• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Keep this in mind Stroud vs Young...

CamWhoaaCam

Stroud played with a generational WR Marvin Harrison Jr.

Young WR's were probably the weakest core of WR's in the last 10 years at Alabama.

Young can probably do more with a weaker supporting cast of WR's. He extends plays and buys his WR's time to get open. His ability to extend plays is severely underrated. People need to consider this before we rush to conclusions. Im sure the coaching staff has brought this up when watchig film.

Who you play with matters. Young was great even with lesser talented WR's. 

This is coming from a Stroud fan btw. I call it like I see it. We have to be fair to both QB's.

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, Hoenheim said:

That wr argument is bull after burrow did what he did. 

Burrow had the greatest season in college football history.

You can't use Burrow as the example for something we won't see again for a long time.

Jefferson also did pretty damn well without Burrow. Elite WR's are a thing and a QB doesn't make them. 

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Burrow had the greatest season in college football history.

You can't use Burrow as the example for something we won't see again for a long time.

Jefferson also did pretty damn well without Burrow. Elite WR's are a thing and a QB doesn't make them. 

So was Peyton Manning only who he was because he had Harrison and Wayne?

I hate when people make the argument that WRs make the QB.

What about Montana without Rice?

• Pie 1
  • Poo 3

13 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

So was Peyton Manning only who he was because he had Harrison and Wayne?

I hate when people make the argument that WRs make the QB.

What about Montana without Rice?

My goodness your reading comprehension skills suck.

Who said the WR's make the QB?

I said having elite WR's definitely helps a QB. Read my man.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

21 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

And without Stroud, maybe some of those WRs from the last few years wouldn't have had a chance to shine and breakout, it can play both ways.

Sure didn't hurt Burrow in the NFL having played with Jefferson and Chase in college.

Garrett Wilson was rookie of the year with Zach Wilson and Mike White. Chris Olave was like third in OROY voting with our current geriatric backup and Jameis Winston. I’m sure whatever the powerhouse of OSU put out at QB would’ve been fine. This is my main issue with Stroud, and is it “fair” ? No. It’s a hypothetical. Just like Burrow as well. He’s media goated already, rightfully so, but what does he look like with a Bears, Panthers, Giants, Redskins, Patriots level WR core?

We’ll probably never know because they’ve supplemented him with Chase, Higgins, and Boyd almost immediately. I LOVE the solidness and touch on Strouds passes. It looks effortless. But he has had so much less adversity than Young has, and once again, that’s no one’s fault. OSU is the offensive powerhouse in the nation, it’s not even a question. UGA runs the defense. Alabama is KINDA on that downward trend, as great as the program is.

Young played with Jameson Williams and Metchie and won a heisman. Next year, his leading receiver was his running back (albeit Gibbs is pretty fun and a qbs friend). Hes had pretty bad OL play in his tenure at ALA too (although Neal was obviously solid).

Stroud guys- I totally totally understand why he’s the leading candidate in your eyes and any argument won’t change that. But I do challenge you to realize that playing with Garrett, Olave, JSN one year, followed by MHJR and Egbuka the next. Being behind P. Johnson, Dawand, and Wypler is just not a situation that a guy like Stroud (very talented Qb) will struggle with. We won’t be able to “Joe Burrow” - Stroud with Marvin Harrison, unless we don’t want a first round pick until 2030. 

My argument has never been “Stroud sucks , I don’t like him” I just don’t really really know how battle tested he is, without having an nfl offense next to him in college. I know I’m gonna get flak for this, especially by the Sam Mills avatar guy. But we do bring up Youngs size 10/10 threads. I think it’s only fair to bring up Strouds “controversy that isn’t his fault” without triggering the fanbase.

I absolutely do agree OP, both guys offer things to be excited about obviously while both having concerning factors.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

35 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

The WR thing is overblown, just like saying he only threw to open recievers

See this is the stuff I have issues with. The WR thing isn’t overblown. It’s an actual factor. Fields went 67-9 in college and is 24-21 in the nfl (and I’m plenty aware that these things don’t directly correlate) but it’s SUCH a big gap. How does Fields look on sf with kittle, deebo, aiyuk? Heck, how would he have looked with our group when we had Dj and Cmc. Probably a LOT better than 24/21. Fields is getting so much hype NOW because he’s got the guy that we had for 4 years that the media refused to acknowledge. The things around you matter.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Eric4280 said:

Garrett Wilson was rookie of the year with Zach Wilson and Mike White. Chris Olave was like third in OROY voting with our current geriatric backup and Jameis Winston. I’m sure whatever the powerhouse of OSU put out at QB would’ve been fine. This is my main issue with Stroud, and is it “fair” ? No. It’s a hypothetical. Just like Burrow as well. He’s media goated already, rightfully so, but what does he look like with a Bears, Panthers, Giants, Redskins, Patriots level WR core?

We’ll probably never know because they’ve supplemented him with Chase, Higgins, and Boyd almost immediately. I LOVE the solidness and touch on Strouds passes. It looks effortless. But he has had so much less adversity than Young has, and once again, that’s no one’s fault. OSU is the offensive powerhouse in the nation, it’s not even a question. UGA runs the defense. Alabama is KINDA on that downward trend, as great as the program is.

Young played with Jameson Williams and Metchie and won a heisman. Next year, his leading receiver was his running back (albeit Gibbs is pretty fun and a qbs friend). Hes had pretty bad OL play in his tenure at ALA too (although Neal was obviously solid).

Stroud guys- I totally totally understand why he’s the leading candidate in your eyes and any argument won’t change that. But I do challenge you to realize that playing with Garrett, Olave, JSN one year, followed by MHJR and Egbuka the next. Being behind P. Johnson, Dawand, and Wypler is just not a situation that a guy like Stroud (very talented Qb) will struggle with. We won’t be able to “Joe Burrow” - Stroud with Marvin Harrison, unless we don’t want a first round pick until 2030. 

My argument has never been “Stroud sucks , I don’t like him” I just don’t really really know how battle tested he is, without having an nfl offense next to him in college. I know I’m gonna get flak for this, especially by the Sam Mills avatar guy. But we do bring up Youngs size 10/10 threads. I think it’s only fair to bring up Strouds “controversy that isn’t his fault” without triggering the fanbase.

I absolutely do agree OP, both guys offer things to be excited about obviously while both having concerning factors.

Okay, fair

But that's also why Stroud is the guy in my mind.

The argument against Young has never been about his skill or ability, I'll be the first to admit that if he can stay healthy for a dozen years, he very well could be a HOFer.  I just don't think that seems likely to me with how he is built.

The biggest argument against Stroud is that we just haven't seen him without elite WRs, but he has rave reviews in all other aspects of his game.

In that scenario, I'm going with the guy that I don't see many/any flaws with outside of not having played with non-elite WRs in college over the guy I have serious durability concerns with.

Also, I've said many times that what we gave up to move to #1 plays into that thinking for me.  Which I 100% think should factor in for the team as well, you gave up a boatload of assets to get here, with two guys who both rank so closely together like this, I'm going with the one without the bigger red flag of the two.

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

My goodness your reading comprehension skills suck.

Who said the WR's make the QB?

I said having elite WR's definitely helps a QB. Read my man.

You can still be a Stroud guy and get bashed for offering a critique. It’s amazing. Nowhere do you see the Young guys acknowledging that he’s absolutely perfect and the second coming. He’s got flaws. His size is a built in flaw for obvious reasons(which is obviously a big one) , the shoulder thing does make me a tiny bit eh, some adjustments to the nfl MAY be tough for him. 

Once you say one thing about Stroud, it’s like the floodgates open. It’s pretty funny with that whole Burrow thing too. Jefferson wasn’t supposed to be what he is now. He was supposed to be a sure handed solid receiver. If he were anything close to what he is now, coming out, he obviously goes before games named Jalen Raegor. Every situation is different with every single player and not every factor applies. 

“Marvin Harrison and Wayne made Peyton by that logic”. No, that’s not how this works. I think Garrett Wilson and Olave looking questionably better as pros vs college (questionable, don’t come at me) is a LITTLE alarming considering the fact that they had bottom 5-7 QB play and still did what they did. I’m not gonna doubt Stroud is a great ball placer and has so much arm strength. But the nfl is a lot messier and less clean cut. I’ve yet to see him play in a real mess.

• Pie 1