• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are smaller players more injury-prone?

MHS831

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

So our former qb and current head coach doesnt know what he is talking about.  Cool take

I think he's an awesome hire, the best we could have hoped for. I do think, and this is ok...that it's just an unsubstantiated opinion that Young will have durability issues because of his stature. He has an opinion about that. I have an opinion about that. They are different. We don't have to agree. I'm not going to lay my opinion to the side because coach says differently. I'll trust his judgement. 

Like I said, I think there are other reasons that are more valid and legit, imo, for choosing a taller QB that don't have to do with durability. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Just now, ForJimmy said:

I believe Stroud's was two years ago.  So an argument could be made that the more recent one is from wear and tear due to constantly taking hits.  It's a pretty weak argument I admit, but still one that could be made as one prospect finished his most recent season not missing any games.  

Sure that is fair, I'd imagine the physicals would be able to give you the info you needed there as the front office.

• Pie 1

It's not even about the injury because of his size, it his playstyle. He has a average to below average arm and probably runs a 4.7-4.8 forty yard dash. 

If we pick him I will support the little dude, but I don't know how his game will translate to the NFL. Dropping back farther in the pocket is a death wish when playing against NFL edge rushers. If he steps up he can't see the field anymore. I just don't know what he will be able to do. 

• Pie 1

Just now, stan786 said:

I mean sure, but he's not the first to do it and not the last. People love JSN who didnt run the 40 because he wanted a friendly track to run on to hide his biggest weakness. Combine is the combine if you base everything on that good luck.

I don’t want my leader of my football team acting shady. Wouldn’t reweigh. Wouldn’t throw live around other guys because it would show his arm isn’t on the level theirs is. He would have been better off just skipping the entire combine. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

Just now, rayzor said:

I think he's an awesome hire, the best we could have hoped for. I do think, and this is ok...that it's just an unsubstantiated opinion that Young will have durability issues because of his stature. He has an opinion about that. I have an opinion about that. They are different. We don't have to agree. I'm not going to lay my opinion to the side because coach says differently. I'll trust his judgement. 

Like I said, I think there are other reasons that are more valid and legit, imo, for choosing a taller QB that don't have to do with durability. 

No offense to you but I am going to weigh a guys opinion who has played and coached in the nfl a bit more then some dude on a message board.  And its not just reich that is concerned its basically everyone that is scouting him

• Beer 1

Just now, Varking said:

I don’t want my leader of my football team acting shady. Wouldn’t reweigh. Wouldn’t throw live around other guys because it would show his arm isn’t on the level theirs is. He would have been better off just skipping the entire combine. 

Shady lmao. I've never seen so much stock but on something so small. You'll come around eventually when he's here.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Again this is a weird take when everyone and their brother are concerned about Youngs size but you are the only one that is saying size doesnt matter

There is no evidence to support it. That's what I'm saying. That a QB is more likely to be injured because of his size...that has no evidence to back it up. Injury is unpredictable and can happen to anydamnbody regardless of size.

Size matters for other reasons, but there is nothing bother than other opinions to back that claim up.

• Pie 1

Just now, rayzor said:

There is no evidence to support it. That's what I'm saying. That a QB is more likely to be injured because of his size...that has no evidence to back it up. Injury is unpredictable and can happen to anydamnbody regardless of size.

Size matters for other reasons, but there is nothing bother than other opinions to back that claim up.

Its cool man.  You are not worried about it but our coach is.  Trust me having a different opinion is fine

Just now, stan786 said:

Shady lmao. I've never seen so much stock but on something so small. You'll come around eventually when he's here.

I’ve literally said if we draft any of the four first round QBs I’ll be happy. I’m done with retreads. It doesn’t mean I can’t voice concerns about the kid. 

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

The only reason height should come into question between Young and Stroud is the ability to scan the field from the pocket. Young is forced to be more mobile to get a better view of the field. He does it really well, but, again forced to choose, I'd rather have a QB who wasn't forced to be mobile so he could see the field better.

Focused in on a potential to be injured on a player with no injury history is waste of time.

Mine would be the velocity at which they can throw the football. There's no way a 5 10 Bryce Young throws a faster ball than a 6 5 250 pound Cam Newton. I just worry about Youngs arm strength not being adequate enough for the speed of NFL secondaries 

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

No offense to you but I am going to weigh a guys opinion who has played and coached in the nfl a bit more then some dude on a message board.  And its not just reich that is concerned its basically everyone that is scouting him

That's fine. It doesn't bother me that you disagree. I'm just stating that it's only opinions that are behind this durability issue. And those opinions might beat our to be right or wrong, but so far there has been nothing to show that there is justification for that opinion. Size is not an accurate predictor of durability... unless you are talking about oversized players, then we've got some evidence. There just isn't any for being too damn vs not being too small.

And that's all I've been saying.