• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why Bryce young will be the pick and we should be excited

RIPTreyLance

I think essentially it'll come down to two factors: 

1) how does the QB fit into Reich's offence (apparently he likes tall, accurate, pocket passers)

2) what is your projection for the QB? The Draft is about the next 5-10 years, not this season

For Young I wonder if he's maxed out in College. He's the best QB right now, but is he going to be the best QB in 3 years time with his physical limitations?

1 minute ago, OldhamA said:

Some of them are, yes.

The NFL is recruiting class after recruiting class of College All-Stars - a decade's worth infact.

Look at Georgia’s D-line compared to ours, basically the same over the last 3 years. Young hasn’t had injury problems but in the SEC at his size so I don’t see how anybody can say he’ll have injury issues in the NFL. Tua had injuries in college, so that makes sense. 

• Pie 1

51 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

So you are saying the Young played at 170 lbs?  That would mean that he gained 34 lbs between early January and early March.

I guess the better question is this:  Where is the line (weight) that determines a player is too small to play QB in the NFL? 

I literally do not know, but I can say that QBs are babied now, protected like the Pope at a biker convention.  Since the QB started getting protected more, the smaller QBs have emerged.  The game has changed as well.  So if you teach a player to slide and check down quicky (which he can do) and throw it out of bounds, can you prolong his career?  Russell Wilson did that better than anyone, and he missed 4 games in 11 seasons in Seattle.  

Young needs to add size--muscle weight and there seems to be room for it.  

I prefer Stroud, but if we go with Young, I know we are getting a solid, smart, QB. 

They reckon he played at 185lbs in College, but I could see a lower number. 

As for putting on that much weight between January and March - a lot of it will be water weight.

Just now, SazmoRanger said:

Look at Georgia’s D-line compared to ours, basically the same over the last 3 years. Young hasn’t had injury problems but in the SEC at his size so I don’t see how anybody can say he’ll have injury issues in the NFL. Tua had injuries in college, so that makes sense. 

Bama played Georgia twice in 21' but not at all last season.  It doesn't matter.  Young is a baller and he'll probably be a good quarterback. 

2 minutes ago, SazmoRanger said:

Young hasn’t had injury problems but in the SEC

Well, actually he was knocked out of the Arkansas game and then missed the following game but he's a tough kid that isn't afraid to mix it up.  A criticism of Stroud by the OSU faithful was that he didn't want to run, although I think he was told to avoid doing so by Day.

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, RIPTreyLance said:

Think about this. Fitterer came from Seattle where he had Russell Wilson. He’s quite undersized and had an amazing Seattle career. If rumor is true Tepper likes Bryce Young as well, it just makes sense he will be the guy especially if he shows out at his pro day. The size thing. Y’all are overthinking it. 

and why should we be excited? A Russell Wilson in his prime was fun to watch and Bryce young is a lot like him in my opinion. Our version of him could be even better. That will be must watch football. Let’s be honest all of you would take Prime Russell right now… 

People are gonna call me crazy but hey. Check my last posts. I always get poo’d and yet I’m always right. I said last YEAR WE SHOULD TRADE CMC AND DJ MOORE for the highest capital possible because we just weren’t gonna get it done with them due to other circumstances. Called that. *shrugs* 

Bryce young will be the pick. 

We have no clue who the pick is yet. This just another opinion of some of the posters here nothing more of who they think he will be the pick.

Everyone keeps talking about wilson and murray in refence to young. 

Both of them are THICC compared to stick young. Hes not only short, but small. He does his best and has made up for being short and small. Just a rule about NFL- 6 and above in height and above 200 LBs or you need to be special(young maybe, odds are against him). Even the punters, kickers, and long snappers are above 6' and 200 LBs. Just the way of the land. Do not believe his 204 LBs combine number is legit, I'd only take that if he ran and did all the other drills........but he didnt want to vomit 8 gallons of water in front everyone. 

Is young the exception? toooo rich to use the 1st overall to find out...

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 2

Seattle has a history of crushing the draft and finding HOF value in every round.

Carroll has also proved he is a consistent coach that can make anyone work at QB.

It's a copy cat league, but just because our GM worked for that franchise doesn't mean we should try to draft a short player and make him Russell Wilson.

Russell Wilson looks like Jamarcus Russell on the Broncos.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, FakePlasticTrees said:

Wilson is 220 pounds if not more. Young's playing weight was 185 pounds.

You are adding 5+ pounds to Wilson at age 30 and comparing him to a rookie coming out of college.  At Wilson's combine, he was 204.  You have to give Bryce the same opportunity to add weight.  Wilson is 215, according to the NFL site.  However, I do not see Bryce carrying that much weight.  I am guessing he needs to be at about 205-210, and it may take a year or so to get there adding muscle.

image.thumb.png.0473876af0fc187f6d0a3d1a6a4f10cd.png

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

You are adding 5+ pounds to Wilson at age 30 and comparing him to a rookie coming out of college.  At Wilson's combine, he was 204.  You have to give Bryce the same opportunity to add weight.  Wilson is 215, according to the NFL site.  However, I do not see Bryce carrying that much weight.  I am guessing he needs to be at about 205-210, and it may take a year or so to get there adding muscle.

image.thumb.png.0473876af0fc187f6d0a3d1a6a4f10cd.png

Wilson also worked out and threw at the combine.   Wake me up when young looks like this

https://www.google.com/search?q=russell+wilson+combine&client=safari&hl=en-us&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiYyOeK9OX9AhVRD1kFHcQdBBoQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1112&bih=731&dpr=2

1 hour ago, Buckeye Homer said:

Well, actually he was knocked out of the Arkansas game and then missed the following game but he's a tough kid that isn't afraid to mix it up.  A criticism of Stroud by the OSU faithful was that he didn't want to run, although I think he was told to avoid doing so by Day.

I think he needs to run when he sees green grass and all breaks down, which is different than the designed runs some teams are employing.  Josh Allen, for example, seems to enjoy running and being aggressive.  it has led to fumbles and might even decrease the length of his career (see Newton, Cam).  Stroud can do much more damage with is perfect timing and accuracy.  To me, Day was right--no need to run him.  Punt or get it the next play.

For the record, I am arguing for Young only as an exercise.  I want Stroud, but to see the entire picture, you have to be able to objectively analyze both sides.  (We are OSU fans--my wife's family is from Columbus and OSU graduates--so I try to be objective--but Stroud is the safe pick--and he is, in my opinion, the most likely to have a long, successful career.)

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

The combine measures a lot of things, but processing speed is not one of them.  You can't cherry pick your points--we are talking about different players with different strengths and different weaknesses. 

Again, I prefer Stroud, but I make arguments for Young to demonstrate objectivity.  Maybe it is time to wake up.😴  Kidding--but you have to look at the complete player--compare Young's college film to Russell's.  I'd take Young.