• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chris Mortensen: Bryce Young is the pick, they all love Bryce Young

TheSpecialJuan

5 minutes ago, Ivory Panther said:

I agree, Mahomes arm strength was actually 1 of the first things ppl raved about before even the play making ability.

aside from size (which is not a big deal to me), Bryce's arm strength is his biggest concern.

It's not bad (better than Tua IMO), but he definitely has many balls dying down toward the end on long passes. or they look a bit wobbly...

Do you think arm strength can drastically improve with more weight & muscles? 

This. He has a very average NFL arm. Honestly, probably below average if I'm being honest. In comparison, Mahomes has an elite NFL arm.

I get the comparison stylistically. My concern is does the style translate without the hose? That I'm not sure about. Burrow makes it work, but Burrow has a good arm too. Not Mahomes' arm, but he has a plus NFL arm and can throw that same ball from virtually any platform. I think there's a substantial gap in arm talent between Burrow and Young. I think Young is closer to *gulp* Teddy when it comes to pure arm talent. Can Mahomes' style work with Teddy Bridgewater's arm? That sounds like pick six city to me, but we're gonna find out one way or the other soon whether it's in Charlotte or Houston.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This. He has a very average NFL arm. Honestly, probably below average if I'm being honest. In comparison, Mahomes has an elite NFL arm.

I get the comparison stylistically. My concern is does the style translate without the hose? That I'm not sure about. Burrow makes it work, but Burrow has a good arm too. Not Mahomes' arm, but he has a plus NFL arm and can throw that same ball from virtually any platform. I think there's a substantial gap in arm talent between Burrow and Young. I think Young is closer to *gulp* Teddy when it comes to pure arm talent. Can Mahomes' style work with Teddy Bridgewater's arm? That sounds like pick six city to me, but we're gonna find out one way or the other soon whether it's in Charlotte or Houston.

Burrow is interesting because honestly I think Young in college has stronger arm than Burrow in college, it was a real concern with him coming out. But Burrow has noticeably improved his arm strength in the pros it’s really impressive.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, stan786 said:

Burrow is interesting because honestly I think Young in college has stronger arm than Burrow in college, it was a real concern with him coming out. But Burrow has noticeably improved his arm strength in the pros it’s really impressive.

I never saw the arm strength concerns with Burrow in college. Honestly, his arm impressed me. I thought it was roughly NFL average in the pocket but he was definitely a very good thrower on the run. That's what impresses me about Burrow and Mahomes. Somehow they're able to seemingly throw the same ball whether they're standing in a perfect pocket or running for their life throwing across their body. You're not supposed to be able to do that.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I never saw the arm strength concerns with Burrow in college. Honestly, his arm impressed me. I thought it was roughly NFL average in the pocket but he was definitely a very good thrower on the run. That's what impresses me about Burrow and Mahomes. Somehow they're able to seemingly throw the same ball whether they're standing in a perfect pocket or running for their life throwing across their body. You're not supposed to be able to do that.

Burrow struggled a bit with sideline throws from the far hash, I was legitimately concerned about him in college. I had the same worry about him that you (and I) do about Young.

I do think that’s the question for Young more than anything else. He is hitting windows in college and making these throws you aren’t supposed to but does it translate with his arm. I know most QBs arms get stronger when they get to the NFL but the staff feeling comfortable with that translating is the big deal for me when talking Young.

I don’t think it’s fair to expect him to get a Burrow type boost but I don’t think this is as strong as his arm is ever going to be.

• Pie 3

9 minutes ago, stan786 said:

Burrow struggled a bit with sideline throws from the far hash, I was legitimately concerned about him in college. I had the same worry about him that you (and I) do about Young.

I do think that’s the question for Young more than anything else. He is hitting windows in college and making these throws you aren’t supposed to but does it translate with his arm. I know most QBs arms get stronger when they get to the NFL but the staff feeling comfortable with that translating is the big deal for me when talking Young.

I don’t think it’s fair to expect him to get a Burrow type boost but I don’t think this is as strong as his arm is ever going to be.

That's my concern with Young's game outside of the size concerns. The windows in the NFL are typically considerably smaller and close a lot faster. If your game is about threading needles there's a velocity prerequisite. Can Young generate that velocity?

If you're gonna throw these balls in the NFL it better be leaving a smoke trail behind it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_no5YnIrAb4

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Just wanted to share some comments Fitterer noted about Young's arm strength. I think Young has an average NFL arm, CJ has good NFL , and Mahomes or Allen elite. For below average would be Tua and Teddy Bridgewater. 

“Thought he was very fluid, very poised,” Fitterer said. “Ball came out of his hand nice and easy — plenty of arm strength. I think, overall, he managed to do well.

“Saw a lot of good things out of him. Very in control, very poised. It’s just like you thought it would be. I know I heard comments around me, like, ‘Hey, his arm is better in person than I thought,’ [from] coaches that had only seen tape. That’s from other teams, but it’s always good to hear things like that.”

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think ESPN has a decent successor to Mortensen in Adam Schefter.

They've been trying forever to groom Todd McShay as their eventual successor to Mel Kiper and I just don't see it working.

I lot of people don’t like Kiper. I feel he is very entertaining. He is wrong all the time but he works extremely hard and has sooooo much passion for the draft. He inadvertently adds a lot of levity to this whole thing.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

"Who the hell is Mel Kiper" will always be one of the funniest moments in draft history 😄

My personal opinion: Daniel Jeremiah is the best of the draftniks right now.

Used to be Mike Mayock but man did that stint with the Raiders hurt his rep.

(even If it really was Gruden making the choices)

My favorite is Brugler from the Athletic. He’s really, really good.

31 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think Bryce compensates the lack of elite arm with anticipation and ball placement in short & intermediate throws. when you throw ppl open, you don't always have to drive the ball in.

So, I think he will be fine. he has a bigger arm than Tua and he has been doing ok with Tyreek and Waddle this season.

I also wonder if Bryce's arm can get stronger.

I mean these kids are in their early 20s (except grandpa Hooker lol), so I'm thinking they will get stronger. It feels to me like Burrow's arm got a little stronger in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, gmonjimbo said:

Just wanted to share some comments Fitterer noted about Young's arm strength. I think Young has an average NFL arm, CJ has good NFL , and Mahomes or Allen elite. For below average would be Tua and Teddy Bridgewater. 

“Thought he was very fluid, very poised,” Fitterer said. “Ball came out of his hand nice and easy — plenty of arm strength. I think, overall, he managed to do well.

“Saw a lot of good things out of him. Very in control, very poised. It’s just like you thought it would be. I know I heard comments around me, like, ‘Hey, his arm is better in person than I thought,’ [from] coaches that had only seen tape. That’s from other teams, but it’s always good to hear things like that.”

Stroud has that throw that is not hard but pretty much a precision pinpoint accuracy on target throw and little effort is involved. Hits the WR in stride so easily. Only thing is how will these throws he makes do in the NFL.