• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bills new stadium will have a grass field

NAS

Nice to see that Bills owner gets it while Tepper still prioritizes the bottom line over his players’ wellbeing 

Bills plan grass field for new stadium

After half a century on artificial turf, the Bills are making plans to play on grass.

The Bills had their groundbreaking ceremony at their new stadium on Monday, and afterward General Manager Brandon Beane said the stadium will have a grass field.

“Another positive is it’s going to be grass,” Beane told Pat McAfee. “We have these debates of turf vs. grass, so that was one of the big things we pushed for. It’s going to be grass like Lambeau has, have all that coil underneath to keep the field warm. So, very excited about that.”

Most NFL players prefer grass fields, and the players’ union has argued that all fields should be grass. Owners tend to prefer artificial turf for its versatility in bringing other events to stadiums. Beane said that unlike many of the modern stadiums that have been built with the idea of attracting concerts and other major events that are easier to stage on artificial surfaces, the new stadium in Buffalo is being built with football in mind.

“It’s really going to be built football-based,” he said.

The Bills’ current stadium has always used artificial turf, since it first opened in 1973. The new stadium with the grass field is expected to be ready for use in 2026.

• Pie 7
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

We need to follow the Panthers North team, if they can grow grass up there then we sure as heck can do it down here. 

The change here was a terrible idea. Football is meant to be played on real grass and dirt.

The change was made because soccer is also played in the fall. 

I doubt we’ll get a grass field again until Charlotte Fc plays elsewhere.

43 minutes ago, Tbe said:

The change was made because soccer is also played in the fall. 

I doubt we’ll get a grass field again until Charlotte Fc plays elsewhere.

I don't mind not having soccer one bit.

But that sport was probably meant to be played on grass, too.

• Pie 4

Matt Rhule, clown that he is, got Nebraska to move back to grass on at least their practice/outdoor fields (not clear if in the stadium as well) after having FieldTurf since 1999 and other artificials in the stadium even before that. To whatever degree of influence he has up there, he does have a somewhat unique perspective on it since BoA moved from grass to turf during his time here.

Edited by KSpan
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, NAS said:

Soccer players don’t like turf either, so I’m not following your logic.

Tepper made it clear the turf was so they can have concerts and not have to worry about the effect on the grass field 

The issue may be keeping the grass alive and in good condition when MLS and NFL games are being held back to back. 

I know the NFL ‘bench’ areas where 100+ people trample through it during a game is in the field of play for a MLS game. Grass just doesn’t bounce back that quickly.

Turf condition was the main rationale I heard for going to fake turf.

14 minutes ago, Tbe said:

The issue may be keeping the grass alive and in good condition when MLS and NFL games are being held back to back. 

I know the NFL ‘bench’ areas where 100+ people trample through it during a game is in the field of play for a MLS game. Grass just doesn’t bounce back that quickly.

Turf condition was the main rationale I heard for going to fake turf.

This is likely the main reason. The only other use for the current Bills stadium is high school football finals and the occasional concert/festival every summer. Grass bounces back quickly up here.

I've seen first hand what a soccer field looks like after a high school season where only soccer is played. It takes months to recover. I can't imagine what playing both soccer and football would do to it over the course of 2-3 months where it overlaps.

The fact most NFL players prefer grass fields, and the players’ union has argued that all fields should be grass. but the  fact greedy ( show me the money) owners want to cater to soccer and concerts over the health of the football players plainly sucks.

• Pie 2