• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

Ian Rapoport stated the following on Wednesday:

“It’s not just: ‘Is Sean Payton going to take a job?’ It’s also: ‘Is a team gonna pay him?’ and ‘Is a team gonna meet the asking price of the New Orleans Saints?’ Now, of course, if the Panthers try to hire Sean Payton, I would expect their price to be a lot higher than some of the other teams mainly because it would be in the division. All of the teams that’ve received permission to speak with him seem to be onboard with at least a first-round pick and more being the price.”

On Thursday, NFL Network insider Tom Pelissero joined The Rich Eisen Show and talked about the “Push for Payton.” 

“I don’t know that to be the case regarding the Panthers,” he said. “I believe David Tepper is someone who is going to be very skeptical about having to give up multiple high draft picks to get a coach on top of paying him top dollar and all the other things Sean Payton is going to want.”

1 hour ago, The Lobo said:

What interviewing rule issues would all this create? 

49 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I wonder what "Rules" and if the nfl could waive them giving the circumstances especially after the Hamlin episode

It's related to the dates that you can speak to coaches currently in the playoffs:

Basically, if the Giants, Cowboys, and Bills advance this weekend, we will not be able to conduct an interview with Kafka, Moore, and Dorsey until after the conference championship games. And if 2 of those 3 teams make it to the Super Bowl (e.g. Cowboys/Bills), we wouldn't be able to interview them until after the SB because you can only conduct second interviews (not initial) with candidates who previously interviewed during the week between the conf champ games and the SB.

So I guess root for the Eagles, 49ers, and Bengals if you want one of Kafka/Moore/Dorsey to be the HC, because I don't see Tepper waiting past 2/12 to hire a HC unless it's Steichen

Edited by UNCrules2187
  • Pie 2

Well, usually a coach saves their last interview for the team they really want to coach.

Harbaugh is the superior choice because just like Payton you get a coach who has played QB in the NFL from the Mike Ditka school (toughness above all) and a stellar resume and win percentage. Only difference between the two is demeanor. Opposite personalities from what I can see but the same results.

That being said, being that Sean Payton is reported to have accepted the rescheduling of the Panthers meeting having left and then having slept on the Denver meeting/deal could prove to be in the Panthers favor if you're OK with Payton.

I still think going all out on trying to hire Harbaugh like they should have when his people called would be cheaper as in no picks and any buyout if any would be much more friendly.

Harbaugh wasn't feeling the love and pulled his name out. Tickling his ear before the next couple meetings wouldn't hurt either. He may still want the job and if HE does we don't get raped by the Saints and we get an equal or better coach who can also take over the ship immediately.

• Beer 1