• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anthony Richardson Pro Day

OldhamA

36 minutes ago, toldozer said:

You think Richardson is throwing 400+ yards opening day? Yall completely downplay how fuging good Cam was. He put auburn on his back to a national championship. What did ar win at Florida? He ain't Cam he can be someone else's project

The problem with Newton is that he didn't develop as a player. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

57 minutes ago, Prowler2k18 said:

I agree. Richardson to me is Cam 2.0. Athletically superior to the other QBs in this draft but a project. The difference with Cam was he not was only similarly gifted physically but the best QB in 2011 draft. This time, there are a few NFL ready QBs whose skill set are ahead of Richardson at this point. Wouldn’t have been upset at all if we considered him at #9. At the top position we gotta go with Stroud or Young.

46 minutes ago, backINblack28 said:

Agree with this--Cam had a lot of in the pocket and accuracy questions from pundits, but what people couldn't argue with was the fact that he came in and destroyed the SEC by himself in 1 year. 

Richardson did not.  The fact that he didn't elevate a UF team that leaves plenty to be desired I think validates some of the questions about the raw aspect to his talent, and for me, it plays similar to Trey Lance coming out where the raw intangibles and talent were very attractive but that it's unrealized to this point makes your point about him being a great value at 9, but too much of a gamble after trading up to 1.

What you'll hear from analysts (and it's generally true) is that when you have someone like Newton or Jackson, you basically have to build the offense around their skill set. That's what the Panthers did early on.

Norv Turner switched it up and had him running a Coryell type offense, and it worked. But he was already well into his career by the time that change was made. I'll always wonder what could have been if someone like Turner had been around early on.

You'd likely have to do that with Richardson as well if you wanted him to start this early. More likely you're taking a couple of years to try and coach him up, so you don't get any immediate returns.

Stroud or Young you could much more easily slide into a WCO or E-P type system because they've already got the skills needed.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2

Just now, rayzor said:

the bigger problem is he had sucky coaches. they didn't do anything.

Pretty much.

Instead of trying to teach him to play in a pro-style system, t hey built a college style offense around him. It's possible the idea was to slowly transition him into a more traditional offense, but they just decided what they had was good enough and stuck with it.

Turner showed them that they could have worked with him on that, although maybe it would have meant him starting a little later instead of day one.

That's a trade off I'd take for a longer, more successful career.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

What you'll hear from analysts (and it's generally true) is that when you have someone like Newton or Jackson, you basically have to build the offense around their skill set. That's what the Panthers did early on.

Norv Turner switched it up and had him running a Coryell type offense, and it worked. But he was already well into his career by the time that change was made. I'll always wonder what could have been if someone like Turner had been around early on.

You'd likely have to do that with Richardson as well if you wanted him to start this early. More likely you're taking a couple of years to try and coach him up, so you don't get any immediate returns.

Stroud or Young you could much more easily slide into a WCO or E-P type system because they've already got the skills needed.

Newton was at his best with Chudzinski...

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

Ending with massive deep bomb followed by a cart-wheel and backflip while running down to high five his receiver. Yep. The kid has the tools and the attitude. 

Falling in love with physical tools rather than pro-level quarterbacking skills is how you end up with a Trey Lance.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

46 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I just noticed that Richardson doesn't throw the ball gripping the laces.  Or he wasn't during warm-ups. 

i've seen him do that a few times. mostly he does grip the laces, but i noticed that a little at the combine.