• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's talk about the Will Levis hate

GOAT

Adding more context - I watched his combine interview - you can tell ALOT from an interview that everyone seems to ignore.  All the skill in the world is useless if their Leadership and Maturity are off.  

In his interview he said alot that I liked - best thing was when asked what he is working on he was very specific.  He said he knew he needed to work on his lower half - not his running as much as footwork and mobility when passing.  He said he was watching tape on Burrow and trying to emulate how he gets his lower half set so his upper half is consistent.

Now I know that doesn't mean much by itself, but that is an outstanding answer.  It shows a humble, self-aware guy working on the little things to focus on technique...not the "I know what I can do" or "just picking up the new system and learn everything I can" guys who just say stuff at interviews to get through.  That is a Leader's answer....a mature answer.  The best QB's are the ones who can tell you those details.

Skill has to be there too....but for a combine answer that was fantastic

• Beer 2

Okay maybe it's more so just the people on twitter that hate on Levis. The people in this thread seem positive about the pros and cons.

This dude on twitter is insufferable, he tweets about Levis every few minutes. Has Hooker ranked above him. It's really weird but I also know deep down what his shtick is.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

28 minutes ago, Captroop said:

His combine performance reminded me of Zach Wilson.

I wouldn't move up a spot to get him. I'd be okay drafting him at 9. I'd be ecstatic trading back and getting him. And I think he will bust in the NFL.

23 minutes ago, stan786 said:

Back in my day Zach Wilson was Kyle Boller!

He reminds me way more of Brett Favre than he does Zach Wilson.

2 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Reminds me more of a Poor man’s Matt Stafford

Stafford was a very high production thrower.

Levis seems more like a big balled, fireball throwing gunslinger type.

You can win with that type of player. You can also lose badly.

Edited by Mr. Scot

4 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Okay maybe it's more so just the people on twitter that hate on Levis. The people in this thread seem positive about the pros and cons.

This dude on twitter is insufferable, he tweets about Levis every few minutes. Has Hooker ranked above him. It's really weird but I also know deep down what his shtick is.

I’ll say the majority of Draft Twitter/Reddit seems to really dislike him.  A lot of this probably has to do with his hype coming into the year vs what he put on tape this Season. People generally watch and form strong opinions on small sample sizes especially if it confirms priors.

I think a lot of people in here seem to have given him a bit deeper of a dive and it’s nice.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Stafford was a very high production thrower.

Levis seems more like a big balled, fireball throwing gunslinger type.

You can win with that type of player. You can also lose badly.

Stafford in college was a lit more of a live arm gunslinger tbh. Really him and Levis have very similar looking college stats. I think Levis had a better completion % and a lower average yard per attempt. 

1 minute ago, stan786 said:

Stafford in college was a lit more of a live arm gunslinger tbh. Really him and Levis have very similar looking college stats. I think Levis had a better completion % and a lower average yard per attempt. 

I tend to prefer more accurate types.

Bryce Young fits damn near everything that I would want in a quarterback, but Lord have mercy that frame 😳

CJ Stroud has referred to himself as "a ball placement machine" which is something I really like the sound of in the kind of offense were likely to be running.

Levis and Richardson both strike me as guys who you take based on their physical traits and then try to work on refining their actual quarterback skills.

Not a fan of that approach at all, but given some of the things I've heard Scott Fitterer say lately, I acknowledge that's a possibility for us with Levis.

Just have to hope that the coaching staff is as good as we believe they are.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, stan786 said:

Stafford had a great team around him as well.

1 hour ago, GOAT said:

Is he raw?

Levis played 38 games over 4 years in college and started the last 2 of those. He shouldn't be considered raw at this point. Young played in 34 games over 3 years in college, starting 2 of those and isn't considered raw. Stroud played 26 games over 3 years in college starting 2 of those and isn't considered raw. Richardson played 22 games over 3 years in college starting 1 of those and is considered raw.

1 hour ago, GOAT said:

People ranking prospects like AR above him. AR is a huge project too with inconsistent tape, playing with a way better supporting cast.

AR is younger and the better athlete. He also made more "wow" plays in college than Levis did. If teams think they can fix any mechanical issues AR has, then they will view him as the better prospect.

1 hour ago, GOAT said:

Might want to start actually watching this guys tape rather than hating on him for whatever weird reason, or because you have some draft crush on another prospect like AR

I don't hate Levis, I just don't think he's a good QB. I watched some of his games this past season. He never stepped up nor played well. His decision making was bad and he really reminded me of Darnold.

I've said all last season, if I was a GM and had the choice between AR and WL, I'd take the chance on AR since he's younger and has more upside being the better athlete. That said, the most complete QB in the draft is the smallest guy, Young, and he's long been my preference despite the size concerns some have. Give me a guy that can just play the game at a high level over someone that has ideal measurables but isn't very good at the game.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

One thing to note is the connection between Levis’ head coach and our new OC. 
Liam Coen, the man who recruited Levis from Penn St. and coached him at UK was the Rams OC under McVay while Thomas Brown was the Asst. Head coach/TE coach.

It seems like all of our hires were strategic and should provide us some valuable insight during scouting and evals.

Lets Go GIF by The Roku Channel

Just now, Mills said:

One thing to note is the connection between Levis’ head coach and our new OC. 
Liam Coen, the man who recruited Levis from Penn St. and coached him at UK was the Rams OC under McVay while Thomas Brown was the Asst. Head coach/TE coach.

It seems like all of our hires were strategic and should provide us some valuable insight during scouting and evals.

The connections between Levis and our current staff are definitely something you have to pay attention to.