• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are smaller players more injury-prone?

MHS831

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Didn't look like it from what I read.

It’s based on injury reports over like 8 season and it’s on a per game basis. 

If smaller players had the same injury chance to get the normal injuries all QBs did like knees and what not, and then an added injury chance at a certain type of other injuries it would definitely show up in the data over that sample. Unless the smaller QBs had a some other reduced injury risk than bigger ones did in a different facet, and that balanced it out. But end of day injury per game played stayed would illustrate injury risk.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, stan786 said:

It’s based on injury reports over like 8 season and it’s on a per game basis. 

If smaller players had the same injury chance to get the normal injuries all QBs did like knees and what not, and then an added injury chance at a certain type of other injuries it would definitely show up in the data over that sample. Unless the smaller QBs had a some other reduced injury risk than bigger ones did in a different facet, and that balanced it out. But end of day injury per game played stayed would illustrate injury risk.

Those other types of injuries aren't the ones that concern people worried about Young's frame, though.

It's the kind that happen when somebody slams into him with either high impact or a lot of weight.

The data doesn't separate those.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Those other types of injuries aren't the ones that concern people worried about Young's frame, though.

It's the kind that happen when somebody slams into him with either high impact or a lot of weight.

Ah so are you saying you’d guess lighter guys may have less knee and ligament injuries and more concussions/shoulder injuries?

1 hour ago, PantherOnTheProwl1523 said:

The NFL is a totally different animal compared to college football. The NFL opponents will give Young a real test of his durability.

I'm also not sure why they've highlighted a play where Young's OLine gives him an age to complete a PA bomb down the field. 

How does that support their argument?

Just now, stan786 said:

Ah so are you saying you’d guess lighter guys may have less knee and ligament injuries and more concussions/shoulder injuries?

I'm saying I don't care.

The size correlation with things like lower body injuries aren't what scare me.

Likely most others don't care either because the concerns are over the high impact stuff.

• Poo 1

55 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think this article (or another article) stated that the number one injury to QBs is shoulder, fwiw.

13 hours ago, rayzor said:

Like I  said, there is a legitimate case to be made for the ability to see the field from the pocket.

Injury potential because of size is not a legitimate concern because it's based on nothing more than unsubstantiated fears.

Bro

Y'all will find any excuse necessary to disregard proven skillset's. Drew Brees was literally known for not being able to see over his OL. Yet him being able to Anticipate will bring him to the hall of Fame.

Bryce has the same track record.

I could understand if he got his balls batted like baker. Pun intended. But he's shown over and over he can manipulate the pocket and throw guys open.

It's not a concern.

4 hours ago, stan786 said:

Would that not be baked into the data, if all size players get a similar rate of certain types injuries but small players take other injuries more due to physicality you should see a bump in small players getting injured comparatively because you are adding an injury risk on top of an already assumed one.

Shhh, don't tell them an injury is an injury. It doesn't fit their narrative 

• Flames 1
  • Poo 1

16 hours ago, WestPanthers said:

No but the fact is this give the opponent gameplan to target with the small QB.

Nah this is crazy take coming from Cam's former team

All QBs are targeted. If anything the physically intimidating ones are who get extra mustard on their hits.