• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dave Grohl is just good people

jayboogieman

4 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Didnt care for Nirvana back in the day (more of a Pearl Jam guy) and somehow managed to project Kurt's "above it all" attitude on the whole band.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

Dave seems to be taking lessons from Dolly and is a real good dude

My favorite Pearl Jam song is the one that goes eherrehheherrheaeah

Dave Grohl really is a good dude. Never been a Foo Fighters fan but loved Nirvana.

Anyway, my sister in law's college roommates' husband (whew, that's a mouthful) is good friends with Grohl. He's an HVAC guy and Grohl was having lots of issues with his HVAC system and they just got to know each other from all the house calls he was having to make. This guy isn't the owner of an HVAC company, he's just your standard blue collar HVAC tech. Grohl has had him and his family over for BBQs, flown them out to shows, all kinds of stuff. Definitely just an all around good dude.

It really does seem like Grohl is actually as awesome as all the headlines.  There are too many stories to not believe it.  I hope we never find out the contrary (minus regular being a human type things).  Foo Fighters have been one of my favorite bands since the 90's (though the last few albums are only OK).  We must protect him at all costs.

I honestly think a lot of the Pearl Jam hate is bullshit. Pearl Jam was pretty awesome. It's not their fault that spawned some truly terrible attempted copycats.

My first major concert was Pearl Jam. Greensboro Coliseum summer of 1999. It was incredible. They kept coming back for encore after encore ending with Vedder coming back by himself with a ukulele with all the house lights on and the cleaning crew starting to come through. He stopped playing mid-show fairly early on to point out this guy who had been holding his hand up literally the entire show and he'd just realized the guy was holding a tape recorder. He had had security go get the recorder and he sat it right beside the his monitor and poured the guy a cup of his wine. That bootleg is available online and the quality is outstanding for the era. Shortly after this happened, we were smoking a joint and I get a firm tap on my shoulder. I'm just thinking... fuuuuuuuuuuck, best case scenario we're getting tossed outta here, worst case scenario we're going to jail. I hold my breath and slowly turn to see an older lady (well she was "older" to 17 year old me, in reality she was probably early 30s at most and several years younger than current me) sheepishly asking if she could have a puff because she hadn't had any for years. Well, of course! LOL!

Pearl Jam deserves some of the poo they get over Eddie's style.  Its not for everyone.

But if you cant listen to 10 and recognize just how out of this world it was when it dropped youre either a hater or just to young to realize what a game changer it was.

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Pearl Jam deserves some of the poo they get over Eddie's style.  Its not for everyone.

But if you cant listen to 10 and recognize just how out of this world it was when it dropped youre either a hater or just to young to realize what a game changer it was.

I missed the whole Pearl Jam/Nirvana craze when I was younger. Could not get into it.  But I’ve since revisited and the music is incredible.  It’s great to discover something new even if it’s old.  

I mean a lot of grunge copied Neil Yong's 80's stuff too, it's all good.

Pearl Jam's Ten was such an amazing record that they didn't feel they could fit Yellow Ledbetter on it which is like a B side from that album and now a staple at concerts (and a lot of people's favorites).  They are still making good records.  Pearl Jam smartly has evolved over the years.  They couldn't make albums like Ten or Vs forever, as they got older they changed and their fans and they didn't try to recreate the early albums at all.  Not many bands would do that.   Some of their later career stuff has some of my favorites, especially Avacado album for instance.  

I love that era of music though, easily my favorite.  Nirvana may be one my least favorites honestly.  I personally don't like them as much as PJ, AIC, STP, Soundgarden, Blind Melon, etc.  PJ's Ten, STP's Purple, Soundgarden's Superunknown are some of the best front to back rock albums ever.  And AIC's Unplugged album is one of the best live albums, easily.   I also think Nirvana's unplugged is great too.  

• Pie 1

I think jar of flies was AiC’s best album and it was an EP. It’s the kind of album a more mature band puts out decades into their career. It’s mind blowing. They made that album after getting evicted from their apartment while on tour and were sleeping in the studio.  They wrote it in a week. Really special band.

Edited by TheRumGone