• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College Football 2023

jayboogieman

7 minutes ago, Panthera onca said:

Dabo has some Matt Rhule in him for sure.

lol.  I mean, yall enjoy your moment.  Not trying to take that away from ACC and Gamecock fans.

But yeah, Dabo is a college great.   12 straight years of double digit wins w/ a top 25 finish.  Mixing in 2 nattys in the process.  Best run of any non-SEC school in college football history.  Matt Rhule is a wish.com Dabo. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

He's an ideal college coach though. Great recruiter and motivator, but not the type of Xs and Os guy that the NFL is going to be clamoring after. Well, unless Tepper gets infatuated I guess 

As bad as klubnik looked last night, and he looked terrible, I think Carolina wins the ACC Champ game LY if Dabo doesn’t make the switch. 

• Pie 1

Just now, 4Corners said:

As bad as klubnik looked last night, and he looked terrible, I think Carolina wins the ACC Champ game LY if Dabo doesn’t make the switch. 

Oh, 100%. There's no way they were gonna generate any offense with the way DJ was playing. He wasn't even throwing in the zip code of receivers. It's just really weird that Clemson young backup QBs can step in and play well in spot duty then just fall off a cliff as the starter. It's way too early to write Klubnik's Clemson obituary just yet but man, last night was not good.

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He's an ideal college coach though. Great recruiter and motivator, but not the type of Xs and Os guy that the NFL is going to be clamoring after. Well, unless Tepper gets infatuated I guess 

Exactly, that wasn't really meant as a slight at Dabo, I am an ACC guy through and through. Dabo is a hype man and recruiter but needs coaching help to succeed. Losing Venables is hurting Clem big time. 

• Pie 2

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Oh, 100%. There's no way they were gonna generate any offense with the way DJ was playing. He wasn't even throwing in the zip code of receivers. It's just really weird that Clemson young backup QBs can step in and play well in spot duty then just fall off a cliff as the starter. It's way too early to write Klubnik's Clemson obituary just yet but man, last night was not good.

yeah, I'm not writing him off yet.  I think you got to give Garrett Riley some time too.   Got to think they can look much better than they did. 

7 minutes ago, Panthera onca said:

Exactly, that wasn't really meant as a slight at Dabo, I am an ACC guy through and through. Dabo is a hype man and recruiter but needs coaching help to succeed. Losing Venables is hurting Clem big time. 

They could still have Venables.  That wouldn't address the primary problem in Clemson of late.   The ability to throw the ball past the line of scrimmage. 

Clemson D has actually been pretty sound.  When you factor in the load on their shoulders each week and what it takes to keep Clemson in a game.   No way a D can be really good w/ an offense as bad as the one Clemson has been putting out there.  

44 minutes ago, CRA said:

Clemson has absurd talent vs the rest of the ACC.   That's just a fact. 

Poor QB play is just as big of a game changer as great QB play.   That's the issue.  Not recruiting.  Not talent. 

and DJU and Cade were both the #1 QB recruits in the entire nation of their classes.  You can't recruit better than the #1 QB of a class.   He didn't stop recruiting talent. Dabo has them instantly looking like middle schoolers. 

and it certainly appears Dabo has just put his thumbprint on this O to a fault.  I can call the plays ahead of time.  It's been that way for years.  So you know a college defense can figure it out.    

Clemson went 11-3 last year with arguably THE worst QB play in all the power 5.  Was pretty much the same the year prior too.   Clemson can pull off those great bad years with no QB play.....because the talent in Clemson isn't comparable elsewhere in the ACC

You’re basing “talent” on how many stars a kid got in high school not how they develop or fit a system. Talent doesn’t slide 1 yard short of the sticks, fumble twice on goal to go, drop pass after pass or show absolutely no desire to overcome adversity. 

Clemson certainly has a very talented roster but that didn't look like a typical Clemson roster last night. Usually they are very obviously head and shoulders more talented, athletic, and stronger than the other team. It just looks like men against boys. I didn't see that last night. Duke looked like they belonged on the field athletically and physically with Clemson. That's honestly more shocking to me than the outcome of the game.

Duke heating Clemson should look and feel flukey. That didn't look and feel flukey. 

9 minutes ago, weyco2000 said:

You’re basing “talent” on how many stars a kid got in high school not how they develop or fit a system. Talent doesn’t slide 1 yard short of the sticks, fumble twice on goal to go, drop pass after pass or show absolutely no desire to overcome adversity. 

Tony Grimes was one of the top corners coming out of HS. He did absolutely nothing at UNC and was obviously afraid to tackle after returning from a nasty concussion last season. I don’t know if he even played for TxAM on Saturday.  Some dudes just don’t got that dog in em. 

34 minutes ago, weyco2000 said:

nah, some of this is just piling on.  Which is fine.  That's sports.  People claiming Clemson doesn't recruit talent anymore.  Then when showed how absurd their recruiting has been.....claiming that's now how you should measure recruiting. Sometimes teams just have a bad day.  A comical day.  Which means you lose a game where you go 200 rushing and 200 passing.... despite your previous record being 108-0 when doing that. 

A team struggling to find an offensive identity (with a new OC and essentially a new QB) lost an opening day game to a pretty decent team on the road.   They had a bad day.  Some if it was Duke.  Some of it was Clemson.  Bad days happen in sports.  You just hope you can find a way to win when it all goes bad. 

Clemson went 11-3 and won the ACC championship last year with no QB play.  They did it not just because of the stars recruits get but because they have the best overall talent on their roster in the ACC.  Which was true before kickoff and is still true today.  

Mufah and Shipley are talented. A bad day doesn't rewrite that book because of two fumbles they were part of.  

And Cade had 1 start to his name.   Young QBs.  Kids.  Do some really stupid stuff in the process of learning. He had a bad slide.  You want to define him as a player off that? lol.   You can just look at Clemson.  Trevor Lawerence did all sorts of stupid stuff early in his first season.....in a season that ended up being an undefeated natty run where they dominated Bama.   So apparently that got all erased. They essentially would have to bench him for Kelly Bryant to clean up the mess early on at times.   It takes time.  It's not the end of times or Clemson. 

You can have all the talent in the world on your roster - BUT if you have subpar QB play the rest of your roster doesn’t matter. Quarterback is the most important position in sports. If your QB sucks you might be able to skate bye for a bit but when it’s gonna eventually get you. 

• Pie 1