• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Go for Carr hard and save #9 pick?

Jmac

12 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I mean, I can see some similarities, and Trubisky is the better runner, but Carr has been the better QB.

Now I will say this: I think Trubisky's career got off to the shakiest of starts due to instability and awful coaching. I see Carr as more of finished product (as in you know what you're getting) and Trubisky as still a project.

If your point is that Carr is a lit closer to Trubisky than LJ, mission accomplished.

At the end of the day, I wouldnt inquire about either one of them (Carr or Trubisky).

Yeah, Trubisky definitely landed in a really shitty spot. I honestly don't know if he was ever going to be legit though. To ultimately make it as an NFL QB you have to walk that fine line between confident and cocky. You have to be confident nearly to the point of delusion but not allow it to teeter into cockiness where you don't put in the necessary work.

I don't know that Trubisky ever had that. I want to see how Drake Maye plays next year. I'm not 100% sold that he has it either but his older brother Luke having it gives me hope that he does. That mentality I spoke of above is a big part of why I was so high on Sam Howell. He walks that confident/cocky line perfectly. Never too high, never too low, never gets frustrated or blames teammates, he just focuses on the things he can control and has utmost confidence in himself to deliver in those things.

In the NFL things are going to go badly sometimes. You're gonna throw picks. You're going to fail to deliver in the clutch. You're going to lose winnable games. You're going to have some games where it feels like you can't do anything right. How do you bounce back from those things? That goes a long way toward separating the real deals from the pretenders.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

You’re not going to be bad enough to be anywhere close to Maye.. Ppl need to stop thinking that is a plan..

Honestly, as a Panthers fan, I've learn to not expect anything until the season actually starts. People have offered different reasons for it, but Reich didn't actually light the world on fire last season before getting canned. 

Reich has admitted getting off to slow starts (and Lord help us if he does that the coming season).

I like how he has built the staff, but I'm still lukewarm on his play calling and his head-coaching to be perfectly honest. He's going to have to show me that he's in the top tier of coaches before I believe it. 

Every team (including the Panthers) wants a franchise QB on a rookie contract.  I have no doubt that if the Panthers see a QB they're high on in this year's draft, they'll do what they have to to get him.  Just know, the Panthers aren't one player away from greatness and that a vet QB will almost certainly be part of their plan.

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

Honestly, as a Panthers fan, I've learn to not expect anything until the season actually starts. People have offered different reasons for it, but Reich didn't actually light the world on fire last season before getting canned. 

Reich has admitted getting off to slow starts (and Lord help us if he does that the coming season).

I like how he has built the staff, but I'm still lukewarm on his play calling and his head-coaching to be perfectly honest. He's going to have to show me that he's in the top tier of coaches before I believe it. 

Cool team is still to talented to be that bad and at least Reich is known to be a competent coach.. Which with this roster is more then enough to be at least competitive for a 500 record.. Which won’t put you anywhere near Williams or Maye..

2 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Every team (including the Panthers) wants a franchise QB on a rookie contract.  I have no doubt that if the Panthers see a QB they're high on in this year's draft, they'll do what they have to to get him.  Just know, the Panthers aren't one player away from greatness and that a vet QB will almost certainly be part of their plan.

I agree a vet will be brought in but it won’t be a 30mil + vet.. 

7 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

I think we'll TRY but that doesn't mean we'll succeed. A team has to be willing to come off of that pick and you have to have the most appealing trade offer. It's not slam dunk even if you try really hard.

Not sure if I buy into this "not being one player away" mentality. Put Mahomes or Allen or Burrow or Herbert on this team. Now what are your expectations?

On 2/15/2023 at 3:01 PM, rayzor said:

I'm fine either way. i see pros and cons to all of it, but ultimately i trust the coaches. feels weird.

This ^ 100%. And even the part about it feeling weird.

If he's on the table for them, then he's there for a really good reason. If he's not, then there's a really good reason. We aren't approaching this like we're trying to recruit some guy with the promise of a scholarship and a starting gig vs some SEC team. 

Right now, even if they decide that Darnold will be the starter, I'm going to go, okay... you guys know better than me.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think we'll TRY but that doesn't mean we'll succeed. A team has to be willing to come off of that pick and you have to have the most appealing trade offer. It's not slam dunk even if you try really hard.

Not sure if I buy into this "not being one player away" mentality. Put Mahomes or Allen or Burrow or Herbert on this team. Now what are your expectations?

Way more confident that Fitt can make a trade then Hurney and Gettelmen..

• Pie 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

That's what makes the NFL superior to the other professional sports leagues.  All the restrictions that prevent one owner from simply buying championships.  Organizations have to be smarter than their competition on and off the field. 

Hopefully, what we've witnessed these last few weeks is an indication that Tepper has finally figured this out.

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Way more confident that Fitt can make a trade then Hurney and Gettelmen..

I'm more confident that he can make a trade that makes sense than Hurney. Oh, Hurney could make it happen but he could also cripple us in the process. I imagine Gettleman was probably really hard to deal with. Everything with that guy is a dick measuring contest. He has to feel like he's winning bigly every time. That's highly unlikely to happen when you're looking at trading into the top 5 of the draft.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm more confident that he can make a trade that makes sense than Hurney. Oh, Hurney could make it happen but he could also cripple us in the process. I imagine Gettleman was probably really hard to deal with. Everything with that guy is a dick measuring contest. He has to feel like he's winning bigly every time. That's highly unlikely to happen when you're looking at trading into the top 5 of the draft.

Agreed.. That’s 1 thing I’ll give Fitts his trades haven’t been crippling and he seem to have a good reputation with other GM’s..

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Agreed.. That’s 1 thing I’ll give Fitts his trades haven’t been crippling and he seem to have a good reputation with other GM’s..

Yeah, I supported Gettleman while he was here but that Norman fiasco soured me big time. The further we were removed from Gettleman and watching him do the same things in NY forced me to admit that firing him was the right call even if it was for all the wrong reasons. Those wrong reasons being bringing Hurney back to ink career achievement contracts for JR's favorite aging vets. It's ironic that Gettleman got himself fired for losing a dick measuring contest where he was actually absolutely right.