• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL coaching news

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Sgt Schultz said:

8 x 10 glossies, maybe?

I have said several times Tepper may see Wilks as a "safe pick" after looking like a buffoon with The Process.  At least Wilks can claim that title.  Saturday looked like 6-foot of man standing in 15-feet of water. 

Maybe he will "grow into" the position, but from here that looks like thinking your 6-year-old will someday grow into being a renown brain surgeon.  It may happen, but how anybody could pin their hopes on it unfolding is a mystery.

Meanwhile, Bieniemy may be the 6-year-old's 15-year-old brother in that scenario.  He's either going to surprise everybody and become the renown brain surgeon or get a D in high school biology and become a plumber. 

The Bieniemy scenario is so profoundly strange. The fact that he hasn't been hired is a red flag alone. He must really not interview well at all.

• Beer 2

49 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The Bieniemy scenario is so profoundly strange. The fact that he hasn't been hired is a red flag alone. He must really not interview well at all.

All I can think of is the Colts are in search of a coach who is the worst interview in the NFL.  They must have a theory that people who suck at interviews do so because they are on such a higher plane than everybody else when it comes to strategic thinking.

I might want to be careful about posting something like that on an open forum.  Next thing you know the Panthers will have somebody assembling the analytics to support that and scheduling interviews accordingly.  I'm always careful at work about things like that, because the dumber the scenario the more they like it and I am not convinced the Panthers are any different in that respect.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Pretty much, though granted the full story isn't necessarily told yet.

Last year, Jim Harbaugh walked into the Vikings meeting room like he owned the place. Then after they said "no thank you" he embarrassingly tried to save face by acting like he never really wanted the job.

This year, everyone believed other coaching prospects would have to wait until Payton picked his spot before anyone else could be hired. He apparently believed he could hand pick his own GM too.

Now they both look like cautionary tales..

• Beer 1

Wow on Payton. If he doesn't get a job this round, he may as well give up on the NFL. Saints have his rights until January 2025! No team will give up picks for him.

If he wants to coach again, I think he should just go to college. There's so much money at P5 schools that he'd easily get close to his NFL asking price with all the power and without the drama. And there's no draft picks for the Saints to ransom.

If Jimbo is done at A&M next year, I fully expect Payton's name to come up there. He could easily also go to Austin or Norman as they head to the SEC. All of them can easily pay him.

Edited by BrisbanePanther
Added words

Can't see him in college, but I could be wrong.  Someone in the future may give him that total control thing and the money but he may have to be less picky about the ownership.  Maybe Washington next year.  They might be cleaning house.  I hear Bezos is interested in buying that team.  He won't miss the money and might like to make a splash.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

44 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

More...

Granted this could change, but if it doesn't, ouch 😕

Makes me think that it will really take a Raiders/Gruden scenario for him to be able to return. Maybe the Cowboys in the future?

I think a lot of these owners are wise to giving over complete control to a head coach.