• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Do Over

Mr. Scot

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Lol. So true and are people actually saying intentional grounding call was bad? That was so obvious. He threw it almost straight down, not even to two OL in front of him, and he was definitely still in the pocket.

Heck, at least on the do over you can see the official coming on the field to stop the play. 

There still was a receiver in the area.  Which is what makes it PI or not.  And that was the NFL explanation despite it bouncing to the player. 

I mean, you can just keep naming the plays.  Because there were so many of them.  I think the punt return to set up the game winning field goal was horrific.  That area of for the block in back virtually never gets missed...but it was.  And that is exactly where he ran to.  And then on the final Mahomes run, blatant holding to allow him to escape.  Go the Bengals drive prior.   Every big time QB gets that late hit in that moment.  But not a game w/ that much home cooking. 

It was a horrifically called game.  Can't have that many questionable calls late in a game.  All stacking on top of each other. 

and I'm not a Burrow guy.  Not skin in the game.  But that was horrible officiating for a game like that.  Especially late. 

• Pie 2

50 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

As clear as the muddy Mississippi RIver.

Okay.

Wrong. The ref announcing the "game clock and play clock will start on my signal" is the exact opposite of what the rule reads and does not match his post-game comments regarding the same play.

The play was supposed to be stopped when the ref ran onto the field waving his hands. You're referring to the errors that led up to that. That's not what I was referring to. poo happens in NFL games. The refs aren't perfect. Regardless of the errors that led to the play, if you're suggesting that they should have compounded the error by allowing a play that was officially stopped, I do not agree.

You replay the down and let the chips fall where they may. That's the only credible way to do it. 

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

55 minutes ago, CRA said:

yeah, the Bengals intentional grounding was bogus.   I mean, the ball lliterally bounced into the hands of the guy covering Perine.   

It wasn’t like one super super blatant call since that do over didn’t actually really super changing the game. But when ya dig and look at the other surrounding calls, it wasn’t evenly called. I hope CIN brass is on top of it.

17 hours ago, Eric4280 said:

The holding on this play in particular, was terrible. Trey and Reader were legitimately hooked and Pat also had a grounding call that ended up not even being looked at, yet Burrow had one near his endzone with perine closer than anyone was near mahomes. The whole overview of the game was home cooking. Headlined by the debacle. I’d feel cheated if I were Cin.

I'd feel cheated if my QB threw two interceptions and got sacked five times on the road in an incredibly hostile stadium.

There were a few crap calls that took touchdowns away from the Chiefs too.

15 hours ago, stbugs said:

Perine wasn’t in the area. It was thrown at the ground in front of the OLs’ feet.

Here’s Mahomes in a similar play but actually threw it at the feet of Kelce even though it looks like he got hit. Pretty obvious to me that one was not grounding and the other was. Unlike what the post said Mahomes’ throw wasn’t identical.

He was in the area.  The ball bounced into the hands of the guy covering him.  And that is what makes it a penalty or not.  Was Burrow actually trying to throw it to him for a completion? No.  He didn’t have to be.  That's not what makes it a penalty or not.  QBs get rid of balls all the time intentionally and aren’t trying to connect to the WR in the area.  The point often is just to get rid of the ball and survive the sack/pressure.  Not complete the pass. 

40 minutes ago, CRA said:

The ball bounced into the hands of the guy covering him.

Seven or eight yards downfield from where the ball hit the ground.

He was in the pocket

The ball didnt make it back to the LOS

Perine was across the LOS and therefore "downfield"

The only players in the area where the ball hit the turf were ineligible

Its textbook grounding

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Cullenator said:

Seven or eight yards downfield from where the ball hit the ground.

He was in the pocket

The ball didnt make it back to the LOS

Perine was across the LOS and therefore "downfield"

The only players in the area where the ball hit the turf were ineligible

Its textbook grounding

but the NFL stance in game and post game centers around no receiver being in the vicinity.   Which there was, by the standard the NFL has routinely set. 

It was still thrown in the direction of and vicinity of a WR.  And the NFL is has been much broader than that Bengals example. But yeah, Burrow was dirting it.  that doesn't matter. 

and they let QBs do that all the time.  Burrow did it the week prior vs Buffalo.  Mahomes vs the Jags.  

Tell me the NFL wasn’t going to let Manning retire without a Super Bowl. Didn’t the same thing happened to Ray Lewis when he announced his retirement? NFL is rigged to a point.

let the NFL golden boy retire with a Super Bowl or have small market team panthers with a show boating QB win? Yeah that answer is obvious.

10 hours ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

I'd feel cheated if my QB threw two interceptions and got sacked five times on the road in an incredibly hostile stadium.

There were a few crap calls that took touchdowns away from the Chiefs too.

Oh stop. There’s no way you can pin this as a wash. Get your bias out of here. Please defend the blatant holding on the final play. Defend the debacle. Defend that bogus PI that was hand on hip with no twist. 

That second INT was basically a punt as well. Burrow isn’t the MAIN reason Cincy didn’t win. Cut the crap.

8 hours ago, CRA said:

but the NFL stance in game and post game centers around no receiver being in the vicinity.   Which there was, by the standard the NFL has routinely set. 

It was still thrown in the direction of and vicinity of a WR.  And the NFL is has been much broader than that Bengals example. But yeah, Burrow was dirting it.  that doesn't matter. 

and they let QBs do that all the time.  Burrow did it the week prior vs Buffalo.  Mahomes vs the Jags.  

Nah, that's not the standard. I've watched plenty enough football to know that for sure.

• Pie 1

Gene Steratore confirmed on Pat McAfee that he would've called 2 holds on the Chiefs on that final play.  By textbook, hould've been offsetting. Also admitted the Hilton PI was not warranted.  

That game should've gone to OT.  Damn shame.   

One thing is for sure--that crew is relegated to Panthers games next year lol.

1 minute ago, Bear Hands said:

Gene Steratore confirmed on Pat McAfee that he would've called 2 holds on the Chiefs on that final play.  By textbook, hould've been offsetting. Also admitted the Hilton PI was not warranted.  

That game should've gone to OT.  Damn shame.   

One thing is for sure--that crew is relegated to Panthers games next year lol.

Anyone who couldn't see that the officiating in that game was fuged is either wildly biased or willfully ignorant. The worst day of NFL officiating since SB50. It honestly dampens my enthusiasm for watching the SB. 

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Nah, that's not the standard. I've watched plenty enough football to know that for sure.

Yeah, because chucking balls in the stands, out of bounds, and to random spots with no intent for a WR to actually catch them doesn’t happen every Sunday in the NFL you watch.   Both QBs committed similar plays the week prior.  That’s how far you have to go looking. 

intentional grounding had been a blurred rule for some time.  Panthers tried to get some verbiage changed a couple years ago and didn’t get it. 

Former NFL VP of officials also said it wasn’t intentional grounding per the rules.   Which are actually pointlessly in-depth.