• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Michael Oher claims Tuohy family tricked him into agreeing to conservatorship

hepcat

27 minutes ago, xPariahx said:

based on what I have been reading. Sounds like Mike is now mad that he doesn't have more money. So he's trying to recoup royalties he declined from the beginning, by suing. The Tuohys seem to have always been transparent with him. The whole time he was here is attitude was moderately negative about the movie.

Not sure we can say at this point that they were transparent with him.  And what is with the conservatorship (that he did not qualify for) when they could have done an adoption...even though it would have taken more time. If you truly wanted him to be a part of the family, some extra time should not matter.  They chose the route where they got financial control....not a family member.  What they did with that control is in question. I have to wonder if there was also a connection with them wanting him to go to Ole Miss?

Well only knowing what the movie showed it appears that Mr. Oher is out of money and looking for a way to recoup money he thinks he is entitled to.

We saw a young man roaming the streets and a white couple take him in and treat him as a son. They got him on the field and low and behold he's a monster LT.

I think the it is going to be hard to convince the courts that they tricked him.  It sounds more like they got him to sign the conservatory and now that he is out of money he's looking to get some of it.

I see both side so whoever wins, so be it 

The claims from both sides seem they'd be easy to prove in court. If they've tried to pay him half of everything and he refused so they established a trust account for his son theres receipts. Likewise if his life story was pimped out and he didn't receive a dime and he wasn't actually adopted thats also pretty verifiable. 

I hope whoever is in the right (and in the wrong too I suppose) gets what they deserve. 

I will say, I have to wonder what's happened with Oher since he left the NFL. He was never the same after that week 3 game and concussion against the Vikings as a player. Cant help but wonder if CTE could be a factor here. That picture he posted was super haunting. 

Screenshot_20230814_220642_Chrome.jpg

• Pie 1

44 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Not sure we can say at this point that they were transparent with him.  And what is with the conservatorship (that he did not qualify for) when they could have done an adoption...even though it would have taken more time. If you truly wanted him to be a part of the family, some extra time should not matter.  They chose the route where they got financial control....not a family member.  What they did with that control is in question. I have to wonder if there was also a connection with them wanting him to go to Ole Miss?

didn't Oher turn 18 during his senior year of HS?   Could they have legally adopted him?  That probably is a long process with complicated birth parents in a tiny window.     I mean, I would assume wanting him to be "family" didn't happen immediately during his senior year. 

The he wasn't adopted thing.....  I could get totally see a family using that language even if it wasn't technically true.  And it not being a sinister deception.  Because who would want to say,  this is Micheal he sort of is family.  We have a conservatorship to help him out and protect him.  Which he frankly probably needed. You just call him your adopted son.  

I could imagine well intended or bad intended thoughts knowing so little.  You could basically tell me to paint them sinister or good and I could at this stage knowing so little. 

anyway, sounds like the best decision would have been to say no to a movie.  For Oher.  For that family. 

• Beer 1

40 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Well only knowing what the movie showed it appears that Mr. Oher is out of money and looking for a way to recoup money he thinks he is entitled to.

We saw a young man roaming the streets and a white couple take him in and treat him as a son. They got him on the field and low and behold he's a monster LT.

I think the it is going to be hard to convince the courts that they tricked him.  It sounds more like they got him to sign the conservatory and now that he is out of money he's looking to get some of it.

I see both side so whoever wins, so be it 

He was supposedly already a bad ass on the field before the Tuhoys. He was all state without them but the movie didnt show that.

19 minutes ago, CRA said:

didn't Oher turn 18 during his senior year of HS?   Could they have legally adopted him?  That probably is a long process with complicated birth parents in a tiny window.     I mean, I would assume wanting him to be "family" didn't happen immediately during his senior year. 

The he wasn't adopted thing.....  I could get totally see a family using that language even if it wasn't technically true.  And it not being a sinister deception.  Because who would want to say,  this is Micheal he sort of is family.  We have a conservatorship to help him out and protect him.  Which he frankly probably needed. You just call him your adopted son.  

I could imagine well intended or bad intended thoughts knowing so little.  You could basically tell me to paint them sinister or good and I could at this stage knowing so little. 

anyway, sounds like the best decision would have been to say no to a movie.  For Oher.  For that family. 

Thats a pretty good assessment there in my opinion

21 minutes ago, CRA said:

Could the Tuohys have adopted Oher once he turned 18?
Yes. According to Tennessee law, “When petitioner seeks to adopt a person who is eighteen years of age or older, only the sworn, written consent of the person sought to be adopted shall be required and no order of reference or any home studies need be issued.”

If the Tuohys would have adopted Oher, the family wouldn’t have had the legal rights to make decisions for him once he turned 18 since he would be a legal adult. That’s unlike a conservatorship where the conservator controls the financial decisions for the ward.

https://theathletic.com/4778704/2023/08/15/michael-oher-conservatorship-blind-side/

Lewis[book author and Sean's high school classmate] said he believed the Tuohy family chose a conservatorship for Oher because the process was quicker than traditional adoption. And they were concerned about the NCAA investigating Oher’s choice to attend the University of Mississippi, where the Tuohys were boosters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/08/16/michael-lewis-blind-side-lawsuit/

23 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Could the Tuohys have adopted Oher once he turned 18?
Yes. According to Tennessee law, “When petitioner seeks to adopt a person who is eighteen years of age or older, only the sworn, written consent of the person sought to be adopted shall be required and no order of reference or any home studies need be issued.”

If the Tuohys would have adopted Oher, the family wouldn’t have had the legal rights to make decisions for him once he turned 18 since he would be a legal adult. That’s unlike a conservatorship where the conservator controls the financial decisions for the ward.

https://theathletic.com/4778704/2023/08/15/michael-oher-conservatorship-blind-side/

Lewis[book author and Sean's high school classmate] said he believed the Tuohy family chose a conservatorship for Oher because the process was quicker than traditional adoption. And they were concerned about the NCAA investigating Oher’s choice to attend the University of Mississippi, where the Tuohys were boosters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/08/16/michael-lewis-blind-side-lawsuit/

gotcha.   

I mean, unless there is something there not seen....I don't think the conservatorship was about them trying to enrich themselves.  Sounds like they had f you money.   

Doing it so he could go to Ole Miss?  that part is just going to sit weird.  I would think once that became an area of some concern.  The proper thing would have been to of steered Oher elsewhere.  Because that's the part that looks the worse.  Not them making money but the look of them wanting to help their college football team.   And traditionally, that what big f you booster folks play with. 

and I could see Oher finding out he wasn't legally adopted after thinking he was.....and reacting poorly.  If he went his whole adult life believing it. 

32 minutes ago, CRA said:

gotcha.   

I mean, unless there is something there not seen....I don't think the conservatorship was about them trying to enrich themselves.  Sounds like they had f you money.   

Absurdly wealthy people with fug you money still fuging over other people to accumulate even more wealthy is the primary driving force of "the economy". 😂

• Pie 2