• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are smaller players more injury-prone?

MHS831

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

Brother let's be real his playing weight isn't 200.

Not defending Bryce, he's undersized however you want to look at it. I'm 5'9 185 and think I could take dude in a fight. I agree with the point though that all the Tua fearmongering is dumb when there's no concerns about CJ being the same size if not slighter. 

2 hours ago, MechaZain said:

Nah this is crazy take coming from Cam's former team

All QBs are targeted. If anything the physically intimidating ones are who get extra mustard on their hits. 

Don't kid yourself, the defensive players are putting extra mustard on any any QB hit every chance they get , regardless of size.

3 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

Not defending Bryce, he's undersized however you want to look at it. I'm 5'9 185 and think I could take dude in a fight. I agree with the point though that all the Tua fearmongering is dumb when there's no concerns about CJ being the same size if not slighter. 

Haha I hear ya man. The weight is a topic we are just going to have to accept if he is indeed under heavy consideration for the pick. He could have put the whole thing to bed at his pro day but what's done is done. He's got a lot of things about his game to like. But the talk of his football IQ may be reaching a point where it's being overstated. That's a very important tool. But he has limitations to a degree as a passer as well. Anywho in general I feel for the sanity of some folks and what I see are lofty expectations being forced upon him we should be direct about the state of things. I'm getting vibes around the BY discussion like we did with Matt Corral. And those talks about him we were riding a high after just drafting him until we saw how small he looked and played in a preseason game. Bryce is smaller. We are playing with fire if we draft him and stand pat on the OL and do not invest BIG in protecting him.

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, frankw said:

Haha I hear ya man. The weight is a topic we are just going to have to accept if he is indeed under heavy consideration for the pick. He could have put the whole thing to bed at his pro day but what's done is done. He's got a lot of things about his game to like. But the talk of his football IQ may be reaching a point where it's being overstated. That's a very important tool. But he has limitations to a degree as a passer as well. Anywho in general I feel for the sanity of some folks and what I see are lofty expectations being forced upon him we should be direct about the state of things. I'm getting vibes around the BY discussion like we did with Matt Corral. And those talks about him we were riding a high after just drafting him until we saw how small he looked and played in a preseason game. Bryce is smaller. We are playing with fire if we draft him and stand pat on the OL and do not invest BIG in protecting him.

PJ is 1" taller and at least 10-15 pounds heavier than Bryce for reference1546281904_PanthersQBs110822.jpeg.2c455fbc729b76a62a61fb25eea281e9.jpeg

• Beer 1

20 hours ago, rayzor said:

There is no evidence to support it. That's what I'm saying. That a QB is more likely to be injured because of his size...that has no evidence to back it up. Injury is unpredictable and can happen to anydamnbody regardless of size.

Size matters for other reasons, but there is nothing bother than other opinions to back that claim up.

I agree with most of your take in the previous post about height. It’s a concern not being able to see over the line unless in Shotgun. It limits your offense. 

There’s no evidence to support Bryce getting hurt because he will be the first of his stature in the modern NFL. 

Saying Bryce’s weight and slight stature is not a problem based on the premise that there isn’t any evidence does not fit here. It’s never been done, that’s why there isn’t evidence. 

• Pie 1

20 hours ago, Lame Duck said:

I’m not a scientist but when Yukon XL gets in a wreck with Prius, I know who’s passengers will get the worst end of impact.  It is all related to transfer of energy or transfer of G forces.

Here’s a great article.  Considering Young is 5’10 and article below… sounds like he will get his head taken off if hit from a blindside by blitzing player.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chadorzel/2015/11/08/football-physics-putting-g-forces-in-perspective/amp/

@rayzor this is the closest we have to Young’s stature being a problem. The ops statistical information is relevant to a certain extent, but this article on G-Force is a better example of why I’m concerned. 

59 minutes ago, Beast_3000 said:

I agree with most of your take in the previous post about height. It’s a concern not being able to see over the line unless in Shotgun. It limits your offense. 

There’s no evidence to support Bryce getting hurt because he will be the first of his stature in the modern NFL. 

Saying Bryce’s weight and slight stature is not a problem based on the premise that there isn’t any evidence does not fit here. It’s never been done, that’s why there isn’t evidence. 

But is there evidence that smaller than average QBs are more prone to injury than larger ones? He'd probably be the smallest, but not the first smaller than average QB.

Is there evidence to show that smaller than average players of any position are more prone to injury than larger ones?

Just now, rayzor said:

But is there evidence that smaller than average QBs are more prone to injury than larger ones? He'd probably be the smallest, but not the first smaller than average QB.

Is there evidence to show that smaller than average players of any position are more prone to injury than larger ones?

Theres no way to show that.  What is your baseline for even where to begin?

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Theres no way to show that.  What is your baseline for even where to begin?

Where is the baseline for it being a problem?

People cry "he's too short!"  "he's too small!" But where is that definitive line? Where is that line between too short/small?

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

People cry "he's too short!"  "he's too small!" But where is that definitive line? Where is that line between too short/small?

therein lies the problem, but in regards to Young its clearly an issue based on the concerns from our front office.  You are trying to put some number on this when its not the same across the board. 

Edited by mrcompletely11

6 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Did you look at the physics article on force on a smaller object above ? That’s the baseline. Physics. A Yukon hitting a Prius vs a Yukon hitting an Explorer. Other than that there is nothing to predict what will happen to Bryce at 190 pounds. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

therein lies the problem, but in regards to Young its clearly an issue based on the concerns from our front office.  You are trying to put some number on this when its not the same across the board. 

But you are all coming up with this idea that at some point size becomes an issue for durability. Where is that line? Is there some sliding scale? Then where is it and where is the data to support it?

When you say too small, where is the line where it's not an issue? What would have been an  acceptable height/weight? How hard and fast is that line? What is it based on?

Just now, Beast_3000 said:

Did you look at the physics article on force on a smaller object above ? That’s the baseline. Physics. A Yukon hitting a Prius vs a Yukon hitting an Explorer. Other than that there is nothing to predict what will happen to Bryce at 190 pounds. 

But where is that line? At what point is it not a problem or at least an acceptable problem.

That's what no one is saying. Where's that line where it's too much of an issue?