• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers met with Hooker per report

raleigh-panther

17 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

As a sidebar, it is pretty sweet how well tied our younger staff is to the good McVay regime.  Blending that with Fangio mentees & Reich's tree that stems through SD/Indy/Philly, we've got some wicked good minds in the house.    

We do.

I also kind of wonder if they're going to take a look at what Ben Johnson was doing in Detroit. One of the reasons Johnson did so well last year was because he reportedly found some exploitable flaws in the Fangio style defense.

That's the kinda thing I'd probably want to know about.

39 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

I genuinely want to like him as a prospect.  I want to see more than flashes of anticipation and touch with his type of ability.  I mean, his release is lightning and if you plug him in, he's a top-10 arm talent in the league.    

But in comparison, if you watch Josh Allen in school, it's night and day.  He came out of nowhere and for 2 years was recklessly bombing balls left and right, leading guys downfield, creating, even if he was inaccurate and raw as hell.  6'5 230+, running like Cam and a mad man launching balls at recess.  

Levis was mid-tier recruit used as a short yardage running-QB.  He wasn't even PSU's starting QB but they rammed him in 130+ times in 2 years at a 3.5 YPC.  Then transfers after not winning the starting job, has a McVay guy to implement a pro-offense at UK.  He does pretty well in 2021.  Then, said OC leaves after 21 and the production plummets, he regresses, and is banged up.  So you get a hint of him looking pretty good in 2021, and he has a few near elite traits.    

@Mr. Scot Put it well.  We have 2 coaches in Evero & Thomas Brown who likely have Liam Coen on speed dial.  Coen knows what he brings so that connection is a huge game breaker for the fit.    

Your comment of the fact he couldn't find a better school for a starting job hasn't been mentioned enough by fans or the media. Just an instant excuse for why he didn't look great for some reason. At the same time what if you just swapped him out of Hendon on the Tenn offense? I don't think he'd put up the same numbers, he's nowhere near as accurate in his passing or as calm in the pocket. 

• Pie 1

He's a legitimate pro prospect! I watched closely this season to see if he was just a system guy, but he can definitely make NFL throws. I'm just not sure if I believe that he'll be 100% by training camp. 

His sister is his business manager, and she handles NIL deals for another Tennessee QB, so I've worked with her a lot. In talking with her after the season, it sounded like he'd have to miss most of the next year. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Out of all the QB's in this class, I'd argue Hooker is the most cerebral. His growth in Huepel's offense was masterful, and his leadership skills are terrific. Great dude too.

Doesn't have a laser cannon like his backup (and soon to be starter) Joe Milton, but can thread the needle when needed.

Best Vol QB since Peyton, IMO. Shame he got hurt in the SC game. That game changed everything for UT.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, Jackie Lee said:

Your comment of the fact he couldn't find a better school for a starting job hasn't been mentioned enough by fans or the media. Just an instant excuse for why he didn't look great for some reason. At the same time what if you just swapped him out of Hendon on the Tenn offense? I don't think he'd put up the same numbers, he's nowhere near as accurate in his passing or as calm in the pocket. 

I like Hendon's patience in the pocket.  It's one of his better traits, but to understand where he's at outside the TEN offense is not necessarily an unknown.  We shouldn't forget Hooker learned 2 different offenses in college.  VT's had RPO and designed runs, but was a zone run scheme, had TE usage, and he faired well.  I'll never forget them blanking Pickett/Pitt 28-0.  Didn't put up gaudy stats, but I think his VT tape is important to understand where he's at and capable of.  And that was earlier in his development.  

I will also point to the Corral point made.  Ole Miss's offense is just, if not more simplistic with the whole partial-read RPO type setup and many seem to be okay with letting Corral get in there.  I think Hooker is a lot less gimmicky than is let on.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

People saying he's a worse QB than AR and Levis are crazy. Maybe he doesn't have the POTENTIAL of those guys, but he's actually accomplished more on the field than they have. And looked better doing it. More consistent, more cerebral, better grasp of the field. He just doesn't have off-the-charts measurables and he's older than the average draft pick.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

This is a long thread. If this has been posted I apologize. I found this on NFL.com. Bucky Brooks is a former player and scout. He's a knowledgeable guy. He has Hooker ranked #3 in this years QB class, just ahead of Levis @ #4. Both reports are worth reading because. Pros and Cons are listed. Both guys would benefit from the strong coaching staff Reich has assembled in Carolina.

https://www.nfl.com/news/bucky-brooks-top-five-2023-nfl-draft-prospects-by-position-1-0-stroud-young-hook

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Teddy’s career rushing yards at Louisville were 226 averaging .8 per carry Hooker was 2079 averaging 4 yards a carry. Yeah they seem sooooo similar…..

Yeah and he blew out his ACL when the wind blew the wrong way.

Btw Bridgewater rushed 53 times for 279 yards his year with Carolina averaging over 5 a carry.  He isn't Eli Manning.

2 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

This is a long thread. If this has been posted I apologize. I found this on NFL.com. Bucky Brooks is a former player and scout. He's a knowledgeable guy. He has Hooker ranked #3 in this years QB class, just ahead of Levis @ #4. Both reports are worth reading because. Pros and Cons are listed. Both guys would benefit from the strong coaching staff Reich has assembled in Carolina.

https://www.nfl.com/news/bucky-brooks-top-five-2023-nfl-draft-prospects-by-position-1-0-stroud-young-hook

If we are planning on waiting until the 2nd to draft him we better have a plan B, because it just takes one team with a high ranking like this to swoop in and draft him.  

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

If we are planning on waiting until the 2nd to draft him we better have a plan B, because it just takes one team with a high ranking like this to swoop in and draft him.  

If our plan to fix the qb situation here is to wait and draft hooker in the 2nd then we are dumber than dirt for a multitude of reasons.  Having said that we have adults in the room now and they will come up with a better plan then that.   Which is why I think Hooker will basically be off our qb board when it comes time to draft

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Yeah and he blew out his ACL when the wind blew the wrong way.

Btw Bridgewater rushed 53 times for 279 yards his year with Carolina averaging over 5 a carry.  He isn't Eli Manning.

What does his injury have to do with anything?  ACL injuries happen in practice sometimes. What a pointless comment....

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2089798-how-and-why-minimal-or-non-contact-injuries-occur-in-nfl-workouts#:~:text=In the case of direct,also plays a significant role.

Hooker is a true dual threat QB in college, Teddy was a pocket passer than rarely ran.  Comparing them is just random.  The fact that you had to pull one year out of his whole career and still came up with only 279 total rushing yards tells the whole story.

10 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Hooker's ypc his senior season was essentially identical to Bridgewater's the year he was here

and higher than Josh Allen's were in college?  So what exactly does that mean??  Is he a stronger Josh Allen because of your random metric you are using?  Seems pretty flawed....

12 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If our plan to fix the qb situation here is to wait and draft hooker in the 2nd then we are dumber than dirt for a multitude of reasons.  Having said that we have adults in the room now and they will come up with a better plan then that.   Which is why I think Hooker will basically be off our qb board when it comes time to draft

I agree.  I think it's just hard to project where a QB is going to go in the draft (aside from the top ones), because it's such a premium position that will constantly be over drafted.   I'm just still confused by the guy who called Hooker Teddy?  So I've heard Stroud and Hooker be compared to Teddy so far this offseason....