• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This is starting to get nasty with coach wilks.

ncguy2184

11 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Bottom line is Wilks performed better with less then Reich last year. Just a fact. 

You don't just look at last year. You look at the full resume.

This isn’t a bashing Wilks. He did a tremendous job, and deserves a HC.

But if you put the two resumes side by side and took off the names, you're picking the Reich resume every time.

• Pie 2

Just now, trueblade said:

Not saying that at all.

I'm saying if another team thought he was one of the best options, they would have interviewed regardless of if they thought he might get the Carolina job.

I'm confused as to what the point of this argument is. 

Who other teams interview is who we should interview? 

Are good coaches only good coaches if they do multiple interviews? 

You really think that an impending lawsuit has nothing to do with it?

4 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Yes you could argue that hiring a guy that got fired halfway through the season, while having horrible offensive output last year was not the best decision versus a guy in house who had the team performing way over expectation with community support.

The Panthers did not expect to trade CMC and get better.  That was a tank attempt.  Make no mistake a 6-6 record, if you can even really count the first game against Wilks with him taking over mid week, is  miracle work.

You listed the the things that were against Wilks, but what about the head winds going against Reich in Indy? He had an owner that failed to give him what he needed and was forced to change QB’s at the whim of a crazy owner. 

2 hours ago, The_Apostle610 said:

I think Tepper made him interim HC to prove to the league that he'd be a viable option for other coaching jobs. It gave him the opportunity to audition and show other owners who may be looking for a defensive minded head coach, or leader of men. 

At the end of the day, Wilks did not get us to playoffs playing in the worst division in the league. Had we been in any other other division, this wouldn't have been a topic of conversation. Yes he went 6-6 but only 3 of those games were against winning teams and those teams weren't anything special.

Even as a minority, I want the best man for the job, I don't care if he black, white, blue or purple. Not attacking his character, but his inability to adjust to Mike Evans and playing conservative cost him this opportunity. Hopefully he learns from it and gets another opportunity to prove it. 

Allowing a man to audition for another teams HC spot is a terrible idea too. That is a direct conflict of interest when it comes to the draft. I’ve said it before, Wilkes destroyed our tank for his own gain 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, trueblade said:

You don't just look at last year. You look at the full resume.

This isn’t a bashing Wilks. He did a tremendous job, and deserves a HC.

But if you put the two resumes side by side and took off the names, you're picking the Reich resume every time.

Well if this is the philosophy we want to use with Reich why don't we apply to Wilks as well.  He's a bad coach because he had a bad year at AZ when everyone knows he got screwed there.  Yet it couldn't be an outlier like last year is being painted for Reich?

While Wilks was the interim we would have all the conversation in concordance about how he got screwed in AZ, and now that Reich is selected people are using this same info to poo on Wilks.  It's not right.  Its a double standard and it's old.

41 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

You could make an argument that he didn't get offers because teams assumed he was going to be the Panthers coach, he isn't the only qualified coach that doesn't get "interviews" or legit consideration.

It's okay to admit the NFL has had some racial discrepancies when it comes to coaches, ownership, and qbs.

It's also okay to like the hiring of Frank Reich.

It's also okay to realize that the team greatly mismanaged the situation and didn't do itself any favors by not perpetuating that notion.

Lol

3 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I'm confused as to what the point of this argument is. 

Who other teams interview is who we should interview? 

Are good coaches only good coaches if they do multiple interviews? 

You really think that an impending lawsuit has nothing to do with it?

You said "could make an argument that he didn't get offers because teams assumed he was going to be the Panthers coach"

And I'm saying that's not how NFL teams think or work. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Tarheel119 said:

You listed the the things that were against Wilks, but what about the head winds going against Reich in Indy? He had an owner that failed to give him what he needed and was forced to change QB’s at the whim of a crazy owner. 

I agree with that about Reich. I like Frank Reich.  I even watched his Northview sermon last night.  This isn't about Reich.  Wilks deserved a legitimate look and he didn't get one, but the Panthers pretended they did, that's all the problem is.

Just now, trueblade said:

You said "could make an argument that he didn't get offers because teams assumed he was going to be the Panthers coach"

And I'm saying that's not how NFL teams think or work. 

I've met you before in real life and I know that neither you or I both work for an NFL team, so let's not get into who knows what here.

Edited by TheMaulClaw

2 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Well if this is the philosophy we want to use with Reich why don't we apply to Wilks as well.  He's a bad coach because he had a bad year at AZ when everyone knows he got screwed there.  Yet it couldn't be an outlier like last year is being painted for Reich?

While Wilks was the interim we would have all the conversation in concordance about how he got screwed in AZ, and now that Reich is selected people are using this same info to poo on Wilks.  It's not right.  Its a double standard and it's old.

Put the two resumes side by side and take off the names. You're really trying to say you'd take Wilks?