• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New trade down theory coming out of League circles

Growl

1 minute ago, Growl said:

this would effectively be a three team trade, if Chicago and Houston agreed to a deal there would already be a handshake agreement in place for a pick swap of 2 and 9.

We couldn’t “screw them over,” the deals would be announced likely one after the other

I wonder if the Texans would tell the panthers who they are picking.

2 minutes ago, Growl said:

Houston caring enough about having a specific guy is the biggest obstacle here, but there is a bit of motivation for them do so:

scewing Indy over.

they take a guy, we take a guy, colts get the scraps

Yup, that's kind of why I think if it gets announced it ends up a three team deal. Houston can totally block Indy out and the Bears can lock in the value they need.

Just refreshed and see you already posted that. I concur.

Edited by stan786

Just now, TLGPanthersFan said:

Then they do the exact opposite. But something tells me the Panthers wouldn’t be too unhappy to get Young if the Texans flip flopped. 

if I’m being honest I’ve got a hunch the Panthers like young more anyways

fitterer was in on the Wilson draft

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

I do not believe Fitterer would be down for being played like that. They either trade the 1st pick to us or the Panthers try to make a deal with someone else, if they haven't already. 

played? 
it’s literally a win/win/win for all three teams

bears maximize the value of their pick, Houston secures their top guy for a modest pick toss and blocks a division rival out of a top guy, panthers still get a top 2 prospect with the compensation being a token bit smaller

its the ideal scenario unless you believe there’s only one QB worth taking and the team clearly doesn’t feel that way

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I do not believe Fitterer would be down for being played like that. They either trade the 1st pick to us or the Panthers try to make a deal with someone else, if they haven't already. 

Would depend on if he's in on the game and confident they get their guy at 2 or not. I don't think he's just going to keep his offer the same if they move to 2 and say "Now lets trade". But if it knocks the price down a bit for us and lets us get one of our guys or our guy it could be feasible. 

Really depends on our board and what we think the Texans board looks like.

Just now, stan786 said:

Would depend on if he's in on the game and confident they get their guy at 2 or not. I don't think he's just going to keep his offer the same if they move to 2 and say "Now lets trade". But if it knocks the price down a bit for us and lets us get one of our guys or our guy it could be feasible. 

Really depends on our board and what we think the Texans board looks like.

The Panthers are not going to know what other teams boards look like. They will not chance missing out on who they want just to let the Bears profit from using them.  The Panthers have contingencies in place for scenarios just like this. 

All depends on what Houston is willing to give up and if Carolina is still willing to send the house for #2

Although if Carolina doesn’t trade up to 2 someone else will

It is possible Carolina would send more to go from 9 to 1 than Chicago would receive trading down twice with other teams but of course that would all depend on how Chicago values each teams picks 

Houston and Indy may not want to part with future 1’s to each move up 1-2 spots. Atlanta might though. Carolina absolutely would. So if Poles wants those 2024 and 2025 1st rounders the only way to guarantee that may be dealing with Carolina 

9 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

The Panthers are not going to know what other teams boards look like. They will not chance missing out on who they want just to let the Bears profit from using them.  The Panthers have contingencies in place for scenarios just like this. 

They won’t know what other teams boards look like but they’ll know what theirs looks like and I assume if we end up comfortable enough to sit at 2, we’ll have our pulse on what’s going to happen enough to be comfortable we get someone we value.

I would guess we go to 1 as well but again if we have two QBs high on our board and the cost difference between 2 and 1 is enough it could make sense to save some value and sit at 2 in this scenario.

Teams don’t share draft boards but GMs will readily admit they have a good feeling what certain teams are doing and it’s something Fitt has been good at in the past with the relationships he’s built.

Its all part of the puzzle.