• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Which player will benefit the most in the 3-4 Defense

NAS

Beyond Burns who is an obvious answer, Luvu 100% for me.

Wash State/Leach rotated him inside and outside in 2017.  He was a great asset for them, all over the field, in disguises, they were creative with him & he knows how to hunt the QB.  He's such a good piece to have moving forward.  

I think he's primed for a nice fluid role here.  ILB and OLB.  

Between him and Chinn being basically FLEX starters, it's just dependent on the package.  And we'll be in nickel more than 3-4.  

Shaq, Luvu, Burns and Chinn all standing in the box is what's up.  You have two outside corners, two deep, & the 3 man front of Brown-Tuttle-Williams.    

And if we don't land an EDGE in R2-3, watch out for Haynes.  The dude has improved every year and I feel like he could really have a chance to make an impact.

There are two separate issues at play that should help most of our defense.  Some will benefit from the switch to a 3-4, and I would perhaps put Burns at the top of that, but as the discussion has pointed out, there are several candidates.

Then there is a coaching staff who will hopefully assess the talent's strengths and weaknesses and put them in the best position to succeed whether it is a 3-4, 4-3, 5-2, 7-0.

Honestly, I could care less about the 3-4 switch.  The second change has me a lot more pumped up.

I think everyone can benefit from a change to a 3-4 if it is aggressive in style. Being in a 3-4 or a 4-3 as a base defense only 30% of the time means that most of the time they will be in something else. So the way they play and various coverages will determine who shines more than the base defense we employ. Fanzio's version is very aggressive with frequent blitzing through the A gaps which benefits ILB sack stats as much as OLBs.  Coverages matter. Press man coverage might benefit Horn more than a cover 3 shell in terms of his effectiveness.  And if Chinn is playing safety in press man on a TE he stays closer to the line than if they were in cover 4 for example. 

• Pie 1