• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Combine Drills: Quarterback Day

Mr. Scot

Just now, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Truth: we have a Gators fan who knows all about AR and how his poor team hurt his performance.

Lies: we have a Wildcats fan who knows all about Levis and how his poor team hurt his performance.

Never change, Huddle. And no, I don't want Levis. It's just funny.

I encourage everyone to watch as many games as possible of prospects they like.

Just type "prospect name vs" into Google or YouTube and you'll usually find cutups of every snap from individual games.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

I'm confused as to how Anthony Richardson performing well at the combine changes anything. Did anyone not know he was super athletic and big? Him being that crazy of a physical specimen and still not being that great of a college football player isn't alarming to anyone?

I might be the only one that feels this way but I don't actually get that impressed when he runs. He's talented and the athleticism is clearly there but he didn't seem to be consistently running through or around people. Every once in a while he'd make a straight up insane play (his highlights are crazy), but I watched half of their games and was just kinda underwhelmed the entire time. Taking him at #9 and trying to coach him makes a lot of sense but trading up for him seems like the risk is substantially greater than the reward imo

Edited by CamTheMan
  • Pie 6
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Allen ran 4.76 and Mahomes 4.8. That's not Michael Vick but that's not terrible for a QB.

True, but AR is not going to be running every single play. He's fast ... neat. That means next to nothing in the grand scheme of things. Maybe AR should be a TE. Or hell ... let's put the fastest WRs and DBs in at QB.

We need to see how AR throws on a throw by throw basis, under pressure, how his footwork is, and how well he can play in the pocket. If he knocks all that out of the park ... he's the man. If not, he's just a freak of nature and you need more than that as a QB.

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

If Akili Smith don’t give you pause I don’t know what will. AR had a 53% completion percentage in college. That is awful. I get the hope for the upside, but there’s some very serious concerns with him as a QB.

Smith had the rep for being a complete dumbass way before the draft and was legendary about not doing film study or grasping the offense.  Steinberg at the time did a masterful job changing the narrative but once he got to cincy the truth came out

5 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

True, but AR is not going to be running every single play. He's fast ... neat. That means next to nothing in the grand scheme of things. Maybe AR should be a TE. Or hell ... let's put the fastest WRs and DBs in at QB.

We need to see how AR throws on a throw by throw basis, under pressure, how his footwork is, and how well he can play in the pocket. If he knocks all that out of the park ... he's the man. If not, he's just a freak of nature and you need more than that as a QB.

https://mfootballanalytics.com/2023/02/27/anthony-richardson-review/

Sack Avoidance and Pocket Movement

One of my favorite things about Anthony Richardson is how he doesn’t take sacks and moves well in the pocket. His 9.2% pressure to sack rate (PFF) is elite level of sack avoidance. As we can see in the graph below, pressure to sack rate stays pretty stable from college to the pros so it is fair to assume Richardson will have great sack avoidance in the NFL too. 

• Pie 2

AR proved today what everybody thought earlier..

Raw ball of clay that needs time to develop.. If you draft him you need a bridge QB and a plan to sit and develop him.. If done right you might have a top 5 QB in the league.. But there is a if…..

11 minutes ago, CamTheMan said:

I'm confused as to how Anthony Richardson performing well at the combine changes anything. Did anyone not know he was super athletic and big? Him being that crazy of a physical specimen and still not being that great of a college football player isn't alarming to anyone?

I might be the only one that feels this way but I don't actually get that impressed when he runs. He's talented and the athleticism is clearly there but he didn't seem to be consistently running through or around people. Every once in a while he'd make a straight up insane play (his highlights are crazy), but I watched half of their games and was just kinda underwhelmed the entire time. Taking him at #9 and trying to coach him makes a lot of sense but trading up for him seems like the risk is substantially greater than the reward imo

I agree with you on him as a runner. He's obviously a serious running threat but he doesn't have the vision, moves, or raw power as a runner that Cam had.

• Flames 1