• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bills new stadium will have a grass field

NAS

Just now, KatsAzz said:

The fact most NFL players prefer grass fields, and the players’ union has argued that all fields should be grass. but the  fact greedy ( show me the money) owners want to cater to soccer and concerts over the health of the football players plainly sucks.

Soccer players are impacted adversely too so let’s not throw them under the bus. 

7 minutes ago, NYPantherFan said:

This is likely the main reason. The only other use for the current Bills stadium is high school football finals and the occasional concert/festival every summer. Grass bounces back quickly up here.

I've seen first hand what a soccer field looks like after a high school season where only soccer is played. It takes months to recover. I can't imagine what playing both soccer and football would do to it over the course of 2-3 months where it overlaps.

Yeah, I don’t see how they fix this without moving MLS out, but that is impossible at the moment.

I would like to see them try to use grass for one year just to see how it goes. If it can’t be maintained, then you know. It can’t be any worse than turf in 1 degree weather.

2 hours ago, NYPantherFan said:

This is likely the main reason. The only other use for the current Bills stadium is high school football finals and the occasional concert/festival every summer. Grass bounces back quickly up here.

I've seen first hand what a soccer field looks like after a high school season where only soccer is played. It takes months to recover. I can't imagine what playing both soccer and football would do to it over the course of 2-3 months where it overlaps.

We have 2 home matches in August, 2 in September and 2 in October.  So there won't be a lot of degradation to the field if it was grass. Most soccer teams in the world play on grass and I have not seen more damage in soccer versus football. If you look at the cleats of football shoes versus soccer which one tears up the field more?? Football is a lot more destructive to the field than soccer and the sod on the sidelines can be easily replaced for soccer games if needed just like we did for the Chelsea game. No there is no good reason not to have grass.

Edited by panthers55

2 hours ago, Tbe said:

Yeah, I don’t see how they fix this without moving MLS out, but that is impossible at the moment.

I would like to see them try to use grass for one year just to see how it goes. If it can’t be maintained, then you know. It can’t be any worse than turf in 1 degree weather.

It's simple.  Build a separate arena next to the stadium or close by. Keep the playing field grass and the concert hall for, you know, concerts.  

7 hours ago, NAS said:

Nice to see that Bills owner gets it while Tepper still prioritizes the bottom line over his players’ wellbeing 

Bills plan grass field for new stadium

After half a century on artificial turf, the Bills are making plans to play on grass.

The Bills had their groundbreaking ceremony at their new stadium on Monday, and afterward General Manager Brandon Beane said the stadium will have a grass field.

“Another positive is it’s going to be grass,” Beane told Pat McAfee. “We have these debates of turf vs. grass, so that was one of the big things we pushed for. It’s going to be grass like Lambeau has, have all that coil underneath to keep the field warm. So, very excited about that.”

Most NFL players prefer grass fields, and the players’ union has argued that all fields should be grass. Owners tend to prefer artificial turf for its versatility in bringing other events to stadiums. Beane said that unlike many of the modern stadiums that have been built with the idea of attracting concerts and other major events that are easier to stage on artificial surfaces, the new stadium in Buffalo is being built with football in mind.

“It’s really going to be built football-based,” he said.

The Bills’ current stadium has always used artificial turf, since it first opened in 1973. The new stadium with the grass field is expected to be ready for use in 2026.

"vErSaTiLiTy"

No, you being cheap b/c when someone drags a stage in there, if muffs up the grass and the owner has to pay to get new sod in there. That's the problem. They don't want to pay landscapers to keep the field up to snuff either. Having to mow and repaint.

• Beer 1

25 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

We have 2 home matches in August, 2 in September and 2 in October.  So there won't be a lot of degradation to the field if it was grass. Most soccer teams in the world play on grass and I have not seen more damage in soccer versus football. If you look at the cleats of football shoes versus soccer which one tears up the field more?? Football is a lot more destructive to the field than soccer and the sod on the sidelines can be easily replaced for soccer games if needed just like we did for the Chelsea game. No there is no good reason not to have grass.

I haven’t compared the schedules, but typically you would have a Panthers game on Sunday and a CFC game on Wednesday. I think a few CFC games are on Saturday.

Sod takes a week or so to take root. At least it does every time I do it in my yard.

I believe the Chelsea game is in July so they have weeks to prep. 

1 hour ago, Tbe said:

I haven’t compared the schedules, but typically you would have a Panthers game on Sunday and a CFC game on Wednesday. I think a few CFC games are on Saturday.

Sod takes a week or so to take root. At least it does every time I do it in my yard.

I believe the Chelsea game is in July so they have weeks to prep. 

Most games are Saturday but there are a few that are Wednesday and then Saturday in the same week. And this is not a regular yard. And no they didn't have weeks to prepare. We played a Saturday game on turf and less than a week layer we did grass and shifted it back again in less than a week to turf. 

4 hours ago, ladypanther said:

People thought they would love Tepper's money...well his greed comes along with it. The result is a field that is deleterious to our players' safety.

So easy to paint it that way. 

The first thing he did was make the stadium be an actual venue for other events other than football. Saybwhat you want, but that helps pay for operational costs and maintenance of the stadium.  

Having both professional soccer and football being played on the same field makes natural grass not an option, as the grass field just can't stand up to that kind of use/abuse.  This is why our field went from being one of the best in the league, to one of the worst.  

While I hate artificial turf, I understand why the decision had to be made. 

So until there is a separate soccer stadium,  I don't believe natural grass is even going to be a viable option.  

14 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

So easy to paint it that way. 

The first thing he did was make the stadium be an actual venue for other events other than football. Saybwhat you want, but that helps pay for operational costs and maintenance of the stadium.  

Having both professional soccer and football being played on the same field makes natural grass not an option, as the grass field just can't stand up to that kind of use/abuse.  This is why our field went from being one of the best in the league, to one of the worst.  

While I hate artificial turf, I understand why the decision had to be made. 

So until there is a separate soccer stadium,  I don't believe natural grass is even going to be a viable option.  

There are better and worse types of artificial turf. We should as least have the best kind. I don't think we do from what I have read.

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

There are better and worse types of artificial turf. We should as least have the best kind. I don't think we do from what I have read.

We have actually have a good type. We literally have the same stuff Seattle has I found funny when George Kittle went on a tirade about ours even though he plays on the same surface at least once a year.

22 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

We use FieldTurf. Same as Atlanta, Detroit, New England, Seattle, and Giants/Jets.