• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB options sorted in preference tiers

JawnyBlaze

4 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

Don’t care how many picks a team has.

In the current nfl, with rules geared to offense, if they don’t have a starting qb, they have zero

you can believe in the Darnold and Corral disaster if you wish but I want better 

we are in a position to get better at QB.    Go get it 

I don't believe in those after Young or Stroud is the problem. As I understand it next years QBs are better than the class this year. I see Levis as another Mayfield an Richard as a younger cam.

42 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Makes far more logical sense giving up multiple 1sts for a proven like Lamar, than Young/Stroud who (and this should not be ignored) may have had their flaws hidden by blue chip surrounding talent.  

Surrounding talent/the team they play for doesn’t hide flaws if you’re actually paying attention to the QB. It only hides flaws if you’re just going off stats. Stroud does things that no amount of talent around him can influence. I’m not saying he’s perfect and can’t miss, every single player that’s drafted could bust.  But Stroud (and to a lesser degree Young) has shown abilities and development that you just don’t see in the vast majority of QB prospects. Not Mahommes in college, not Lawrence in college, certainly not Fields or whatever other lazy comparison you want to make based on who they played for or what kind of talent they had around them. 

• Flames 1

30 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

you said the film doesn’t look different.. 

What film are you looking at if it isn’t college??

Highschool , pop Warner, flag football??

Film would be different because they are different human beings in different situations. 

Is Stroud/Young’s film so much better to warrant the cost of trading up? I don’t think so. You do. It’s cool. 

College stats are essentially meaningless. The bad stats like turnovers have some correlation to the league, but who cares about TD’s? It looks nice but scrubs in good offenses put up stats. 

The concern with Corral (understandably so) is his rehab on the lis franc, and the style of offense in college, and I think his deep accuracy is a question mark regarding consistency. 

But athleticism, arm strength, short/mid accuracy, release, elusiveness, foot speed, etc…well…I don’t see Stroud and Young as clear talent upgrades. Young is noticeably smaller than Corral. Stroud is a little bigger (thicker).

But of course a lot of these guys have physical traits to be NFL QB’s at this point, and the make or break thing is their mental game. 

And that’s the thing that no one here, and no one in the front office can fully answer. That is just a wait and see and hope thing.

3 minutes ago, cmichd08 said:

I don't believe in those after Young or Stroud is the problem. As I understand it next years QBs are better than the class this year. I see Levis as another Mayfield a Richard as a younger cam.

Richardson isn’t 1/10th the passer Cam was even coming out of college. Does he have Cam’s work ethic to improve? Maybe. He has Cam’s legs (maybe not Cam’s power, but he’s faster) but Cam could already throw the football well. Richardson not so much. 

Edited by JawnyBlaze
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, cmichd08 said:

I don't believe in those after Young or Stroud is the problem. As I understand it next years QBs are better than the class this year. I see Levis as another Mayfield an Richard as a younger cam.

Who would you like next season? Williams and Maye are good but do you think we'll be in a position to get them? If not who do you have above Levis and Richardson?

Just now, stan786 said:

Who would you like next season? Williams and Maye are good but do you think we'll be in a position to get them? If not who do you have above Levis and Richardson?

Williams and Maye will all of a sudden transform into “okay prospects” by this time next year and whoever is coming out in 2025 will be “a much better QB class”. Book it. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Surrounding talent/the team they play for doesn’t hide flaws if you’re actually paying attention to the QB. It only hides flaws if you’re just going off stats. Stroud does things that no amount of talent around him can influence. I’m not saying he’s perfect and can’t miss, every single player that’s drafted could bust.  But Stroud (and to a lesser degree Young) has shown abilities and development that you just don’t see in the vast majority of QB prospects. Not Mahommes in college, not Lawrence in college, certainly not Fields or whatever other lazy comparison you want to make based on who they played for or what kind of talent they had around them. 

Well I couldn’t disagree more. This is common thinking with QB’s. It’s understandable too. 

They are the star, they touch the ball every play, and they are the most watched player because of it. They take all the blame for losses. They get all the glory when things go well. 

But although they are the most important, much of the blame they catch and the glory they get is an illusion, because…

This is the king of team sports. It’s impossible to clearly evaluate a QB in a vacuum. And that’s just regarding on field performance. It’s even harder to predict how their off field lives will impact their career. 

Much of it is making sure they have enough arm strength to make NFL throws, how accurate are they in a clean pocket/under pressure/on the move. Do they have mobility if you value it. Do they show discipline and leadership. 

Then you get one and try to surround them with the coaching/pieces to help them succeed.  

And then they still could suck. Happens all the time. 

10 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Williams and Maye will all of a sudden transform into “okay prospects” by this time next year and whoever is coming out in 2025 will be “a much better QB class”. Book it. 

Not to mention.. This should be and is expected to be a better team based off professionals coaching alone.. So we won’t be near Williams or Maye anyway and probably looking to give up more to get them..

• Pie 1