• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young under Center

Calboyz13

Just now, CPF4LIFE said:

Interesting to know if those throws were in 2021 or last season because when people post them its always the season before the last. Personally, i have been closely paying attention to how he threw after he banged up his shoulder because there was some struggle at first.

Sure there was, he was lights out against Tennessee but you can see some of those issues for a few games. You can see it on Strouds 21 tape as well right after the injury, I think that’s why people came into the year saying he didn’t have a super strong arm, when Strouds got a very nice arm in reality.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Jeff George hated watching film and Russell came into the league with a drug problem.   Not really apples to apples

And yet they both had howitzers. 

Listen to yourself! What you're saying is clearly the point, and also an argument for taking Young from several perspectives.

I guess I am nuts for wanting my #1 overall draft pick to have an elite arm.  

And we are nuts for wanting our #1 pick to have an elite mental game it seems. Wild how different people value different things.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's very obvious if you watch any Bama games at all over the years. Bama transitioned from an old school ground and pound I formation power running team that wanted to run the ball and only throw when they felt they had to a full on spread offense slinging the ball all over the field seemingly overnight.

And yeah, you gotta give Saban props for that. He's an old school defensive coach. I'm sure he'd prefer to play his old way. But he saw where the game was going and knew that if he wanted to keep getting elite offensive recruits he was going to have to evolve with the game and play the style of ball those kids were going to be attracted to.

Well yeah. He went from trotting out guys like AJ McCarron and Greg McElory at QB, to guys like Hurts, Jones, Tua and Young. There was a marked shift and you could tell when it started by the caliber of QB they went after.

4 minutes ago, Varking said:

His arm isn’t a noodle like Ken Dorsey but his arm strength will be in the bottom half of the NFL for sure the moment he’s drafted. Not a huge ordeal but it means he has less room for mistakes when he throws. 

If you're trying to suggest to me that Young has a problem with velocity and ball placement, I'm telling you that that's really not the case. 

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Average arm dwarf size.  But hey he is a really quick thinker.  Hard pass

Elite thinker, Elite under pressure, Elite Accuracy, I’m in.

I hope this place isn’t as miserable when we draft Young as it seems it might.

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, stan786 said:

There’s a nice little montage of him doing what you say he can’t.

The one thing all of those throws have in common is that he has plenty of time and plenty of room in a clean pocket to wind up and step into the throw. I don't know if he can go deep in the NFL with pressure in his face.

Stylistically, I get the Mahomes comparison. But the big difference is Mahomes doesn't require that time and space to step in and wind up to generate velocity and/or go deep.

Young can't do this.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

Um, yeah no.   They’re this new thing that’s all the rage called “off platform”.  

He throws off platform, and does it effectively. Hell, that's one of his strengths.  Most guys aren't going to lob 50 yard bombs off platform. 

3 minutes ago, joemac said:

Well yeah. He went from trotting out guys like AJ McCarron and Greg McElory at QB, to guys like Hurts, Jones, Tua and Young. There was a marked shift and you could tell when it started by the caliber of QB they went after.

Yeah, that's my point. You can't get elite QB talent when you want them to just turn around and hand the ball off.

• Pie 1