• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2022 thoughts and 2023 opinions...

musicman

I will start by saying I am a huge GM Scott Fitterer fan. Down to earth and common sense smart guy. I like the chances he took. Some worked, some didn't. I believe the formula of building the trenches, added some speed last year and now going for playmakers this coming year is solid planning. I've talked with him, he's about value and fitting it all in the cap. You can't go all in if you're not ready to go for the SB (like the Eagles getting AJ Brown, etc). Fans wanna sign this guy or that guy but it's gotta time out and play out right. Look at Buffalo going all in with Von Miller and he's out. Rams got lucky last year but they're out of this for years. Injuries and a helluva lot of distractions held this team back from at least making the playoffs this past year, even if they wouldn't have gone far. IMO, they didn't take the Burns deal because the 1st round picks were 2024 and 2025, not 2023. The defense didn't go backwards. Changes and injuries kept them from progressing forward.

In 2023 I see them possibly trading up to #3 for a QB (Cards) as the Bears don't need one and the Texans will take one. After that pick #4 on need a QB so if one of the top 2 are still there, I can see them taking a chance at 3. Otherwise wait to see who's at 9 or even trade back slightly to like 12 or 13 and get someone. But build a solid team of playmakers. Even Sam played better with a solid O-line. Give Matt a chance and either draft someone or sign a good QB like Daniel Jones if he wants to come back to NC and needed a change of scenery. Not saying he's the answer, but like that. I wouldn't go all in for drafting a QB and then don't have the pieces around him to make the team or that young QB successful. They are going to keep taking chances and develop QBs until they hit which is the only thing you can do. And Yes, the HC and staff will play a major part in all that. But I trust Scott and Dan Morgan (if he doesn't get picked up) to build a winner next year (meaning at least a winning season that makes the playoffs. 

Again I think 2022 showed some good things and what they need to fix. I am optimistic about 2023 as there is no definitive front runner. Positive or negative whats your thoughts on the season and future?

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I talking about the trades

Only including trades doesn’t account for all moves Fitt made last off-season.

Here is the link to all Panthers trades made in 2022: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/2022/carolina-panthers/trade/

Order of trades by success in my opinion:

Shenault —> Daley —> CMC —> Baker —> Robbie

Shenault - he may be our most explosive playmaker with the ball in his hands. We have to find ways to get him the ball on sweeps or out of the backfield next year  

Daley - Was likely going to be cut. Getting anything at that point is a success. Getting a 5th was good work.

CMC - I view this as a win/win trade. Was hoping it would lead to a worse record this season with him gone, but turns out our offense functioned better without him. It was a shame our coaches weren’t capable of scheming him appropriately. Still, a good haul for a big contract RB with injury questions.

Baker - It didn’t work out on the field, but I’m not mad about that trade at all. It was worth what we gave up (5th rounder) and paid (5mil) to take the shot.

Robbie - Not mad about the trade. The extension before that is what makes it terrible  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

What makes Scott “common sense smart”?

Common sense would have been to not pick up Sam’s 5th year option and let him play out the year. If they absolutely needed to they could’ve tagged him which would’ve costed more but a lot less risky of a gamble 

Edited by *FreeFua*

23 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Only including trades doesn’t account for all moves Fitt made last off-season.

Here is the link to all Panthers trades made in 2022: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/2022/carolina-panthers/trade/

Order of trades by success in my opinion:

Shenault —> Daley —> CMC —> Baker —> Robbie

Shenault - he may be our most explosive playmaker with the ball in his hands. We have to find ways to get him the ball on sweeps or out of the backfield next year  

Daley - Was likely going to be cut. Getting anything at that point is a success. Getting a 5th was good work.

CMC - I view this as a win/win trade. Was hoping it would lead to a worse record this season with him gone, but turns out our offense functioned better without him. It was a shame our coaches weren’t capable of scheming him appropriately. Still, a good haul for a big contract RB with injury questions.

Baker - It didn’t work out on the field, but I’m not mad about that trade at all. It was worth what we gave up (5th rounder) and paid (5mil) to take the shot.

Robbie - Not mad about the trade. The extension before that is what makes it terrible  

Trading for baker was dumb.  Trading for cj was dumb as hell.  Trading for darnold was borderline retarded.  Picking up Sam’s option was dumb.  Jury is still out on shenault.  Dude didn’t do poo last year.  Fitt had made plenty of bad moves let’s be honest here.  

11 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Trading for baker was dumb.  Trading for cj was dumb as hell.  Trading for darnold was borderline retarded.  Picking up Sam’s option was dumb.  Jury is still out on shenault.  Dude didn’t do poo last year.  Fitt had made plenty of bad moves let’s be honest here.  

Hindsight. 

The only one I thought was dumb at the time was Darnold’s option. CJ is our #3 CB. Shenault is, or should be, our #3 WR. Those aren’t bad returns for what we gave up and on their rookie deals. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

13 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Hindsight. 

The only one I thought was dumb at the time was Darnold’s option. CJ is our #3 CB. Shenault is, or should be, our #3 WR. Those aren’t bad returns for what we gave up and on their rookie deals. 

I loved the Henderson trade I’d gamble on an athletic profile like his with a 3rd all day. 

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, ECHornet said:

You dislike all of our free agent signings from last offseason?

He just basically trolls this forum complaining and bashing the Panthers because he thinks it makes him look clever.  It doesn’t.  I just ignore him 

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

CJ was Rhule

CJ was on our short list draft night. When he became available Rhule wanted him