• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting twist regarding Lamar Jackson...

Proudiddy

16 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

To be fair in regards to the injury argument against Lamar - a bulk of the games he missed were this past season with the knee issue, and from what I was hearing, some believed he was fully healed a long time ago but purposely sat out because they hadn't extended him, and I can't blame him.

I'd be willing to bet some of his teammates would.

(not really something I'd like hearing as a coach or personnel guy either)

Edited by Mr. Scot

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

You don't believe a guy who's missed ten games over the past seasons would (or should) have any trouble getting a fully guaranteed contract?

Dude, you are way off the rails on this one.

Where have I ever said that he should get a fully guaranteed contract. In fact, what I said is that I think that he's going to have to compromise, and that he probably was going to be disappointed with the market if he wants a contract that is too over the top. Just what exactly have you been reading? It surely hasn't been my posts.

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Where have I ever said that he should get a fully guaranteed contract. In fact, what I said is that I think that he's going to have to compromise, and that he probably was going to be disappointed with the market if he wants a contract that is too over the top. Just what exactly have you been reading? It surely hasn't been my posts.

He's shown no inclination toward that so far.

If he's willing to compromise though, why wouldn't he do it with the Ravens?

• Pie 1

Additionally, there are a few reasons not to do this. 

Cam Newton after 30. 
Michael Vick after 30. 
Randall Cunningham after 30. 
Your favorite HB after 30. 

it might be even worse with Lamar because of the speed of the game now compared even to the time Cam was dominating. Dual threat guys have been somewhat caged by defense going speed only and the arms are coming back into style. So are big bodied TE that edge rushers can’t cover for 3 downs. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

He's shown no inclination toward that so far.

If he's willing to compromise though, why wouldn't he do it with the Ravens?

He has issues with the Ravens, which anyone paying attention has figured out, but, more importantly, he hasn't tested (nor been able to test) the market.

Edited by top dawg

8 hours ago, jasonluckydog said:

I'm having trouble paying for eggs and now you want me to pay this dude? ..

Nope.

If you're going to use that argument, then you probably want to eschew the NFL altogether. 

I'd add that politicians, bankers, entertainers in general, many business owners, Wall Street wolves, etc. are grossly overpaid depending upon one's perspective, particularly when juxtaposed against Joe Schmo in the proletariat. But, this is the world in which we live. Nothing ever changes until the people---largely dumb and/or apathetic---the working stiffs get tired and decide to change things. Until then, we may as well take solace in our largely meaningless entertainment on some level---entertainment like the NFL, Iphones, Netflix, alcohol and drugs which is used to placate and pacify the masses.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

Going to be interesting to see what the Ravens do with that franchise tag...

Lamar is going to be wanted by a lot of teams including us. What happens with him will tell us a lot about our next step. Say Atlanta gets him and we now have 1 less team to worry about taking a QB ahead of us. Do we stand pat at #9 and hope Levis/AR falls to us?

If Lamar becomes available we would be crazy not to pursue him. The dude is simply a franchise QB who will instantly be the best QB in the NFC the moment he arrives. If we don't trade any key players for him we are easily the favorites with the Eagles to win the NFC.

I know a lot of people on this board is against trading for Lamar, but some of us just want a franchise QB for a change. Last time we had that kind of game changing talent at QB we were in the SB. Im all for going all in on Lamar Jackson.

On 2/17/2023 at 10:27 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, no. It would still mean a mega contract and two 1st round picks for a player that has been struggling with injuries.

I agree…IMO if the cost was 2 first round picks it is a decent risk to take for him.  It’s the massive guaranteed contract that should be scaring us away 

Edited by Shocker

12 minutes ago, Shocker said:

I agree…IMO if the cost was 2 first round picks it is a decent risk to take for him.  It’s the massive guaranteed contract that should be scaring us away 

You realize elite QB's get paid a lot of money right?

Allen/Burrow/Herbert will all get paid possibly more than Lamar.

Not sure why everyone is making a big deal out of Lamar's contract. QB's are the most important position in football when you get an elite QB be prepared to pay up. If not some other team will do it for them.