• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Th 6’2 prototypical QB is a myth, look at the shotgun percentages

TheBigKat

Historically, any #1 pick is a gamble.  It's just such as a huge investment with such high expectations.  The busts are really visible.

Just a few #1 busts in recent memory.  2007 Jamarcus Russell, 2010 Sam Bradford, 2015 Jameis Winston.  Wouldn't call 2016 Jared Goff a bust, but he's already on his second team.

Point being, all these #1's had better physical attributes than Bryce and still busted.  Bryce is a gamble, but literally so is everyone else.

5 minutes ago, frankw said:

Only maybe two or three people here are going to be sitting around pouting about Bryce Young as the pick. I'm not one of them.

But that doesn't mean rational folks can't acknowledge the facts of the situation.

Before he is picked; I'm going to piss and moan like a little child.

After he is picked; I'm going to hope and pray like a big boy. lol

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

3 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

Not concerned about his play, kid is awesome. I’m concerned about him being able to last his rookie contract. 

If Bryce, specifically, can get through his first year without anything major, I'm not going to worry about him anymore than I normally do about any QB. 

It sounds like some of y'all are saying that you're going to worry for years simply due to his size. To each his own, but I think that's kind of holding him to a higher standard than anyone else. I mean, any QB can and will get hurt, it's just a part of the game, but as long as they come back and play to expectations, that's what I believe that we should be looking for. Hell, Cam got fuged up and was never right again. Brady got hurt, came back and continued a stellar career. Tua came into the league hurt, and has been hurt repeatedly. Burrow got jacked up and returned apparently as good as new. 

If Young proves game his rookie season, then I'm not going to inordinately worry about him anymore. It's kind of like a prove-it deal for me (and probably a lot of people). After that, it's just football.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

The major concern about Young isnt his overall game or how the nfl offensive philosophy is changing.  Its simply can his body withstand the punishment.  Thats pretty much it.  

Question for you since I've seen you and a cpl of other users specifically harp on this:

What is the threshold that you're looking for in particular in regards to punishment? Are you afraid of ANY hit hurting him or are you afraid of an accumulation? I saw this thrown around often for Young, but not for Stroud who is barely over 200lbs himself. Is this just a general concern that you have or is there something specifically that has you worried?

14 minutes ago, frankw said:

Only maybe two or three people here are going to be sitting around pouting about Bryce Young as the pick. I'm not one of them.

But that doesn't mean rational folks can't acknowledge the facts of the situation.

I'm a rational folk myself. So acknowledging that size is a concern to me seems unnecessary at this point considering there are dozens of posters on this forum who have been shouting it and only it from the mountaintops for months

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

If Bryce, specifically, can get through his first year without anything major, I'm not going to worry about him anymore than I normally do about any QB. 

It sounds like some of y'all are saying that you're going to worry for years simply due to his size. To each his own, but I think that's kind of holding him to a higher standard than anyone else. I mean, any QB can and will get hurt, it's just a part of the game, but as long as they come back and play to expectations, that's what I believe that we should be looking for. Hell, Cam got fuged up and was never right again. Brady got hurt, came back and continued a stellar career. Tua came into the league hurt, and has been hurt repeatedly. Burrow got jacked up and returned apparently as good as new. 

If Young proves game his rookie season, then I'm not going to inordinately worry about him anymore. It's kind of like a prove-it deal for me (and probably a lot of people). After that, it's just football.

Burrow is the one here that is why this is infuriating as a rhetorical situation.  He got killed by his OL.  Then he returned and made it to the super bowl. If Bryce tears the same ACL that Burrow did--tons of our own fans will rush here with 'I told you so's about size/our own QB getting an injury that one of our own best players ever recovered from 3 separate straight times and I will be ready to fight morons in the street

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, backINblack28 said:

I'm a rational folk myself. So acknowledging that size is a concern to me seems unnecessary at this point considering there are dozens of posters on this forum who have been shouting it and only it from the mountaintops for months

See, this isn't even close to being the truth. We also harp on his lack of athleticism, his average arm. We would harp on his lack of speed, but for some reason he didn't run. What was he hiding there?

• Poo 2

4 minutes ago, Icege said:

Question for you since I've seen you and a cpl of other users specifically harp on this:

What is the threshold that you're looking for in particular in regards to punishment? Are you afraid of ANY hit hurting him or are you afraid of an accumulation? I saw this thrown around often for Young, but not for Stroud who is barely over 200lbs himself. Is this just a general concern that you have or is there something specifically that has you worried?

accumulation and the mega hits

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Gerry Green said:

See, this isn't even close to being the truth. We also harp on his lack of athleticism, his average arm. We would harp on his lack of speed, but for some reason he didn't run. What was he hiding there?

Tell me you don’t watch SEC football without telling me you don’t watch SEC football 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, backINblack28 said:

Burrow is the one here that is why this is infuriating as a rhetorical situation.  He got killed by his OL.  Then he returned and made it to the super bowl. If Bryce tears the same ACL that Burrow did--tons of our own fans will rush here with 'I told you so's about size/our own QB getting an injury that one of our own best players ever recovered from 3 separate straight times and I will be ready to fight morons in the street

Now you are projecting onto future events. But hey, this is the place to do so,

• Poo 1

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

The major concern about Young isnt his overall game or how the nfl offensive philosophy is changing.  Its simply can his body withstand the punishment.  Thats pretty much it.  

First anybody has heard of this size thing. If only somebody posted something about his size in literally every thread for the past 2 months.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 2