• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This is starting to get nasty with coach wilks.

ncguy2184

24 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

It's just curious to me that we make quarterback excuses for the guy we hire but don't give the guy we let go of the same benefit of the doubt.

We don't say Wilks didn't do better because of Sam, Baker, and PJ? Pretty sure we have said that.

You have to judge a coach on something. If we sit here and say the best coaches have the best teams ... well duh. So all you can go on is what their stats say. Had Wilks gone 12-0 (hell, even 9-3) instead of 6-6, he'd be our coach.

If you want to call Reich and Wilks dead even in terms of skill and ability ... cool. I'm fine with that. So at that point you ask what did the team want. The answer was an offensive minded coach. That's not Wilks. End of story.

Edited by Brooklyn 3.0
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Yeah sometimes it is that way..and sometimes it's warranted.  There is enough circumstantial evidence in this case to take a look. I hope that the Panthers have just a truly terrible PR department...but it seems to me that there was a whole lot of misinformation leaked to the media about how much of a viable candidate Wilks truly was.  I hope it's just bad optics. I hope the Panthers address this on Tuesday to provide clarity.  Though I out money on Tepper dodging. God I wish we would have landed Navarro.

It wasn't misinformation.

Wilks was a viable candidate.

Heck, he was reported to have had Scott Fitterer's support for the job.

3 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Fair enough and sorry about including that.

I see your point on his daughter but with all the other ties he has to the area do you really believe that his daughter getting a job with Carolina was a deal maker.  I think it's coincidental. 

The timing is very interesting. That's all I could say.  Now over all the other time she has been here this is when she applies.  She announced right after the last game.  The timing is very interesting.

3 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

We don't say Wilks didn't do better because of Sam, Baker, and PJ? Pretty sure we have said that.

You have to judge a coach on something. If we sit here and say the best coaches have the best teams ... well duh. So all you can go on is what their stats say. Had Wilks on 12-0 (hell, even 9-3) instead of 6-6, he'd be our coach.

If you want to call Reich and Wilks dead even in terms of skill and ability ... cool. I'm fine with that. So at that point you ask what did the team want. The answer was an offensive minded coach. That's not Wilks. End of story.

And that is okay as long as the Wilks interviews were legitimate.

I just don’t see how the obvious direction the team looks to be doing just isn’t a fit for Coach Wilkes in any way possible. We look like we’re going all in on a young qb so why not have a coach that can sit there and help him grow?  You hire a defensive coach and even if he finds the right OC for the job that coach could be plucked away the next season. This way you have a stable coach to lead your new expensive investment for a long time presumably. 

1 minute ago, TheMaulClaw said:

The timing is very interesting. That's all I could say.  Now over all the other time she has been here this is when she applies.  She announced right after the last game.  The timing is very interesting.

He is the 1st QB in Carolina Panther history that's historic.  To help an organization that chose you to be the first QB ever by itself would be a solid reason to come back.  Having a home here, his brother is here and many other factors.   I just see it as a weak argument that her being hired was some sort of prerequisite for him to come here.  

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Not really.

She applied before her dad was even fired, went through the interview process and got hired by a manager who's got zero to do with football operations.

The conspiracy stuff is stupid. Hell, she's even had to delete her Twitter account now, most likely because ignorant people were giving her sh-t over something she had nothing to do with.

That's the kind of dumb crap this sort of bullsh-t produces, and why it's better not to engage in this kind of stupidity.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3
  • Poo 1

8 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

He is the 1st QB in Carolina Panther history that's historic.  To help an organization that chose you to be the first QB ever by itself would be a solid reason to come back.  Having a home here, his brother is here and many other factors.   I just see it as a weak argument that her being hired was some sort of prerequisite for him to come here.  

I didn't say it was a prerequisital.  I think Reich is a good guy and he doesn't strike me as the type to demand something like that as a condition of employment.  I do think it's possible that the team had a nod nod wink wink agreement much earlier for him to be the coach, and hired her after that.

Do we really think that the Panthers wouldn't have contacted Reich much earlier then the formal interviews?  It wouldn't have broken any tampering rules.  They absolutely spoke to Reich much earlier in the process then they said.  Which is okay, but at least be upfront with Wilks.  That's the part that pisses me off.  Just be honest with the man.

Edited by TheMaulClaw

1 minute ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Do we really think that the Panthers wouldn't have contacted Reich much earlier then the formal interviews?  It wouldn't have broken any tampering rules.  They absolutely spoke to Reich much earlier in the process then they said.  Which is okay, but at least be upfront with Wilks.  That's the part that pisses me off.  Just be honest with the man.

And this is the kind of zero evidence speculation that just makes the discussion all that much dumber.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not really.

She applied before her dad was even fired, went through the interview process and got hired by a manager who's got zero to do with football operations.

The conspiracy stuff is stupid. Hell, she's even had to delete her Twitter account now, most likely because ignorant people were giving her sh-t over something she had nothing to do with.

That's the kind of dumb crap this sort of bullsh-t produces, and why it's better not to engage in this kind of stupidity.

Do you think Matt Rhule had been contacted by colleges before he was let go of?  Because there were rumors he was going to Nebraska while still on the sideline with us. 

It's possible Reich knew he was done prior to being fired.

Just now, TheMaulClaw said:

I didn't say it was a prerequisital.  I think Reich is a good guy and he doesn't strike me as the type to demand something like that as a condition of employment.  I do think it's possible that the team had a nod nod wink wink agreement much earlier for him to be the coach much earlier, and hired her after that.

How do we know they weren’t up front with him?