• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Poll: What do you want Panthers to do for QB?

NAS

What do you want Panthers to do this offseason?  

217 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want Panthers to do regarding QB situation this offseason

• Draft best available QB at current draft position (#9)
    • Trade up with Bears (#1) and draft a QB (whatever it takes)
    • Trade up with Cardinals (#3) and draft a QB (whatever it takes)
    • Sign Derek Carr and draft best available player at #9
    • Trade for Lamar Jackson, fully guaranteed contract (Watson like trade)

2 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

At #1, you have your choice of whoever, so no matter the opinion, you're getting the top designated option.  

A trade up to #3 or 5 brings in scenarios, specific players, etc.  Within that option lies the hope that someone's top option is available.

You don't try to trade until draft day. And again, is it only classified as "taking a shot" if it's for your preferred qb and not someone else?

Just now, Jon Snow said:

You don't try to trade until draft day. And again, is it only classified as "taking a shot" if it's for your preferred qb and not someone else?

I don't understand what you're getting at.  

If it's #1, it's going for the top guy on the board, regardless of fan A, fan B, it's the team's top option.  

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Carr isn't signing to be a bridge, or for bridge money. 

He's going to sign somewhere where there is no immediate threat to his position as ''the guy''. 

NO / TB make the most immediate sense, neither has a 1st round pick, and are likely to spend to attain his services. 

The Raiders seem to be the Jimmy G destination, it just kinda makes to much sense. 

Jordan Love has a 20M+ 5th year option value, so if they pick that up it stands to reason Rodgers is as good as gone, and he already said no to SF, so you'd think NYJ was the answer, as the Packers said they won't send him to a NFC team. 

No team is giving him what he wants, neither NO or TB has any cap space, in fact both are significantly over the cap and any moves they make to get under, let alone under enough to sign Carr, will deplete their rosters to a significant degree. Carr wants to win, he can win here for a year or 2 and he'd have every opportunity to hold off a rookie QB if he does play well enough. 

• Pie 1

If it's #1, it's going for the top guy on the board, regardless of fan A, fan B, it's the team's top option.  

And historically, trades for #1 have happened before draft day.  49ers were a rare case of doing it prior not for the top spot.  But I doubt that happens again unless it's another draft with such an obvious locked in top pick & the team at 1 isn't moving (Trevor-JAX).

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

I'm saying that if the Panthers do not trade the farm to get the #1 pick or trade up for any of the top 4 picks but rather take someone else at 9 for qb or a qb later in the draft would it still be considered "taking a shot" on an unknown rookie?

Edited by Jon Snow

And historically, trades for #1 have happened before draft day.  49ers were a rare case of doing it prior not for the top spot.  But I doubt that happens again unless it's another draft with such an obvious locked in top pick & the team at 1 isn't moving (Trevor-JAX).

Yeah if we are trading for the top pick, it helps to do it early. That way you can build your team accordingly.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

My honest answer would be "whatever this staff wants".

We've got a smart coaching staff with tons of NFL experience, including plenty in the quarterback department.

I'm on board with whatever they think.

Lazy answer - what do you prefer?

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm say that if the Panthers do not trade the farm to get the #1 pick or trade up for any of the top 4 picks but rather take someone else at 9 for qb or a qb later in the draft would it still be considered "taking a shot" on an unknown rookie?

Well yeah, semantics wise, we can say "taking a shot" is basically using a draft pick.  

It's commonly being used in the context of taking the risk, grabbing your balls and nose, and jumping two feet in for a crazy trade.  

• Beer 1

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Yeah if we are trading for the top pick, it helps to do it early. That way you can build your team accordingly.

The Panthers are signing a qb in FA. You might as well prepare yourself for that. The only thing left to figure out is whether they are bluffing about going all in for one of these rookie prospects. 

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

The Panthers are signing a qb in FA. You might as well prepare yourself for that. The only thing left to figure out is whether they are bluffing about going all in for one of these rookie prospects. 

I hope you're wrong.  I'd rather roll with Darnold as a bridge QB then give a multiyear deal to Carr which will likely include a lot of guaranteed $$$.  

• Beer 1

Just now, Jon Snow said:

Oh I agree, but will it be a career backup like Case Keenum or someone they expect to play a portion of the year like Brissett. Even if we get the top pick we would need a vet backup.

• Beer 1