• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thoughts on signing Frank Clark?

CamWhoaaCam

For cheap yeah for sure. He has not been good at all in the regular season the last few years but he's a guy who elevates his game in the playoffs. I think he'll cost too much though as he'll get paid for those playoff performances.

Why?  The draft is loaded at Edge rushers--14 or so are predicted to go first or second round, and most have early starting potential.  I am confused when you say "DE opposite Burns" because Burns will be an OLB; Brown and maybe R. Williams or Anderson will be the DEs. Are we playing Luvu at edge rusher?  How will Barno do this year?  What are we doing with YGM? 

But the message the Frank Reich has been preaching is this:  Character matters.  Pass rushers are second to LTs and QBs on the demand list, and Clark is sitting there nearly a month after free agency opens.  As you say, in his prime.  A better question might be, "Why is NOBODY signing Frank Clark?"

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Why?  The draft is loaded at Edge rushers--14 or so are predicted to go first or second round, and most have early starting potential.  I am confused when you say "DE opposite Burns" because Burns will be an OLB; Brown and maybe R. Williams or Anderson will be the DEs. Are we playing Luvu at edge rusher?  How will Barno do this year?  What are we doing with YGM? 

But the message the Frank Reich has been preaching is this:  Character matters.  Pass rushers are second to LTs and QBs on the demand list, and Clark is sitting there nearly a month after free agency opens.  As you say, in his prime.  A better question might be, "Why is NOBODY signing Frank Clark?"

He's not the only good player still available.

Teams are preparing for the draft, so most of those FA's are probably not signing until after the draft.

People suggesting Floyd as well. Do you think he is a question mark as well?

24 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

He's not the only good player still available.

Teams are preparing for the draft, so most of those FA's are probably not signing until after the draft.

People suggesting Floyd as well. Do you think he is a question mark as well?

Why go after a high salaried character red flag when they are loaded in the draft?  You do not value character as an important ingredient because it seems that has been asked and answered on this thread.  So if you compare him to other players in positions of less need without character concerns, you lose your focus.  Keep an open mind and read what the Huddle just told you instead of defending one possible solution to a problem with literally hundreds of possible solutions. 

When Frank Reich said, "We are going to want high character players" 4 days ago, did "Frank Clark!" ring in your brain? 

Character matters. 

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Why go after a high salaried character red flag when they are loaded in the draft?  You do not value character as an important ingredient because it seems that has been asked and answered on this thread.  So if you compare him to other players in positions of less need without character concerns, you lose your focus.  Keep an open mind and read what the Huddle just told you instead of defending one possible solution to a problem with literally hundreds of possible solutions. 

When Frank Reich said, "We are going to want high character players" 4 days ago, did "Frank Clark!" ring in your brain? 

Character matters. 

Yeah Clark isn't the best character guy. But every team in the league has a questionable character guy.

Chiefs still won multiple championships with him in that locker room. It's not like he is a team cancer.

Floyd is available. Do you think he has red flags as well?

Just now, CamWhoaaCam said:

Yeah Clark isn't the best character guy. But every team in the league has a questionable character guy.

Chiefs still won multiple championships with him in that locker room. It's not like he is a team cancer.

Floyd is available. Do you think he has red flags as well?

If you are comfortable with him, then that does not mean I have to be--and the argument "other people do it (have "questionable" character guys") is not a good defense.  That is like defending cancer because other people have it and they are living.  You asked a question and it was answered.  Did you not get the answer you were looking for? 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If you are comfortable with him, then that does not mean I have to be--and the argument "other people do it (have "questionable" character guys") is not a good defense.  That is like defending cancer because other people have it and they are living.  You asked a question and it was answered.  Did you not get the answer you were looking for? 

Yeah I been asking you about Floyd the past 2 questions.

I already said Frank character isn't the best. But those guys are on every team...

• Pie 1

55 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

But the message the Frank Reich has been preaching is this:  Character matters.  Pass rushers are second to LTs and QBs on the demand list, and Clark is sitting there nearly a month after free agency opens.  As you s

ay, in his prime.  A better question might be, "Why is NOBODY signing Frank Clark?"

The Panthers are supposed to be going after defense the 2nd day of the draft and DE should be high on their target list.

13 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

For the last time we are not rebuilding!

Look at our roster it's not in rebuild mode. We are in position to win this division if we hit on the QB. I have no idea why people still think we are rebuilding. Thielan said he signed here because we are competing for a championship. Look at our team nothing about it says rebuild.

Like you, i feel the Panthers are not looking at themselves being in a rebuilding mode but more of a restocking effort to go for a championship this year and years to come.

The key will depend on the QB they draft being able to adjust to the NFL quickly and help the team rise to the next level in a some what weak NFC South.

• Pie 1

13 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

For the last time we are not rebuilding!

Look at our roster it's not in rebuild mode. We are in position to win this division if we hit on the QB. I have no idea why people still think we are rebuilding. Thielan said he signed here because we are competing for a championship. Look at our team nothing about it says rebuild.

I think we are in certain areas. Edge rusher, LB, DB, RB, WR, OL are all areas that have been left very thin over the past few years due to some stellar mismanagement. While I don't think we're full rebuild, I don't think we're as deep as it looks on paper once the inevitable injury bug bites during the season, and it will. I'd say this year we're in contention to win the NFCS with some decent QB play. If we draft well this year and next, I think we're in contention to make some noise.