• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

These types of Referee blunders are 100% unacceptable

KillerKat

2 minutes ago, Montsta said:

How there can be any scenario where a returner gets horse collared BADLY at the 1 yard line, and the receiving team then starts at that 1 yard line is beyond me. I don’t care if one of our blockers shot one of their guys during the return. You either rekick or get the extra 15 yards, it’s unbelievable this rule could exist if accurately called yesterday. 

Exactly, how does a team get flagged for the illegal horse collar and also benefit from that said horse collar? There is no Dean Blandino explanation that will make it make sense. 

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, TANTRIC-NINJA said:

Exactly, how does a team get flagged for the illegal horse collar and also benefit from that said horse collar? There is no Dean Blandino explanation that will make it make sense. 

Literally we were the only team that got punished from that play.. And they had the most agreegious penalty 

On 9/10/2023 at 3:54 PM, KillerKat said:

- Reviewing a catch that shouldve been incomplete and ruling it a completion.

- Reviewing a TD that shouldnt have been as the runner stepped out of bounds before the goal line.

- Keeping the ball at the 1 yard line after penalties on both sides on the punt return. This one should definitely be sent into the league. Never seen this before ever since I started watching football in the early 90s.

- Calling Dpi on us after the receiver was all over our own defender.

Yes I know these arent the main reason why we lost, but each one was significant. I expected us to not look like where we should be in game 1 with new everything, but this sh!t right here is what turns me off from football. Ive already stopped watching other games after the head hunting to Cam in the Super Bowl and game 1 the following season. If these types of significant calls continue through out the season, I may be done with football all together.

I know you’re looking at it as a Panthers fan going by your list but there were also a lot of dumb calls on the Falcons as well - which is to your main point.

Refs are an outdated and unneeded part of the game that keeps the old ass owners happy stating it basically keeps some ‘uknown/randomness’ in the game. In other words they are aware of and like the element of human error as if it creates some excitement.

This is just a business to them after all. Don’t think for a second an owner’s first thought after appearing happy after a win or success isn’t how much better the money is going to be.

In reality this day an age refs are completely obsolete in most situations.

Edited by onmyown

40 minutes ago, onmyown said:

I know you’re looking at it as a Panthers fan going by your list but there were also a lot of dumb calls on the Falcons as well - which is to your main point.

Refs are an outdated and unneeded part of the game that keeps the old ass owners happy stating it basically keeps some ‘uknown/randomness’ in the game. In other words they are aware of and like the element of human error as if it creates some excitement.

This is just a business to them after all. Don’t think for a second an owner’s first thought after appearing happy after a win or success isn’t how much better the money is going to be.

In reality this day an age refs are completely obsolete in most situations.

do you mind elaborating this? Im curious how any sport would look without some sort of mechanism in place to keep the game fair and by the rules...

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

do you mind elaborating this? Im curious how any sport would look without some sort of mechanism in place to keep the game fair and by the rules...

I said they are obsolete in MOST situations. Refs were needed before the advancements we have today.

Imagine something like a technologically laser-gridded field and computer chips in the ball and player equipment (helmets/pads) to easily assess things like fumbles, crossing the goal lines, stepping out of bounds, offside, false starts, even late hits, maybe even holding etc. I mean the majority of things refs spot, we don’t need 70 year old eyes spotting these things.

Now as I said it’s just most because things like some instances of (not all some could still be determined with technology) PI can’t really be called without eyes on the field but…let’s even take it down a notch. Eyes on the field can simply be upgraded cameras. Refs sitting in a booth calling plays using simple technology.

I mean as it stands now, think about it - when the refs don’t know or are challenged they LITERALLY waddle over to a video replay lol. And there is this big challenge thing from coaches. Then some announcement of what the video showed them. For what? Why? Just have refs in a booth watching and calling those. What’s wrong with that? Less commercials? It’s for ‘entertainment’ and it’s lame.

Owners have already spoke about this and admitted technological advances could basically eliminate a lot of ways games are officiated but said something to the effect of what I posted. ‘A human element (along with error) is kept in the game to make it more unpredictable/fun. I think were the words they used. Like how fuging stupid. I care about accuracy.

I mean there are always flaws in technology and I’m not saying implementations are perfect but I’d bet money they’d be more accurate that 70 year old eyes and human error. Just look at this poo show officiating year after year.

I’d be very curious how games would look with these implementations along working with some human element like refs in booths analyzing things with superior cameras and a gridded field.

/rant

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 1

4 minutes ago, onmyown said:

I said they are obsolete in MOST situations. Refs were needed before the advancements we have today.

Imagine something like a technologically laser-gridded field and computer chips in the ball and player equipment (helmets/pads) to easily assess things like fumbles, crossing the goal lines, stepping out of bounds, offside, false starts, even late hits, maybe even holding etc. I mean the majority of things refs spot, we don’t need 70 year old eyes spotting these things.

Now as I said it’s just most because things like some instances of (not all some could still be determined with technology) PI can’t really be called without eyes on the field but…let’s even take it down a notch. Eyes on the field can simply be upgraded cameras. Refs sitting in a booth calling plays using simple technology.

I mean as it stands now, think about it - when the refs don’t know or are challenged they LITERALLY waddle over to a video replay lol. And there is this big challenge thing from coaches. Then some announcement of what the video showed them. For what? Why? Just have refs in a booth watching and calling those. What’s wrong with that? Less commercials? It’s for ‘entertainment’ and it’s lame.

Owners have already spoke about this and admitted technological advances could basically eliminate a lot of ways games are officiated but said something to the effect of what I posted. ‘A human element (along with error) is kept in the game to make it more unpredictable/fun. I think were the words they used. Like how fuging stupid. I care about accuracy.

I mean there are always flaws in technology and I’m not saying implementations are perfect but I’d bet money they’d be more accurate that 70 year old eyes and human error. Just look at this poo show officiating year after year.

I’d be very curious how games would look with these implementations along working with some human element like refs in booths analyzing things with superior cameras and a gridded field.

/rant

thanks for elaborating. I hope I didnt come off offensive... I was just curious of your perspective

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

thanks for elaborating. I hope I didnt come off offensive... I was just curious of your perspective

Not at all. Some of what I posted is actually already happening. Some might not quite be possible. But some of it is. I am weary of the NFL taking out the human element though.

One can only hope one day in our lifetimes we will see a very limited human involvement in the officiating of games.

https://huddleup.substack.com/p/why-the-nfl-puts-computer-chips-in#:~:text=The ball's chip can accurately,accurate offside calls within seconds.

3 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Not at all. Some of what I posted is actually already happening. Some might not quite be possible. But some of it is. I am weary of the NFL taking out the human element though.

One can only hope one day in our lifetimes we will see a very limited human involvement in the officiating of games.

https://huddleup.substack.com/p/why-the-nfl-puts-computer-chips-in#:~:text=The ball's chip can accurately,accurate offside calls within seconds.

Definitely going to read this!! Thank you for sharing

• Pie 1

On 9/10/2023 at 3:54 PM, KillerKat said:

- Reviewing a catch that shouldve been incomplete and ruling it a completion.

- Reviewing a TD that shouldnt have been as the runner stepped out of bounds before the goal line.

- Keeping the ball at the 1 yard line after penalties on both sides on the punt return. This one should definitely be sent into the league. Never seen this before ever since I started watching football in the early 90s.

- Calling Dpi on us after the receiver was all over our own defender.

Yes I know these arent the main reason why we lost, but each one was significant. I expected us to not look like where we should be in game 1 with new everything, but this sh!t right here is what turns me off from football. Ive already stopped watching other games after the head hunting to Cam in the Super Bowl and game 1 the following season. If these types of significant calls continue through out the season, I may be done with football all together.

We now have betting on games.