• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Evaluating Matt Moore

mav1234

Here is my attempt at an unbias view of Moore's last couple games (with a little nod to his previous starts a couple years ago).

Things I liked about today's game or in general:

-He spreads the ball out. I feel like he gives receivers a chance to get the ball if they're open.

-He is capable of making some reads and finding open receivers... most of the time.

-He is getting Smith involved deep. This is huge, and the single largest aspect of our offense missing in earlier weeks

-No turnovers! Despite making some bad throws, he limited the number of changes for picks and he came out without a turnover this game.

-Pocket awareness and ability to use his feet to prolong plays and make completions - thanks ChucktownK!

Things I didn't like (blame it on him or the coaches):

-Throwing 30 times in such a close game. I don't know how many were run/throw options, so blaming him solely for this isn't fair.

-Seeming lack of vision of the field and understanding the playclock.

-Overthrows and underthrows. We all saw them. One play in particular was a touchdown to Smitty instead of a FG if he floats it over his head instead of chucking it into the ground.

-Floaters... he seems to like just lofting it up, but this allows time for people to react under the ball =(

Overall, I would say he is a work in progress and shouldn't be dismissed yet. It is clear he is not "The Savior of the Franchise" in his current state... but for those of us that want Fox gone very bad, that isn't a terrible thing, since if we go 8-8 or 9-7, Fox is probably back. At the same time, I want Moore and the Panthers to play well and win. It's too early to say we should just immediately cut him, but he is also not showing us much yet.

The next two games will be critical in determining his future as a Panther and his future as a QB in this league. If he has two more decent games, he'll land someplace as a back. With two good games, he could be a starter - here or elsewhere.

What did you guys like and not like about Moore this week?

I completely expect him to have a terrible game in one of the next three - he will be asked to do too much and someone will make him pay.

At the same time, I think that both the Giants and the Saints are games where he can really make his case to Fox or the next coach going into training camp that he deserves to be here and to start.

He is a game manager at this point, but one that can really gun it. It was nice to see a post route without a safety in Smitty's face - did anyone see why that was? Bad read by NE or did Moore look them off? I was too excited about the TD to notice what caused it.

If he has one legitimately great game somewhere in the last three, there's a chance that he'll be the starter next year for the new head coach and we may put off getting a new quarterback until the 2011 Draft when we'll have a first round pick again. Maybe we'll go after Terrelle Pryor or Blaine Gabbert.

I was quite upset with Moore's decision on fourth and long to dump it off to D-Will, but the more I thought about it, the more I couldn't find fault. I just wish he hadn't taken a sack the play before... why was he under center on 3rd and 10 when there was no chance of a run? bah... but again, it's so hard for me to differentiate between his own failing and playcalling sometimes.

he didn't handle the pressure at the end all that well. a lot of that has to do with him being so green. i just don't see anything out him that would have me believe he is anything more a QB who is than better than jake. many rookies coming out of the draft next year can pull that off. most FAs hitting the street next year can pull that off as well.

i want someone who is going to kill defenses that want to concentrate their efforts on stopping the run. someone who can, if necessary, carry the game on his back. someone that is going to take the team over the top. moore just doesn't look to have it.

Archived