with QB. While you guys are still mad about this I'm hoping nobody who makes decisions for this team shares even a slight agreement with some of the loonies here that think Sam Darnold is serviceable now. I want the whole QB room replaced and this team needs to get back to the days of emphasizing the TE position more.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, frankw said:

That's why my biggest concern is what they do with QB. While you guys are still mad about this I'm hoping nobody who makes decisions for this team shares even a slight agreement with some of the loonies here that think Sam Darnold is serviceable now. I want the whole QB room replaced and this team needs to get back to the days of emphasizing the TE position more.

Those picks potentially could have helped us to move up for a franchise guy if needed and still not deplete our draft capital.  See how that works?

And I agree 100% about darnold.  Let him be some other teams headache, ive seen enough of him

Edited by mrcompletely11
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, frankw said:

One 1st and 3 2nds should have ended up with a QB and a DE at the minimum in that situation. Hell that's without touching the future first. Add in cap savings and throw in a FA QB and Dlineman. CmC was a good trade, I hate his dead cap next season more than anything.

I want to see a drafted QB and a vet who is cheap warm body with very low expectations. No big trades and no large FA QB contracts would be a solid try for me. I agree about the TEs being valued more, I'm not happy with that room either.

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, Toomers said:

Let’s look at those trades. 

The 49ers had pick 48 in the 2nd in 2021. Yet MIA took a future 1st(2) instead of taking the 2nd that year. Why would they do that if picks lose value?

The Bears had pick 39 in the 2nd in 2021. Yet the NYG took a future 1st instead. Why? 

Please continue. 

You posted a PFF list that has him 10th(for this season and weeks ago)but doesn’t include Watt, J Bosa or Sweat as they clearly state. Then when some of their evaluation showed his weakness, you went after their credibility. 

The only thing you have proven is if it doesn’t fit the narrative, spin it until it does. 

Same reason that it usually happens, the 49ers and bears didn't want to give up a 2nd in that draft. Most teams don't want to trade away a ton of picks in one draft, so they spread it out. 

I went after the credibility of pff first before posting that. Lmfao

I brought up the Panthers superbowl oline as an example as well. To continue that example, Mike Remmers for had a 66 grade and had 11 penalties and gave up 6 sacks.

That oline was pretty bad in pass coverage 

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

exactly I think if all teams held this philosophy then you would see it work in reverse more.  Clearly you dont so that just shows all situations are different.  Why wouldnt teams in a win now mode go all in with draft picks?  Teams rebuilding like the panthers should have a plan 2/3 years out.  Fitt continually thinking this is a win now franchise is fuging stupid.  It was short sighted and a pure selfish move not to do it.

He's doing what Tepper wants, Tepper wants to win now. 

It's why they were in on Stafford and in on Watson. 

For an NFL GM, you've got to balance what your owner wants with the future. 

If a trade has two or more teams involved, it does work in reverse. 

Win now has to be balanced somewhat with your teams future.

The Rams essentially went all in last season, the 49ers have done so this season. 

4 hours ago, Toomers said:

You were pretty sure there wasn’t even a 2nd round pick offered too. And with 25M/yr and 3 premium picks, if you can’t replace him the wrong people are making decisions. 

The 2nd round pick I wasn't aware of was the only pick for 2023 Draft. That did very little in replacing Burns.

4 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Those picks potentially could have helped us to move up for a franchise guy if needed and still not deplete our draft capital.  See how that works?

And I agree 100% about darnold.  Let him be some other teams headache, ive seen enough of him

4 hours ago, Waldo said:

One 1st and 3 2nds should have ended up with a QB and a DE at the minimum in that situation. Hell that's without touching the future first. Add in cap savings and throw in a FA QB and Dlineman. CmC was a good trade, I hate his dead cap next season more than anything.

I want to see a drafted QB and a vet who is cheap warm body with very low expectations. No big trades and no large FA QB contracts would be a solid try for me. I agree about the TEs being valued more, I'm not happy with that room either.

I hear ya'll. But if we hadn't once again won those games that ultimately didn't matter we wouldn't need to try and trade up anyway. We ended up getting slapped down by 45 year old Brady in probably the worst division in the league when we could have had a top 3 pick minimum. Same old Panthers.

8 minutes ago, frankw said:

I hear ya'll. But if we hadn't once again won those games that ultimately didn't matter we wouldn't need to try and trade up anyway. We ended up getting slapped down by 45 year old Brady in probably the worst division in the league when we could have had a top 3 pick minimum. Same old Panthers.

The AFC S (?) says hello lol.

Anyways, I don't want to trade up for a QB. I'm fine where we are and I'm not in love with the top 2 guys, not yet at least. I am so not bothered by the record or pick placement at this time. My favorite NFL QBs were not picked before pick 5, that is usually where overrated school QBs and media darlings go. Get a great offensive coach and then let's talk about which QBs he likes. 

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, Waldo said:

The AFC S (?) says hello lol.

Anyways, I don't want to trade up for a QB. I'm fine where we are and I'm not in love with the top 2 guys, not yet at least. I am so not bothered by the record or pick placement at this time. My favorite NFL QBs were not picked before pick 5, that is usually where overrated school QBs and media darlings go. Get a great offensive coach and then let's talk about which QBs he likes. 

Okay the AFCS is neck and neck lol. I'm kinda iffy on the OC turned head coach now after other failures but I still think we need to turn over every stone looking in that direction. I honestly lean going with a candidate with head coaching experience built in and I would not doubt if that's the route Tepper goes this time after being burned so badly with a college hire. We'll see. At this point I'll take take any QB's not named Darnold or Walker. Just begin anew.

Edited by frankw
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, frankw said:

Okay the AFCS is neck and neck lol. I'm kinda iffy on the OC turned head coach now after other failures but I still think we need to turn over every stone looking in that direction. I honestly lean going with a candidate with head coaching experience built in and I would not doubt if that's the route Tepper goes this time after being burned so badly with a college hire. We'll see. At this point I'll take take any QB's not named Darnold or Walker. Just begin anew.

None of the defensive guys impress or excite me. The more I looked at JH the less I liked. It's time to take a shot on an offensive guy.

I do want to switch it up and get a completely new QB room too, other than Corral. It's just too much old baggage and none are good enough to keep unless they are the cheapest option. 

Let me clearify: I think Lawrence, Burrow and Cam were top 5 guys over the last 10 years that were worth it. Wentz and Luck were good until injury prone. I just don't see it this year unless BY comes in a lot taller and heavier than he looks, he has the rest of the package but he looks alarmingly tiny.

Just change up the cheap vets and pick a rookie to pair with the new coach. If it doesn't look good then do it again next year. 

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Unreal, McVay may be leaving the Rams. 🤦‍♂️ We missed a prime opportunity to take advantage in the Burns trade and we would have taken 2 more prime picks away from them helping out 2025 pick. If McVay does leave and Donald (he mentioned this last year) decides to go out after Whitworth, we missed a whale of an opportunity.

You’re banking on things that haven’t happened.

22 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Unreal, McVay may be leaving the Rams. 🤦‍♂️ We missed a prime opportunity to take advantage in the Burns trade and we would have taken 2 more prime picks away from them helping out 2025 pick. If McVay does leave and Donald (he mentioned this last year) decides to go out after Whitworth, we missed a whale of an opportunity.

bro these kids will say that keeping burns was the right thing to do even after LA goes 3-14 and Burns gets blown up in run coverage for the millionth time

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

bro these kids will say that keeping burns was the right thing to do even after LA goes 3-14 and Burns gets blown up in run coverage for the millionth time

And Atlanta and Seattle were supposed to be fighting for pick 1 going into this year. Looking 1 year down the road is one thing…give me a break at two years.

• Pie 1