• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper clearly wants to change the Panthers identity

Saca312

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

Because the 3-13 was years ago and the 6-6 shows where he is today. Better indication of his current ability.  And I guess not having a secondary impacted why our defense got worse.  Truth is you have to nitpick to find fault when he did a great job under the circumstances.

He did a fine job but I don't necessarily just want a HC that does a fine job.  I think Wilks can make an argument for his hire but I'm tired of mediocrity. In one of the worst divisions in football in a long time he had a shot at the division. He didn't make it. That means a lot IMO.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not honestly sure what kind of coach I'd classify Rhule as.

(other than a sh-tty one)

Rhule was never an offensive guru of any sort. He had like 7 years of college coaching experience and he was top 50% defense like all but one year. He also had a top 25 defense like 3 or 4 times in those 7 years. 

He had a top 50 college offense once…

Look at his tenure here. Never a top half of the league offense ( closest was when we fired Joe Brady and then got worse lol ) but we’ve had top half of the nfl defense a couple of his years here. 

Just now, mav1234 said:

He did a fine job but I don't necessarily just want a HC that does a fine job.  I think Wilks can make an argument for his hire but I'm tired of mediocrity. In one of the worst divisions in football in a long time he had a shot at the division. He didn't make it. That means a lot IMO.

Just because something is new doesn't mean it will be better in facts the odds say it will be worse. But everyone wants to go with what might be looking at the positives without considering the negatives. Which I find interesting after the last several years of Rhule who was everyone's hot prospect a few years ago. How many more negatives do you want.......

Love that the direction seems to be hiring an OC at HC who has been successful in current NFL spot. It's all I could ask for if we were to move off of Wilks. I won't be mad at the hire if they fit that criteria because it'll be the first Panthers HC to ever have those kind of credentials and I feel like hiring coaches is such a crapshoot. Hopefully they can build out a good staff. 

Tepper got conned by Rhule, no question about it. I think he's admitting to that by looking for guys that, even if they are young, have real NFL experience. Putting aside Wilks, Caldwell, and Reich, each of these guys have monumentally more NFL experience than Rhule did. Counting both player and coach experience:

Steichen: 12 years (all coaching)

Johnson: 11 years (all coaching)

Dorsey: 15 years (6 as a player, 9 as a coach)

Kafka: 11 years (5 as a player, 6 as a coach)

Rhule, prior to being named HC, had exactly 1 year of NFL experience. All 4 of the young OC candidates have spent the past decade-plus in a professional environment around professional players and professional coaches.

Edited by UNCrules2187

Just now, UNCrules2187 said:

Tepper got conned by Rhule, no question about it. I think he's admitting to that by looking for guys that, even if they are young, have real NFL experience. Putting aside Wilks, Caldwell, and Reich, each of these guys have monumentally more NFL experience than Rhule did. Counting both player and coach experience:

Steichen: 12 years (all coaching)

Johnson: 11 years (all coaching)

Dorsey: 15 years (6 as a player, 9 as a coach)

Kafka: 11 years (5 as a player, 6 as a coach)

Rhule, prior to being named HC, has exactly 1 year of NFL experience. All 4 of the young OC candidates have spent the past decade-plus in a professional environment around professional coaches.

kafka seems to have made chicken salad out of chicken poo this year, outside of barkley the giants dont have any offensive weapons.  How much is that daboll or kafka.  I would at least bring him in to talk.

• Pie 1

For folks that wanted Wilks to stay:

This is the worst our division has been in a long time and we still couldn’t win it. He had the opportunity to by beating Tampa and he said… who is the best offensive pass catcher on the Bucs? Let’s single cover him over and over. And we lost. We got outcoached. 

Then, look at who we beat:

Tampa when they were 3-3.

Atlanta when they were 4-5.

Denver when they were 3-7.

Lions when they were 7-7.

New Orleans when they were 7-9. 

Cmon.

We played one quality opponent and they had us beat 35-0 at halftime. In this final week of the season Darnold threw for like 50 yards. 

Edited by Varking
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1