• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breer's latest: Two QB tiers

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, Carolina Disaster said:

He definitely is no Vick but he is a better athlete than he gets credit for.  He wasn't asked to run at OSU.  He didn't need to until the Georgia game.  He isn't going to blow the doors off like Vick, Lamar, etc but he is able to extend plays when needed.  

To be fair, that describes a pretty good number of quarterbacks in the league right now.

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Is Stroud really that great an athlete though?

Based on what I've seen, I don't really think anybody is mistaking him for Michael Vick 😕

Great?  No.  Good?  Yes.

Stroud gets compared to Joe Burrow, largely for his throwing.  I also think he should get some Herbert comparisons as well.  Those guys are PLENTY good enough to lead this team from an athletic perspective.

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, BrianS said:

Great?  No.  Good?  Yes.

Stroud gets compared to Joe Burrow, largely for his throwing.  I also think he should get some Herbert comparisons as well.  Those guys are PLENTY good enough to lead this team from an athletic perspective.

Herbert? No. Herbert has one of the very best arms in the league and is significantly bigger to boot. I really don't see much of a physical comparison between Herbert and Stroud.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

To be fair, that describes a pretty good number of quarterbacks in the league right now.

I'd put him right outside of the top "Athletes" at QB in the NFL right now.  Mahommes, Hurts, Allen, Lawrence, Tua, Jackson, Fields, Murray, Wilson and Watson are all better pure athletes than CJ. 

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Herbert? No. Herbert has one of the very best arms in the league and is significantly bigger to boot. I really don't see much of a physical comparison between Herbert and Stroud.

Herbert threw 55mph at the combine, Stroud threw 59mph. Watch Stroud throw 65 yard bombs effortlessly at the combine, Herbert was struggling to get it 60 yards at his. I like Herbert as well, I was kinda surprised when I went back and watched 

• Pie 5

3 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Herbert threw 55mph at the combine, Stroud threw 59mph. Watch Stroud throw 65 yard bombs effortlessly at the combine, Herbert was struggling to get it 60 yards at his. I like Herbert as well, I was kinda surprised when I went back and watched 

The difference is clear in the games. I don't really care what they throw at the combine. I mean, Will Grier threw 58mph. Jared Goff threw 58mph. Mahomes only threw 55mph. Cam only threw 56mph. Watch the games and Mahomes and Cam obviously deliver a ball with a lot more velocity during actual football games than Grier and Goff do.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The difference is clear in the games. I don't really care what they throw at the combine. I mean, Will Grier threw 58mph. Jared Goff threw 58mph. Mahomes only threw 55mph. Cam only threw 56mph. Watch the games and Mahomes and Cam obviously deliver a ball with a lot more velocity during actual football games than Grier and Goff do.

The combine doesn't tell the whole story obviously but it can be a piece of the puzzle. It would be nice to at least have some of this information to reference for the other quarterback we are heavily considering for the first pick. But Bryce didn't throw at the combine and didn't even weigh in at his own proday. Didn't he go 1-5 throwing deep last week?

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

True I just think Strouds throwing motion is so effortless his power is overlooked when watching normal game tape. That's a huge advantage when throwing in the pocket with pressure in your face

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

True I just think Strouds throwing motion is so effortless his power is overlooked when watching normal game tape. That's a huge advantage when throwing in the pocket with pressure in your face

Don't get me wrong. I think he has a good NFL arm, I just don't think he's in that Allen/Mahomes/Herbert leauge. I think he's more like Derek Carr-ish in the arm department which still means borderline top 10 type arm. More than enough.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2