• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young on Cam

ncfan

3 hours ago, Tr3ach said:

Cam wouldn't be a great mentor for Young.  Their styles are almost the opposite and Cam was an absolute beast physically but a lot of the negative intricacies he had never improved that much.  He was a great qb in his prime, I'm not sure about helping coach up a young guy.

For real even in that pro day promotional film he’s still all arm on those throws, it’s like he never had to use his torso throwing. I’m sure that contributed to his shoulder issues. 

28 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

There are plenty other greats that spend hours watching and analyzing tape. It’s been said Cam does this, Ray Lewis was notorious for spending numerous hours watching tape. Quite a few greats do this, which is one of the things that makes them great. 

Do you think Ray Lewis would make a great coach?

Not sure.

He'd likely be a fantastic motivator. Don't know enough about how he'd be as a teacher (same question I had about Kuechly).

I know when I was young, Bart Starr was coaching the Packers. He's revered as an all-time great at quarterback. Coach? Not so much.

It all just depends on the player.

Edited by Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, Fox007 said:

Be like "oh yeah well I was grown up watching Cam!" sadfase

I was already at the point where I was watching the kids of guys I saw when I was young. Now we're getting up to me watching their grandkids.

Sad face? Old face might be more appropriate 🙁

• Pie 1

Happy for Cam in anything he pursues, and I definitely want him to retire as a Panther. The joy he brought to the Carolinas and to the franchise were unparalled. 

That said, I think Cam should hang it up and doesn't need to back anyone up. He should enjoy retirement and the fruits of his labor and spend time with his growing family... That's true happiness anyway. 

• Pie 1

I can tell you two other players I hear people talk about that they say would make great coaches. Our own Greg Olsen, obviously a great player, and Tony Romo kind of a half decent player.

(Lady Cowboy Fan would fight me on that) 🙁

They're both obviously smart and do a lot of analysis. As far as coaching, I'd give the edge to Olsen because he's the son of a coach and basically grew up in that environment. Romo? Not so sure.

Thing is though, it doesn't seem like either of them really wants to coach, at least not at the pro level.

And I can absolutely understand that. The kind of commitment that it takes to coach in the pros can be beyond exhausting. Numerous coaches have burned out in the past. Meanwhile, both guys have really good gigs and are making very good money doing them, so why leave that for something so high pressure?

I'll grant though that it's possible either of them could change their minds down the road and become coaches or even personnel guys. Heck, Frank Reich didn't go right into coaching, just like Dan Morgan didn't go directly into scouting.

If they do though, here's hoping their success from booth to the field translates better than that of Matt Millen 😣

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I can tell you two other players I hear people talk about that they say would make great coaches. Our own Greg Olsen, obviously a great player, and Tony Romo kind of a half decent player.

(Lady Cowboy Fan would fight me on that) 🙁

They're both obviously smart and do a lot of analysis. As far as coaching, I'd give the edge to Olsen because he's the son of a coach and basically grew up in that environment. Romo? Not so sure.

Thing is though, it doesn't seem like either of them really wants to coach, at least not at the pro level.

And I can absolutely understand that. The kind of commitment that it takes to coach in the pros can be beyond exhausting. Numerous coaches have burned out in the past. Meanwhile, both guys have really good gigs and are making very good money doing them, so why leave that for something so high pressure?

I'll grant though that it's possible either of them could change their minds down the road and become coaches or even personnel guys. Heck, Frank Reich didn't go right into coaching, just like Dan Morgan didn't go directly into scouting.

If they do though, here's hoping their success from booth to the field translates better than that of Matt Millen 😣

So, now the question is, what is it exactly that makes Kuechly, Olsen, and Romo, greats (in Romo’s case, we’ll go with pretty good, not great) that you feel are able to transition into coaching? What characteristics do greats have that these 3 don’t, which makes it hard to excel in coaching? 

3 hours ago, AggieLean said:

So, now the question is, what is it exactly that makes Kuechly, Olsen, and Romo, greats (in Romo’s case, we’ll go with pretty good, not great) that you feel are able to transition into coaching? What characteristics do greats have that these 3 don’t, which makes it hard to excel in coaching? 

I'm not sure you've reading my posts in their entirety because what I've said is I don't know that they could.

For Kuechly, the role he had as a pro scout was arguably better suited to him. It involved breaking down film, but not actual coaching.

Romo Is a good analyst but as with Kuechly, I have no idea whether he can teach. That's required to be a good coach.

The one guy of the bunch that I would give a good shot at coaching Is Greg Olsen. That's not so much because of his knowledge but because his dad is a coach and he grew up in a football type environment.

9 hours ago, Tr3ach said:

Cam wouldn't be a great mentor for Young.  Their styles are almost the opposite and Cam was an absolute beast physically but a lot of the negative intricacies he had never improved that much.  He was a great qb in his prime, I'm not sure about helping coach up a young guy.

Nah, read between the lines. Cam can be Bryce's S&C coach. lol! 

• Pie 1