• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Bryce Young Thread

Jaxel

With Stroud dominating the conversation, I wanted to start a topic for Bryce Young. Fans of him, sell us on why he is the better choice than Stroud, and what makes you think he will hold up.

I saw some pretty nasty hits when he played Tennessee, but he held up, even when his body got ragdolled. He will need to learn to slide and be smart about the shots he takes. 

His processing is ridiculous, I love that about him. He can read a defense, manipulate it and beat any type. I think accuracy and processing are the most important tools and he has them.

I'll type more later, but doing this on a phone is annoying, so just wanted to start the convo.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

I think you've pretty much covered the points - he's clearly the best QB in this Draft.

It's whether you're willing to risk selecting him knowing that his size makes him a huge outlier to succeed in the NFL. (I can only imagine the questions you'd have to field if / when he got hurt)

If you're looking beyond his size my only other real nit-pick is that he has a 'good enough' arm, but by no means is it elite. 

• Pie 3

If he was 6'3" 220 he'd probably be considered a Luck/Lawrence caliber no brainer type #1 overall prospect.  But he's not. He's not even close. Kyler Murray went #1 overall at similar size but Murray is also one of the fastest guys on the field every time he suits up. That's not Bryce Young. Murray also LOOKS like he's 200+ pounds. He's built like a RB. He's a solid dude. Young's 204 pound weigh in was honestly shocking. The guy looks like he's 180 pounds at MOST. If you just saw him walking in and had no clue who he was, you'd be thinking okay... that dude is either a slot WR or nickelback or he's a kicker or a punter. That's the only spots this dude can possibly play.

• Pie 1

Honestly I think the choice between Stroud and Young will go to who fits better under Reich’s system. In my opinion, that’s Stroud as he has elite ball placement especially on intermediate routes. On the other hand Bryce young’s biggest strength in my opinion is his play extension ala Russ and Mahomes, he can turn a dead play into positive yardage consistently. He is such a great out of structure player, I love both of them as prospects. Ima trust our A tier coaching staff on this pick.

• Pie 9

Ran an NFL offense at Bama, accuracy, pre-snap reads, processing, defense manipulation, throws with anticipation, pocket awareness, moves well in pocket and out of pocket, off-script playmaking. If only the guy had traditional QB size he would be graded really really high. In fact, there would have been no trade up to #1 if he was 6'3" 215

• Pie 4

As much as I hate to say it size does matter for QB, but it doesn’t determine who’s better. Obviously you want the bigger guy normally, but at what point is height and weight more important than real QB intangibles. I’m just happy I haven’t seen anyone say we should take AR-15 over Young because he is bigger and faster. There is so much more to the QB position then your height and speed.

1 minute ago, shaq said:

As much as I hate to say it size does matter for QB, but it doesn’t determine who’s better. Obviously you want the bigger guy normally, but at what point is height and weight more important than real QB intangibles. I’m just happy I haven’t seen anyone say we should take AR-15 over Young because he is bigger and faster. There is so much more to the QB position then your height and speed.

You've pretty much stated why I didn't want to trade up to #1.

I don't think there's a clear-cut franchise QB in this Draft. You're as likely to hit on Richardson as you are Young or Stroud - they all have flaws. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

You've pretty much stated why I didn't want to trade up to #1.

I don't think there's a clear-cut franchise QB in this Draft. You're as likely to hit on Richardson as you are Young or Stroud - they all have flaws. 

I hear you, but I genuinely see Young and Stroud in a whole other tier than Richardson. With Young and Stroud you’re talking about elite and I mean elite production in college, combined with a great combination of intangibles for each of them. Both have their elite trait, ball placement for Stroud and Play extension for Young. Versus Richardson who has 1 year of starting with eh results, as talented as he is why didn’t that translate to the college level, and why would it instead translate to the pros? Also, can’t miss prospects are never able to be traded for like it’s literally impossible to trade up for a Manning or a Lawrence whoever has the #1 pick is taking that guy. These guys have some flaws but they each have a real shot to be franchise QBS.

Edited by shaq
  • Pie 3

4 minutes ago, shaq said:

I keep trying to talk myself out of Bryce Young but the only negative thing I can think of is just his size. I feel so shortsighted,  Young is so mf talented.

I've tried to do the same, but just can't. Dude oozes with talent, and has shown many instances of stepping up in late game situations, which is also critical in the NFL

• Pie 2