• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DARNOLD

CPcavedweller

The problem with Darnold is he looked better in a scheme designed to minimize the damage the QB could do.  That is not all on him, the QB room when Wilks took over and we started running the ball was Darnold, Walker, and Mayfield.  Who could blame them for emphasizing the run first, second, and third?

Pickles might have looked good in that offensive scheme........Well, maybe not, but you get the idea.

Let's face it: Darnold is just the latest in a line of a rather dismal QB history.  Remove Cam and Jake and the last 20 years are not exactly a who's who.  Is he the worst?  No, Pickle's 3:9 TD to interception ratio is pretty hard to beat by mere mortals.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

46 minutes ago, CRA said:

Sam Darnold getting better. 

2nd worst QB comp % of his career

2nd lowest passing yards per game 

highest fumble rate of his career per game. 

Wait, are you including the New Orleans game in that?  Because I read on this here board that you can't count that game because everybody was going through the motions.  And when you pull that game out, his numbers prove he is decent.

Of course, the Saints were not exactly showing the initiative of the 75 Steelers or 89 Niners in that game, either, but that does not count I guess.

In other words, when you remove the data from the bad performances, what you are left with is decent numbers. 

I swear, people are going to hurt themselves trying to come up with creative ways to show Darnold is not what the five years' worth of data and scouting say he is.

I don't wish Darnold any ill will.  I'm fine with him catching on somewhere.......somewhere else.  I just don't see what he brings to the current table, other than he knows what the layout of the locker room, what color or uniforms are, and where the practice facility is.  Different offense, different coaches, and he is not under contract so we don't lose a dime not having him around. 

I certainly don't want him trying to mentor young QBs.  What's he going to say, watch what I do under pressure and do the opposite?

It's no wonder we are the Southeastern HQ for the Home for Wayward Quarterbacks.  In some demented sense, we like it that way.

• Pie 1

Yeah I guess I was triggered. By the hate.
The irrational judgement that works like: our coaching staff is So Great. They can coach up any QB … as long as it is one we trade all our picks for. Only those quarterbacks though 

Talk about another and the coaching means poo. We have posters making up that Darnold doesn’t care about getting better because….. he didn’t change his routine? It is ridiculous. Just, anything to demean the guy and anyone that says they see something in him right along with him. 

And Gase, Peyton Manning? Whoever threw it up that Gase was good because….. well who do you really think ran that show? Go ahead, say Peyton Manning at that point was successful because of Gase.  It will make you feel better. 

21 minutes ago, stratocatter said:

Yeah I guess I was triggered. By the hate.
The irrational judgement that works like: our coaching staff is So Great. They can coach up any QB … as long as it is one we trade all our picks for. Only those quarterbacks though 

Talk about another and the coaching means poo. We have posters making up that Darnold doesn’t care about getting better because….. he didn’t change his routine? It is ridiculous. Just, anything to demean the guy and anyone that says they see something in him right along with him. 

And Gase, Peyton Manning? Whoever threw it up that Gase was good because….. well who do you really think ran that show? Go ahead, say Peyton Manning at that point was successful because of Gase.  It will make you feel better. 

I mentioned Gase/Manning.  Had nothing to do with Gase being good or not.  That's missing the point. 

The point I was making, NFL coaching is largely a push.  It's a talent at key positions league.  Pending a certain level of competency is meet. There are outliers on both ends obviously.   But a super talented QB is simply going to be that.   Gase wouldn't of prevented Mahomes from being Mahomes.   Just like he could stop Peyton form having the best season in a hall of fame career.  Now can the coach be the difference between a Super Bowl? Sure.  Consistency year after year? Sure.  But standard NFL coaching....isn't going to stop talent from showing. 

Sam Darnold just isn't good at this level.   It's not a coaching issue holding him back.  Sam's issues have always been in his DNA as a QB.   You can trace them all back to college. 

• Pie 1

On 3/10/2023 at 1:48 PM, Sgt Schultz said:

The problem with Darnold is he looked better in a scheme designed to minimize the damage the QB could do.  That is not all on him, the QB room when Wilks took over and we started running the ball was Darnold, Walker, and Mayfield.  Who could blame them for emphasizing the run first, second, and third?

Pickles might have looked good in that offensive scheme........Well, maybe not, but you get the idea.

Let's face it: Darnold is just the latest in a line of a rather dismal QB history.  Remove Cam and Jake and the last 20 years are not exactly a who's who.  Is he the worst?  No, Pickle's 3:9 TD to interception ratio is pretty hard to beat by mere mortals.

I’ll make a not quite full throated endorsement of Beurlein.  He was decent.  YMMV