• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Widely Anticipated MHS Mock Draft 1.0

MHS831

Hello fans,

I thought I would get my needs lists out and do a mock based on best player available, need, and rumor (and I am out of the loop).  It all starts with the Panthers selecting Bryce Young.  There is a new era of QB in the NFL, but you still need a guy who is intelligent beyond his years--this matters for a rookie who will be expected to start day 1.  I think the need for a 6-4 QB is still real, but in the grand scheme of things, a player who can lead, who can read (defenses), and who can feed (distribute the ball to players when they need it)--seems to be a player who can make everyone better.  I am leaning Stroud, to be honest, but this is what I think the Panthers will do.  A coach on the field is a valuable asset, and with a young QB coach and OC without play calling responsibilities, I see the marriage.  To appreciate Young, you have to imagine the film room, practice, and meetings with position players.  This is not to say that Stroud cannot be these things, but it is questionable how he will do without a prestine pocket and the best WRs in College football history to throw to--I mean, both of this tackles will also be first or second round picks.  Not to say Bama was not ideal for a QB, but they experienced a bit of a dip at WR and maybe even RB.  A nearly impossible call to make from my perspective, so I am going to guess what the Panthers will do based on what they KNOW.  Yes, his size is a concern, but the new NFL rules that protect the QB and his excellent vision are second to none-he is elusive and smart with his body.  50% sure this is the pick.

Let me know what you think without getting into the Stroud/Young debate again.  I know both sides, lean Stroud, but think they will admire the brain of Young too much to pass up.

1.      RD 1

Panthers

Bryce Young, QB, Alabama 

Texans

CJ Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Titans (predicted trade)

Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida

Colts

Will Levis, QB, Kentucky

Seahawks

Will Anderson, Edge, Alabama

Lions

Jalen Carter, DL, Georgia

Raiders

Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern

Falcons

Tyree Wilson, Edge, Texas Tech

Bears

Lukas Van Ness, Edge/DL, Iowa

Eagles

Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State

Cardinals

Nolan Smith, Edge, Georgia

Texans

Quentin Johnson, WR, TCU

Jets

Parris Johnson, OT, Ohio State

Patriots

Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia

Packers

Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame

Commanders

Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon

Steelers

Joey Porter, CB, Penn State

Lions

Devin Witherspoon, CB, Illinois

Buccaneers

Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee

Seahawks

Jordan Addison, WR, Southern California

Chargers

Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas

Ravens

O’Cyrus Torrence, IOL, Florida

Vikings

Deonte Banks, CB, Maryland

Jaguars

Cam Smith, CB, South Carolina

Giants

Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College

Cowboys

Dalton Kinkaid, TE, Utah

Bills

Mazi Smith, DL, Michigan

Bengals

Brian Branch, S, Alabama

Saints

Hendon Hooker, QB, Tennessee

Eagles

Kalijah Kancey, DL, Pittsburgh

Chiefs

Will McDonald IV, Edge, Iowa State

32.   RD 2

Steelers

Anton Harrison, OT, Oklahoma

Texans

Drew Sanders, LB, Arkansas

Cardinals

Bryan Bresee, DT, Clemson

Colts

Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee

Rams

Adetomiwa Adebawore, Edge, Northwestern

Seahawks

Jack Campbell, LB, Iowa

Raiders

John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota

Panthers

Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia  (The best player available and a long-term answer at TE.  Still raw. I know this bothers some who think we are fine at CB, my next selection would have been fellow Bulldog Kelee Ringo, CB.  Panthers may trade back into the round to get an additional third and an edge rusher)   

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

What influenced me to go against my bias and select YOUNG?  Reich will be calling the plays during the game.  With the most intelligent QB to come out in years, he will be communicating--during the game--on a more sophisticated level.  When I heard that Reich was "blown away" by Young's intelligence--I immediately went there in my mind.  A cerebral coach with an NFL QB background would LOVE a cerebral QB on the field.  If the OC were calling plays during the game, this would matter less to me--but when the HC/former QB is calling plays, he will value that in-game communication more than we probably realize.

57 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

I guess won’t be able to make another 1st round bet with you this year 

Fool me once, shame on you----by the way, how much more humiliating could my profile pic be?

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

My dream is for Hyatt or Flowers to drop to us. We've got a decent WR room if they stay healthy but we don't have an X Factor at the position (unless Marshall or Chark really surprises me). 

Otherwise I'd be fine with one of the TEs, edge rusher, or LB. I would not be too enthused to get a CB or DT.

• Pie 1

33 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

My dream is for Hyatt or Flowers to drop to us. We've got a decent WR room if they stay healthy but we don't have an X Factor at the position (unless Marshall or Chark really surprises me). 

Otherwise I'd be fine with one of the TEs, edge rusher, or LB. I would not be too enthused to get a CB or DT.

I want an edge and a WR---If we get QB, edge and WR---Happy camper.