• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young under Center

Calboyz13

Looking at anther thread in the Huddle it stated that CJ Stroud under center count was 121 which ranked 15th most in the nation Young had 4 in 2022. This could be a huge Red flag and it’s not talked about much either also looking at a-lot of young tape I seen him under center on a 3rd and 1 Vs Texas A&M and he didn’t look comfortable at all his hand off to Brian Robison Jr was high and it caused a fumble on a crucial down so if Bryce is drafted are we limited to just Shotgun and pistol or will they coach him to be under center tried to include a video but for reference it’s at 2:28 Alabama Vs A&M 2021 

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Calboyz13 said:

Looking at anther thread in the Huddle it stated that CJ Stroud under center count was 121 which ranked 15th most in the nation Young had 4 in 2022. This could be a huge Red flag and it’s not talked about much either also looking at a-lot of young tape I seen him under center on a 3rd and 1 Vs Texas A&M and he didn’t look comfortable at all his hand off to Brian Robison Jr was high and it caused a fumble on a crucial down so if Bryce is drafted are we limited to just Shotgun and pistol or will they coach him to be under center tried to include a video but for reference it’s at 2:28 Alabama Vs A&M 2021 

RPReplay_Final1680967765.mov 5.39 MB · 0 downloads

"Saban recognized that the game was changing, especially at the college level, and to compete for championships, Alabama needed to modernize its offense to light up the scoreboard. 

The pro-style roots remain, but Saban’s coordinators began to add elements of the modern spread and air raid systems, with Sarkisian putting the finishing touches on the pro-spread. 

Run-pass options (RPOs), vertical passing from spread formations, and practically zero snaps from under center came to fruition when Mac Jones took over as the starting quarterback. 

Last season, Jones had the third-highest rate of his passes come off RPO schemes (19%) in the 2021 quarterback class and only attempted 11 passes in his career from under center." 

https://www.clnsmedia.com/lazar-adapting-offense-to-fit-mac-jones-wont-be-an-issue-for-patriots/

Something to consider for sure. However, it seems from the design of Alabama's offense doesn't call for snaps under center

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

Baltimore ran 97% from shotgun this year. Chiefs were something like 75%. I’m confident BY could figure out how to take a snap under center for 5-25% of the time. 

He isn’t mobile like Lamar and isn’t mobile like Pat mahomes either. But I get your comparison 

1 minute ago, gmonjimbo said:

"Saban recognized that the game was changing, especially at the college level, and to compete for championships, Alabama needed to modernize its offense to light up the scoreboard. 

The pro-style roots remain, but Saban’s coordinators began to add elements of the modern spread and air raid systems, with Sarkisian putting the finishing touches on the pro-spread. 

Run-pass options (RPOs), vertical passing from spread formations, and practically zero snaps from under center came to fruition when Mac Jones took over as the starting quarterback. 

Last season, Jones had the third-highest rate of his passes come off RPO schemes (19%) in the 2021 quarterback class and only attempted 11 passes in his career from under center." 

https://www.clnsmedia.com/lazar-adapting-offense-to-fit-mac-jones-wont-be-an-issue-for-patriots/

Something to consider for sure. However, it seems from the design of Alabama's offense doesn't call for snaps under center

This is great info holy smokes 

14 minutes ago, gmonjimbo said:

It's very obvious if you watch any Bama games at all over the years. Bama transitioned from an old school ground and pound I formation power running team that wanted to run the ball and only throw when they felt they had to a full on spread offense slinging the ball all over the field seemingly overnight.

And yeah, you gotta give Saban props for that. He's an old school defensive coach. I'm sure he'd prefer to play his old way. But he saw where the game was going and knew that if he wanted to keep getting elite offensive recruits he was going to have to evolve with the game and play the style of ball those kids were going to be attracted to.

• Pie 5

11 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

Not worried about this at all, this is a very learnablr skill and we have the best coaches to teach it.

My question to you is why not go with the guy who’s naturally been under center where u don’t have to teach him 

Edited by Calboyz13
  • Pie 2

Just now, Calboyz13 said:

My question to is why not go with the guy naturally been under center where u don’t have to teach him 

If it's not a bit component of the offense and/or they feel the other traits are better, why not? Every player has strengths and weaknesses, just a matter of picking the most workable combo thereof.

For the record I am completely neutral between the two QBs being discussed here.

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's very obvious if you watch any Bama games at all over the years. Bama transitioned from an old school ground and pound I formation power running team that wanted to run the ball and only throw when they felt they had to a full on spread offense slinging the ball all over the field seemingly overnight.

And yeah, you gotta give Saban props for that. He's an old school defensive coach. I'm sure he'd prefer to play his old way. But he saw where the game was going and knew that if he wanted to keep getting elite offensive recruits he was going to have to evolve with the game and play the style of ball those kids were going to be attracted to.

This is what has made Saban so good IMO, he's never been afraid to make wholesale changes to what he likes to do. Always poaching fired coaches to try and harvest ideas and stay ahead of the curve.

• Pie 3

7 minutes ago, Calboyz13 said:

My question to you is why not go with the guy who’s naturally been under center where u don’t have to teach him 

Because there is less to teach Bryce than there is to teach any other QB in this draft.

• Beer 1
  • The D 2
  • Flames 1